Rule clarification: Vine Armor

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Spader
Rule clarification: Vine Armor

Post by Spader » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 pm

Ok, it's the first time I have to deal with Vine Armor (4th edition).
The description make the rules a bit ambiguous.

It sais it improves the use of Wood Skin. So let say I wish to activate both Wood Skin (WS) and Vine Armor (VA).

a) I roll Tou+WS ranks+VA ranks and spend a recovery test. The Result is both the WS effect and the VA effect.

b) I roll Tou+WS ranks+VA ranks and spend two recovery tests. One for WS and one for VA. The Result is both the WS effect and the VA effect.

c) I roll Tou+WS ranks and spend a recovery test to activate WS. THEN, I roll Tou+WS ranks+VA ranks and spend a recovery test to activate VA.

d) I roll all my Karma left but add only the odd results. Then I multiply by the square root of pi and I use this result to interpret my talents.

Sharkforce

Re: Rule clarification: Vine Armor

Post by Sharkforce » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:34 pm

from the FASA discord I bring a quote from Morgan Weeks, who is one of the main writers for Earthdawn (and in particular tends to be in charge of writing rules):

"Two Recovery Tests total, one test, spend everything before the test is made."

(this quote is from a little over a year ago, but as the talent has not been rewritten the answer should be the same).

edit: from your list, I'd say that matches up with b, although d could always be fun :)

Spader

Re: Rule clarification: Vine Armor

Post by Spader » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Thanks!