AAR [9H]: The Last Farewell (2021-06-28 2300 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:37 pm

LFG: The Last Farewell
GM: Dvarim
ECR: 9
Difficulty: Hard

Rumor: Bloodbeat would like to become an Elementalist, and Vralino has agreed to train her. Vralino has asked her to capture a Slipshade. That is crazy, and Bloodbeat is definitely not going to do that. However, she's intuited that what Vralino really wants is to have her father, Jarack, back. To that end, Bloodbeat has spent time in the Great Library and come up with a possible solution - a legendary pre-Scourge artifact called the Mirror of the Last Farewell. The Mirror was last reported on the cargo manifest of a Theran airship, which crashed in the Grey Forest after being attacked by Troll drakkars during the Orichalcum Wars. The Mirror might provide Vralino the closure she seeks, and thus provide Bloodbeat with the mentor she seeks.
Requested by: Bloodbeat

Notes:
- Adventure runs at 7:00pm EST on Monday, June 28th
- As always, I run groups of 5 players.

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] Character name
[b]Date of Last Game Played:[/b]
[b]Circle:[/b] Circle of your character
[b]Discipline:[/b] Your character's Discipline(s)
[b]Unique:[/b] What your character is bringing to the table.
[b]Downtime:[/b] Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime: [Talent] [Step including +Karma Step if appropriate] ([Rank]) ([Further Details])
Last edited by bronzemountain on Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LadyDragoon

Re: LFG [9H]: The Last Farewell

Post by LadyDragoon » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:47 pm

Name: Azurea M.D. (S.O.A.P)
Circle: ECR 10
Discipline: Shadow 10/Purifier 5
Last Played: May 11
Quote/Unique: Yes we offer all kinds of treatment at my spa. Yes, we do have the only known troll chiropractor. She's so good you will not see her coming.
Notable Abilities: Sneakiest Of All Purifiers
Downtime: Alchemy 6 (12)
Booster Potions - 2 days for 2
Small Light Quartz - 4 days
Absorb Blow Charms - 4 days

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Name: Lazulin
Date of Last Game Played: 2021-06-18
Discipline: Raider (9)/SunHerald(9)
Unique: Combat and combat related accessories, and the guiding light of the sun.
Downtime: Research 3(9)

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:52 pm

Name: Bloodbeat II of Syrtis
Last game played: Requestor
Discipline: Nethermancer 9 / Weaponsmith 7
Quote: Tsch!  I hate birds!!
Unique/Notable Abilities: Experience Death, Friendly Darkness, Frighten, Last Chance, Soul Armor, Spirit Talk, Summon Ally Spirits, Viewpoint, Foul Vapors, Lifesight, Recovery, Orbiting Spy
Downtime:
* Alchemy 11 (rank 4) [Booster Potion, Small Light Quartz]
* Forge Armor 19 (rank 8, step 15 + karma)
* Forge Weapon 18 (rank 7, step 13 + karma)
* Item History 18 (rank 7, step 13 + karma)
* Research 27 (rank 9, step 16 + karma +4 [Speed Reading spirit] with library access +3 [20 SP])

predajey

Post by predajey » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:09 pm

Name: Vralino Hammer-Shield
Date of Last Game Played: June 5
ECR: 10
Discipline:
  • Spear Master (Circle 7)
  • Elementalist (Circle 7)
  • Fire Eater (Circle 1)
Unique: Spears, Spells, Speaking, and some Surgery. I also navigate and alchemate... in moderate.
Downtime:
Item History (Rank 8, ESR 19)
Alchemy (Skill Rank 1, ESR 8)
  • Booster Potions

sigfriedmcwild

Re: LFG [9H]: The Last Farewell (2021-06-22 2300 GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:33 pm

Name: Elisen
Last played on: 2021-06-18
ECR: 9 (322980lp)
Discipline: Cavalier 8 / Troubadour 7
Quote/Unique: Deliverance flies on silent wind
Notable Abilities: Inspiring Sparkly Zoak power!
Downtime: Animal training step 17 (rank 6; 13 + karma), Item History 20 (rank 7; 12 + 2 karma), Research 20 (rank 7; 12 + 2 karma)

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 pm

AAR: The Last Farewell
GM: Dvarim
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Azurea: 58,000 LP, 1,500 SP, 5 TIPs
Lazulin: 58,000 LP, 1,500 SP, 5 TIPs
Elisen: 58,000 LP, 1,500 SP, 5 TIPs
Bloodbeeat: 58,000 LP, 1,500 SP, 5 TIPs
Vralino: 58,000 LP, 1,500 SP, 5 TIPs

