Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
FrozenVomit
Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Post by FrozenVomit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:06 pm

I’m searching for an Item that augment thread weaving. Do you know one?

We are playing 1st edition.

Or, is there a list of all the magic item somewhere?

Anunnaki

Re: [ED1] Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Post by Anunnaki » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Hiya,

There aren't many items (common magic, blood charms, thread items, magical treasures) that augment Thread Weaving. Thread Weaving is integral to, well, weaving threads to things, so items that provide a bonus are a rare thing, compared to those that affect Spellcasting. Additionally, Thread Weaving is unique to each Discipline, so those few items that do provide a benefit tend to be specific to one type of Thread Weaving.

A check of the ED1 Rulebook, Companion, Magic: A Manual of Mystic Secrets, Arcane Mysteries, GM Pack, and Barsaive Campaign set gives:

Talisman Statue (GM Pack, p.43)
Bracers of Firewind (Arcane Mysteries of Barsaive, p.78)
The Robe of Dianuus (Arcane Mysteries of Barsaive, p.89)

Added from other books (and this is all, as far as I can tell):

Blades of Cara Fahd (Blades, p.11; not specifically Thread Weaving, but it can improve this talent)
Horn of the Seven Winds (Serpent River, p.129)

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James
Last edited by Anunnaki on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrozenVomit

Re: Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Post by FrozenVomit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Wow Thanks! You know your books.

But, we might create an Item just for that or make a house rule that Spellcasting is use to weave thread into spell, even though we play in 1st edition. (Thread weaving is use to weave thread in spell in 1st edition)

It should not be a problem, right?

Anunnaki

Post by Anunnaki » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Hiya,

Honestly, I wouldn't use Spellcasting to weave a thread (that's not how Spellcasting works ... it casts spells, while Thread Weaving ... weaves threads).

In terms of creating an item that enhances Thread Weaving, as I noted, the few items that enhance Thread Weaving are specific about the type of Thread Weaving. Mostly, it's Elementalism (because the items are used for Elementalism things).

I'm not sure why you're wanting to improve Thread Weaving, other than maybe to weave spell threads quicker? Most difficulty numbers are achievable with a Karma Point to add some surety to the test.

In terms of making an item. Items that grant a bonus to Thread Weaving Step would definitely be better than items that increase Thread Weaving Rank -- the former is making the test easier; the latter has a knock on effect (Can I now weave higher threads to magic items? Is that only while wearing/using the item? What happens if I take off/stop using the item -- do I lose the thread?). Hopefully you can see where I'm going with this.

None of the items mentioned above improve Thread Weaving Rank. Also, all of them are Magical Treasures, as opposed to Thread Items, so they are very rare to unique.

Ultimately, how you and your group want to run your Earthdawn is up to you! As long as you're having fun, it's all good. :) Because there are not a lot of published items that meet this criteria does not mean you can't make your own. Just make sure you think about the implications when you do.

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Ninja'd by Anunnaki, but posting anyway....

You almost certainly don't want to conflate Thread Weaving with Spellcasting, as that can too easily overpower Spellcasting (providing little need for magicians to invest in Thread Weaving, which is one of the balances for high-power spells).

Are you looking for providing a boost to just one magician type (wizard, elementalist, etc.)? Or something generic to all disciplines?

If just 1, have it boost Elementalism or whichever is appropriate.

Fourth edition lists "+1 to...a Thread Weaving test" as an ability for any thread rank. That should translate well enough to 1E. That bonus could be a "+1 to any Thread Weaving test to weave spell threads", limiting the danger of making it too broadly useful.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

FrozenVomit

Post by FrozenVomit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Yes, my mistake, 4ED also use thread weaving to weave thread in a spell.

We’ll go with the home made Item.

And yes it’s to cast faster 😁

Anunnaki

Post by Anunnaki » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:41 pm

FrozenVomit wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:28 pm
I had a hunch ... :D

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:52 pm

FrozenVomit wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:28 pm
If it's to cast faster, might I make a suggestion?

Give it a spell matrix.

Add boosts to tests for thread weaving and/or spellcasting for only the spell(s) in the matrix.

Give it an (higher-tiered) ability to use strain to allow casting a spell in the matrix as a simple action if thread weaving was used that round to weave a thread to the spell, and all necessary threads are woven.

It could start as a standard matrix and then later become a shared matrix, allowing 2 spells to be cast more quickly.

This prevents EVERY spell from being cast too quickly but still allows a choice spell or two.

Oh, and maybe it provides bonuses to reattuning on the fly (generally or just with its own matrix). The overall theme is speed-casting, anyway, right?
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Never played 1E. Why are you able to cast faster with an higher thread weaving talent? :shock:
Just looked it up, it works just the same as in other editions: With high enough a roll you can weave multiple threads at once.
But I never had problems with weaving threads and just one to three more ranks won't change much?

Anunnaki

Post by Anunnaki » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Reattuning On The Fly is also a consideration (ED1 Rulebook, p.154), for when you have the wrong spell in your matrix and you need that "Kill Horrible Thing!" spell right now (Reattunement Difficulty Numbers tend to be a lot higher). Magicians with a high Thread Weaving Step don't tend to be as concerned about having the wrong spell attuned when they can "reasonably reliably" swap spells in and out of matrixes.

Take kaer, James