AAR: [4M] Mines of Death (2021-03-27 17:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Serespar
Re: LFG: [4M] Mines of Death (2021-03-27 17:00 GMT)

Post by Serespar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:48 pm

From the journal of Kayapo
<Throalic Date equivalent to March 27, 2020>

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek…
- Joseph Campbell

Nergae my Beastmaster friend and I were contacted by Galina Boronova, a questor of Lochost, to look into the working conditions at a tin mine outside Coalton (hex 46.10). We soon learned that several friends of ours, Truck the Windling Warrior, Arphen the Elven Scout, and Qwillem the Dwarven Weaponsmith, were also approached about problems in Coalton. Thain Bookbinder of the local miners collective was concerned about the building materials in the mine, while Orval Tollermass (from the family that owned the mine) said that agitators were causing problems.

Travel to Coalton was uneventful. We joined a caravan of less affluent folk from the Dahnat seeking work at the mines, and made their journey safer and more pleasant as we traveled.

When we arrived in Coalton, we found the town in discord over the recent accidents in the mine, blaming each other, and with astral space beginning to sour. The various parties had strong opinions with some facts at the core of things (accidents, missing people, and so forth), but little information about who or what was causing the situation to deteriorate and why. We investigated the mine to try to figure out what was really going on, led by two of the miners, Velda and Morin.

As we searched the accident locations, it became clear that the materials were average to high quality, and the failure of mine supports and so forth was the work of some unusual force. The spirits in the mine spoke to me but were not particularly helpful.

We reached a cavern deep underground where some awful hairless monkey things had built traps to snare the miners. We defeated two and ran a third down, but sensed a further evil presence in the tunnels. We later learned the creatures were called Scurriers. Their ability to create and repair traps combine with their cursed luck power is quite dangerous.

At a work-cavern, we located a Gharmek animated the bodies of the missing miners. Truck flew in to engage the Gharmek while the rest of us fought the undead. While we defeated the undead, the Gharmek fled and escaped. I had never fought these sort of undead creatures before; their poison and their rage when attacked caught me completely off guard.

We returned to the surface and informed the miners about what had really been going on. We could tell the stress on astral space was beginning to clear. I just hope the next group to catch up the Gharmek is able to defeat him.

bronzemountain

AAR: [4M] Mines of Death (2021-03-27 17:00 GMT)

Post by bronzemountain » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:38 pm

AAR: Mines of Death
GM: Dvarim
ECR: 4
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Arphen: 2,200 LP, 375 SP, 3 Tips
Kayapo: 2,200 LP, 375 SP, 3 Tips
Truck: 2,200 LP, 375 SP, 3 Tips
Nergae: 2,200 LP, 375 SP, 3 Tips
Qwillem: 2,200 LP, 375 SP, 3 Tips

GM Reward: A'horangi - 39,000 LP, 1,000 SP, 3 TIPs

Downtime:
Qwillem: Craftsman 4/19, Forge Weapon 4/15, Item History 4/15
Nergae: Animal Training 4/10

Summary:
It turns out the accidents at the tin mine near Coalton are the fault of neither negligence nor sabotage nor laziness. They were the work of Scurriers, in service to a Gharmek. And so it was that our heroes faced perhaps their first Horror and lived to tell the tale. The Gharmek took a special interest in Truck, and promised to see him again some time before burrowing its way to freedom. Still, the mine is now once again accident (and Horror-) free and all parties involved are very grateful.

kaetaur

Re: LFG: [4M] Mines of Death (2021-03-27 17:00 GMT)

Post by kaetaur » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:58 pm

<t>The only problem with growing up in Throal is all the damn mines. A journal Entry by Arphen Elven Scout.<br/>
<br/>
Thain Bookbinder reached out again in relation to problems as a mine near Coalton. It was not Coalton this time, which is quite nice, and it seems that the passion really desire me to protect the mining interests of THroal. At Thain's office I met Truck. There are a large quantity of windlings in my recent travels and adventures which is also odd considering the number of mines I am working in. Truck is a hearty fellow skilled in a martial disciple of some type. We set off to head to this mine and I had the bright idea to see if Nergae would come along as bringing a Dwarf to a Mine Fight seems like a good idea. <br/>
<br/>
Upon arriving at Nergae's new shack outside of Bartertown we bumped into Qwilliam Turlough and Kayapo. It turns out the three factions with a perceived stake in this game had each hired a person or two to figure out about the mines dangers and where the missing people went. Figuring five of us working together is better than working independently, and the fact we are all getting paid to resolve it, we joined forces.<br/>
<br/>
(TO be continued)</t>