GM Reward: Juniper - 19,000 LP, 900 SP, 3 TIPs

Downtime:
Lazulin: Research 3/9
Elisen: Animal Training 6/17; Item History 7/20; Research 7/20
Vralino: Item History 8/19; Alchemy 1/8 (Booster Potions)
Bloodbeat: Alchemy 4/11 (Booster Potion, sm. Light Quartz); Forge Armor 8/19, Forge Weapon 7/18, Item History 7/18; Research 9/27
Azurea: Alchemy 6/12 (Booster Potion, sm. Light Quartz, Absorb Blow)

Summary:
Journeying to the Grey Forest, the party successfully found the ancient wreckage of the Nerangaset, and the fabled Mirror of Last Farewell that was part of its cargo. The entire area around the wreckage was saturated with strange spiritual energy that leaked from the cracked mirror. After dispatching the undead, the party fed the mirror blood, which allowed one last use. Vralino was able to say farewell to her father.

The discovery of the wreckage has inspired historians to start making the voyage to the Twilight Peaks, much to the delight of the Stoneclaw and the irritation of all the other moots.

predajey

Re: AAR [9H]: The Last Farewell (2021-06-28 2300 GMT)

Post by predajey » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:25 am

The following is a recollection from Vralino Hammer-Shield, currently living in Trayckid. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). It is written in Or'zet.

I can't believe I did it! I convinced Bloodbeat to help me capture a Horror! I'm gonna get my dad back! I'm so excited! Beyond excited! But first, we need to get some artifact. Supposedly, it'll help us capture the Horror or something, and it's in the Gray Forest. I left it to Elisen to book passage. I think we ended up visiting one of the Troll Moots over there. The Stone Cloud Moot or something like that? I don't care, I'm getting my dad back!!!

I think the party is just as deceived as Bloodbeat is. They kept talking about this mirror in some ancient pre-scourge crash, but none of them believe it'll capture the Horror. I almost slipped the secret a couple of times. I'm horrible at keeping secrets. Anyway, as we traveled through the Grey Forest, the forest started to look dead (like an ancient battlefield kind of dead), and we came across these glowing mushrooms. Azurea was enthralled by them. The rest of us, keeping distance from them, well, we were all taken by surprise. A couple of cadaverous beasts, a pair of reanimated trolls, and a giant fucking boar decided we were next on the lunch menu. The beasts and trolls kind of blended in with the rest of the dead or undead corpses, so no shock that they were able to pop up and surprise us. I lit myself ablaze, but not before Azurea moved a safe distance away from the brawl. Lazulin did all he could to hold a front line, but he was having a bit of trouble with it. I grabbed him by the belt, ready to pull him from danger, but he moved behind me and the plan backfired, turning him into more of an anchor than I originally anticipated. No matter, I was fucking awesome during that fight! I was ducking, and bobbing, and weaving, and what didn't miss me was absorbed by my armor. Special thanks to Thorkell and his amazing Guardian's Blessing ring that he made for me! I actually stayed conscious for the entire fight! After the fight, we noticed that a few other smaller and insignificant creatures were reanimating and dropping dead. I tried to kill them as they hopped back up, but it was pretty much useless. How do you convince a corpse to not reanimate?

So we continued through the Grey Forest. Next stop was at this giant crash site. The wreckage was the remains of an airship of some sort, but I don't think it was the typical drakkar. Between Bloodbeat and Elisen, it was determined that the airship was a mercantile vessel of notable repute. (Them's some fancy words momma'd be proud of me using.) So we found the mirror. It looked broken, so I tapped on it a couple times to make sure it was working. Don't worry, the logic follows perfectly in my mind. After a couple taps, these giant miasmic tentacles from the astral plane emerged. Some of the armor got up and started walking around on their own. There was even a decrepit old nethermancer and a couple of confused ghosts? They were mixing up fire and ice. Damn things should listen to me next time they want to dabble in elementalism! The armor decreed that Bloodbeat would be the best target to go after, so after I lit myself ablaze again, I grabbed her by the sash. The ghosts and the armor went after her, following the first armor's instructions, but I pulled and tossed and flipped her all over the place so they couldn't attack her! Unfortunately, that left me open for an assault, but at least Bloodbeat was safe. She was even able to dismiss the tentacled beast from the mirror while she was flung about! Talk about talented! A few seconds of that silliness, and it was back to my typical battlefield demeanor, unconscious and drooling on the ground.

