Multi-Discipline - Old Skill, New Talent v4

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
True Neutral
Multi-Discipline - Old Skill, New Talent v4

Post by True Neutral » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:16 pm

In the Multi-Disciplining rules, Players Guide v4, p.457, there are excellent explanations for the interaction between talents purchased for earlier Disciplines and talents purchased for the new Discipline. I did not find a reference for skills learned previously that are now available as Discipline Talents.

For example, my Windling Illusionist Oren, Bearer of Glad Tidings, Delver of Mysteries, was raised by a Troubadour and thus has a storytelling leaning to his work, including learning Emotion Song and Heartening Laugh as skills under her tutelage. At the end of his adventures with trusted companions for his kaer, Oren found he was often called upon to retell the stories of their adventures to inform the kaer of the outside world. With his new understanding of the world as a Journeyman Illusionist, Oren realizes that his calling encompasses more than a single Discipline's perspective and that a Troubadour's view of the world is his as well.

So the question is, as a Fifth circle Illusionist with the skills Emotion Song (rank 2) and Heartening Laugh (rank 2), and the Illusionist Talent First Impression (rank 5) Oren needs to train for the First circle Troubadour Discipline Talents( Emotion Song, Heartening Laugh, First Impression, Item History and Story Weaving) - Does he need to spend Legend Points on Emotion Song and Heartening Laugh?

My suggestion is that they operate similarly to Talent Options to new Discipline Talent, that one replaces the other and has to be improved using the new Discipline cost from that point, but without recovering the skill cost to learn something new. I could see a case made for requiring the same or half the study time 40/20 hours in order to learn how to funnel magic through the former skill to use as a talent (be able to spend Karma on it). This would allow for a smooth transition, similar to the talent to talent comparison and avoid the weirdness of having a skill at one rank and the talent at the other.

With this scenario, Oren would spend the 200 Legend points each for Item History and Story Weaving at first rank, train for those and to use Emotion Song and Heartening Laugh as talents, and then his First Impression would simply function for both as per standard rules. Does that seem reasonable?

True Neutral

Re: Multi-Discipline - Old Skill, New Talent v4

Post by True Neutral » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 pm

I think I can answer my own question on further research. In the Skills versus Talents on p.183 of the Players Guide it notes that some Adepts will have both Talent and Skill versions of some things. So my conclusion is that having the skill has no effect, you would still need to learn that same thing as a Talent for your new Discipline.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:32 pm

True Neutral wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 pm
I think I can answer my own question on further research. In the Skills versus Talents on p.183 of the Players Guide it notes that some Adepts will have both Talent and Skill versions of some things. So my conclusion is that having the skill has no effect, you would still need to learn that same thing as a Talent for your new Discipline.
Although I cannot quote any rules, this is how my groups always played it. Skills are completely independent of Talents and vice versa.

This is why, at some point, it gets cheaper to increase your read and write language and/or speak language SKILLS when the same TALENTS are getting 'too high'.

In fact, I remember playing with a group where the 'tanks' learned the hard way to put at least a few ranks in their Melee Weapons SKILLS for whenever an Horror screw them up with Suppress Magic: Skills are not affected by that.

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Thu May 02, 2019 5:54 am

There was realigning skills as talents optional rule in third edition. You may check it out :).