High-Circle Preview: Archer

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Mataxes
High-Circle Preview: Archer

Post by Mataxes » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:29 pm

In case you missed the story on the main page, the preview of the Warden and Master tiers for the Archer Discipline went live with the new site.

Any thoughts or comments? Post them here!
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

The Undying

Re: High-Circle Preview: Archer

Post by The Undying » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:40 am

The preview is nice, but I'd really like to see some commentary to go along with it. What was changed and why? Is there any meaningful difference from early editions, especially where Archer fits at the higher Circle? Panda often covers these kinds of things over in his Gaming Grove with the "Anatomy of a Discipline" entries, and while it is a bit unfair to compare this site with that site, the current preview just feels very flat as a vanilla "here's some text". Great to see it's moving forward though! Very excited to get my hands on the Companion, especially the updated Knacks and Enchanting content.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 am

The Undying wrote:The preview is nice, but I'd really like to see some commentary to go along with it. What was changed and why? Is there any meaningful difference from early editions, especially where Archer fits at the higher Circle? Panda often covers these kinds of things over in his Gaming Grove with the "Anatomy of a Discipline" entries, and while it is a bit unfair to compare this site with that site, the current preview just feels very flat as a vanilla "here's some text". Great to see it's moving forward though! Very excited to get my hands on the Companion, especially the updated Knacks and Enchanting content.
Commentary will be forthcoming (I was already thinking about doing a second post to highlight and discuss the most notable changes and new talents). The preview was done up as we were hammering out the new theme, trying out different back-end stuff, figuring out formatting, etc.

I think what I may do with later posts (because other Disciplines will be previewed) is have the commentary highlighting the changes first, and the full progression as a follow-up.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:22 am

Awesome, looking forward to it. I'm sure it's all just personal preference, but for me, I'd rather see the commentary before the results.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:26 am

The Undying wrote:Awesome, looking forward to it. I'm sure it's all just personal preference, but for me, I'd rather see the commentary before the results.
I'd like to second this. Or third it, if I include Josh.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:47 pm

And it looks like Morgan's already on the case. Not going quite the same way I was in my draft, but it's something to start with.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:04 pm

I'm liking the look of the preview. Makes me want to read all the new Talent descriptions.

I have a question about the Karma benefit at 11th Circle
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point once per round on a Perception-based test against an opponent they have damaged since the beginning of the previous round.
Would this allow a second Karma to be spent on a Per-based Talent?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Dougansf wrote:I'm liking the look of the preview. Makes me want to read all the new Talent descriptions.

I have a question about the Karma benefit at 11th Circle
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point once per round on a Perception-based test against an opponent they have damaged since the beginning of the previous round.
Would this allow a second Karma to be spent on a Per-based Talent?
Yes. This stacking helps emphasize the themes and abilities of a given Discipline. They can pour more 'magic' into it.

While only one point of Karma can be spent from a given 'source' (unless otherwise specified -- like with True Shot), multiple sources can each contribute a Karma. This is specifically called out in the Companion in the section preceding the Discipline progressions.

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 am

But it is not still the same source (Discipline Ability)?

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:54 am

Might help to think of them as abilities instead of sources?

All Adepts have a "can spend a karma on Talents" abilities. Let's then take an imaginary Discipline and give them two more abilities. Say at Circle 3, they gain "can spend karma on Perception-based tests" ability. Then, at Circle 5, they gain "can spend karma on tests that target a Namegiver race" ability.

So, technically, those are all Discipline-derived. Other things can also give you karma "abilities."

Just using those three abilities, here's how things could play out for a Circle 5 Adept of our mythical Discipline:

- Adept attempts to use Melee Weapon (Dex) against a horror. Can spend 1 karma (first ability).
- Adept attempts to use Melee Weapon against an Elf. Can spend 2 karma (first and last).
- Adept attempts to use Spellcasting (Per) against a horror. Can spend 2 karma (first and second).
- Adept attempts to use Spellcasting against an Elf. Can spend 3 karma (all three).

The main point is that, an ability can only be used once per test. Just because the Adept can spend karma on a Talent (first ability), doesn't mean he can trigger that ability multiple times in order to spend, for example, 5 karma. It's basically one karma per ability. Having multiple abilities provides two benefits as a result. On one hand, It means the Adept can spend karma on more things. On the other hand, it means the Adept might be able to spend multiple karma on certain things. Ven diagrams!!