When I awoke, I was bleeding on the mirror. That's when I saw him: my dad! Maybe this mirror was a way to bring him back to life without the Horror, but he said that was a horrible idea. Then I thought about the original purpose of the mirror, to capture a Horror. He said no to that, too. It was frustrating, so we had a loooooooooong conversation about how I was protecting my comrades (well, as long a talk as I've ever had with him). He said he was proud of me. I don't think I've ever heard those words come from him, about me or anyone else. Ever. Not even as a joke. It brought me to tears. I said my Last Farewell to him, and the mirror lost it's power. I wanted to bring it back to Trayckid with me. I guess it's more important to give my dad the cremation that we typically give to fallen warriors. I learned about that when I went to Cara Fahd. Maybe he was upset with me for not doing that? Either way, I'm glad I got to talk to him one last time. I feel so content and calm, almost like I'm a better warrior than I have shown in the past few months. I had developed a rigorous 8 hour obstacle course to help train Bloodbeat in the ways of elementalism, but it seems a little much for a first circle trainee. I think I'll just teach her the way I was taught in the Floating City instead.

Oh, and Bloodbeat and Elisen reported the crash back to the scholars in Throal, so now there's a steady back-and-forth between the Twilight Peaks and Throal, and they're studying some of the other artifacts that were found amongst the wreckage.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: AAR [9H]: The Last Farewell (2021-06-28 2300 GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:27 pm

From the memoirs of Elisen of clan Adorjan, Haressa-tis and Lore Keeper

I was approached by Bloodbeat (Bloodbeat II of Syrtis, t'skrang Nethermancer and Weaponsmith) and Vralino (Vralino Hammershield, orc Swordmaster and Elementalist) to help them with a "simple" caper.

As it turns out Bloodbeat wanted to branch out into Elementalism and had approached Vralino for training, an idea that should sound foolish in the extreme to anyone at all familiar with the people involved. Vralino's first offer was that they would train Bloodbeat in return for help with capturing a greater slipshade. Showing that they hadn't completely taken leave of their senses the t'skrang refused to have any part in that and instead inquired into the reasons for the requests.

As it turns out Vralino was still processing the death of her father (the late Jarock Hammershield, ork Weaponsmith, with whom I'd adventured several times) and Bloodbeat believed they'd found a way to have one last farewell. Legends spoke of a mirror of Theran make, lost in the Grey Forest where the Nerangaset had crashed while carrying it. This mirror would have the power to pierce the domain of Death and allow one last goodbye.

Intrigued by the legend and wanting to keep an eye on the ever flighty ork, I joined in to help research the location of the crash. The Grey Forest lies in between the Twilight Peaks and several moots claim parts of it as their territory. In addition an entity known as the Grey Lady seems to hold a lot of power on the area.

To get here we took the Third Peak, an airship captained by Gursen Agleflot of the Stoneclaw moot, but sadly I had to leave Isidoros behind due to weight constraints. Joining us on the trip were Lazulin (troll Raider and Sun Herald) and Azurea (troll Shadow and Elder of the Purifiers M.D. (S.O.A.P.)). Gursen was able to help us narrow the search area for the crash as we travelled over lake Ban and Travar.

In Stoneclaw Bloodbeat tried to hire a guide but they all refused, claiming the forest was haunted. I may have lost a bit of my patience as I asked a long house full of highland trolls if there was anyone who wasn't a coward present, then Vralino tried to "help" by flirting with the closest troll I'd offended. Surprisingly enough this did not get us thrown out and we even found a guide for most of the trip, which was very uneventful for a haunted mystical forest.

As we entered our search area, Bloodbeat noticed a lot of spirits around us and soon after we started seeing bones of animals and namegivers littering the ground, a lack of wildlife, and other unsettling cues. Further examination revealed a lack of wood spirits, that the namegivers were mostly Swifwind trolls, and that they had died fighting the wildlife. Vralino and Lazulin grew more and more convinced that something was wrong until we noticed that most of the corpses were suffering from "moments of reanimation" when one tried to maul Lazulin.

The next morning Bloodbeat tried to summon a spirit and got too many to respond, an unusual and undesirable occurrence but thankfully with no real consquence. By midday we'd found the crash and the mirror, frame cracked and energy pouring out of it, sitting in the middle of the wreck.

At this point we had to almost bodily restrain Vralino as they were ready to jump in and attempt some amateur necromancy to resurrect Jarock. Once they were slightly calmed down, they approached with Bloodbeat, and then, suddenly and unpredictably, the mirror turned black and tentacles poured out. Truly unexpected that the mirror that can pierce the veil to the realm of Death would be so dangerous.

Since the tentacles by themselves were not enough of a problem, ghost, animated armours, and some kind of undead magician appeared or got up from the ground to ensure our day would not be too dull. The fight was brief but violent, with Vralino protecting Bloodbeat until they were impaled by one of the animated armours.

With the rest of the threats dispatched and the mirror somewhat calmed down, Bloodbeat readied a last chance salve while Lazulin got Vralino to bleed all over the mirror which summoned an image of her father. As the salve got them back from the brink, they had a nice long conversation with Jarock before the last of the power of the mirror was spent.

Before leaving we looted the ship for the old maps and navigation tools and then made our way back to Throal with the now hopefully inert mirror.