AAR [11H]: What has Teeth and a Tongue, but no Mouth? (2021-02-24 @ 2300 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Montaugh
Re: AAR [11H]: What has Teeth and a Tongue, but no Mouth? (2021-02-24 @ 2300 GMT)

Post by Montaugh » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 am

My name is William Carver. I am a circle eleven Scout, Circle eighth Thief, fifth rank on the path of the Journeyman, and seventh circle Cavalryman.

For weeks I had nightmares filled with teeth, and claws and eyes. I sought help to understand the dreams. They told me to carefully study the Stranger Boots to a level I had never done before. For the next week the Stranger Boots never left my side as I use the item history talent upon it. I had greatly increased my talent in the study of items, and this proved most useful to me. I could see what I had to do and where to go.

I contacted some adepts that I knew, Xevious, Zil, Daldorer and one that I had met while dealing with the events a short while back a troll by the name of Thorkell. With this group we headed out by Airship to Farram. Farram is located at 33.24. Farram is an interesting place I believe it was here that I learned about the 16 towers also called the 9 diamonds. T'Srang house K'tensien was here as well. They thought were surprised that we were from Throal. Before the scourge they worked for the powers of Thera, and they also dealt in slavery. We didn't see anything to discourage such a thought that they were not still doing so today. It is perhaps something that Throal will want to look into and see if we were corrected with our initial impression of these T'srang. I did not have time to delve into this more on this trip. In exchange for updating their maps they gave us passage down the river.

From Farram we traveled down the river by two fireboats. The four were one one and charlie and I were on the other river boat. We stopped at the location 35.23, the city of Portage. Portage is an old trading hub to Thera, they are working on building it up now. I think soon they will start to try to travel the roads soon.

From Portage we ended up on at the village of Trosk, located at 33.24. There are a lot of Elementist here and purifiers, as well as those seeking to purify the badlands. This was as far as the T'srang were willing to take us along the river. We traveled the rest of the way on foot. This could be a good location for going out into the badlands and helping the various groups in attempting to heal the badlands.

We traveled by foot towards a massive tower at 32.25. It was Ancient with fresh coat of paint. Someone is trying to upkeep the place. This is the Last Homely house in barsaive. The noted Elementalist T'srang Sovostos lives here. He is a guff man. We talked with him a short while about the mist swamps and The Stranger Boots deed. He told me that I had his permission to enter the swamps to complete the deed.

We arrived within the mist swamps and started looking for the creature from my dreams. While it was winter the mist swamps were warm and humid. The canopy of the trees was thick and prevented flight of any significant height.

Suddenly a creature appeared before us in the Mist Swamps. It was like a wolf or fox with wings. it was silver in cover and it had silver wings. I could feel the boots vibrate under me as they sensed the creature that we sought. It stood there and watched, our eyes met and I started towards it.. it then took off into the depths of the swamp and the chase had begun.

The others followed me as I began my hunt, Zil cast Mantle of the Woodland hunter, the wood spirit that was summoned and bound with me for a time was extremely powerful, I could hear the spirits guiding me as my senses increased to a height I have rarely reached before. Everything bled away though, all that I cared about was the prey, I couldn't focus on anything else, I didn't care about anything else. I knew what my prey was now, the dreams flashing back to me, the knowledge of the area flooding me as I opened my senses and soaked in the knowledge of the area as we Scouts do.

Simargl, that is what I was seeking. I knew it ate fish and such creatures, it lived in burrows, it had a family but it would raise other races as its own, It was smart. The knowledge flooded into me, signs of it passing appeared before me, scratches in trees, its peppermint and vanilla scent filled my nose.

We tracked it at one branch, and I pushed ahead, but it had tricked me. There were creatures there Strakkonya, they were not my target, I left them to the others and continued my pursuit. I cloaked all of us in the shadows and blended us into our environment as I activated Stealthy Stride. If things didn't see us then they could not stop the pursuit of the Simargl. I sent an Orbiting Spy around us to warn us of dangers. We tracked, backtracked, and moved through the swamps. We came upon squid like creatures but we ignored them in pursuit of our target.

This thing left nothing behind, once we found part of its meal, but everything was ruined that could have used to track it saliva and such when it knocked the bones into the river. At times the dreams came to me, they came when I had lost my way. I could see our group moving down paths that I was unsure of, and I knew of which way to travel.

We came upon a feather, silver in color and it appeared to be from a simargl. I finally had a means to track it with mystic pursuit.

We raced though the swamps and came upon an area with gorgons, four of them and we found what I thought was the burrow. I crawled into the burrow seeking my prey.. and as I did so the stealth fell from us and the others moved to engage the Gorgons. I was crawling though the burrow and mapping it with my echolocation and orbiting spy. It was only seconds after I entered the burrow that Zil let me know that the Simargl had engaged the them above ground. I tried to use my newly learned burning vigor talent to burst from the ground, but I was a little over eager and simply managed to punch through the ground with but my hand. I then slowly extracted myself from the burrow and helped the others to engage the Simargl and gorgons. The fight was brutal and short as most fights tend to be.

After the battle I collected the teeth and a strange compulsion came over me, before I could stop myself I reached over and pulled the eyes from the Simargl and ate them. With such a thing done I could sense that the deed was completed. We collected the eyes of the Gorgons, and received some silver from Sovostos for completing our task with little interference of the mist swamps.

As we were leaving I turned back to look and far off into the distance I saw a stone like figure watching us. I do not know who or what it was, nor do I know its intentions. It was odd so I am nothing within these records that something large lives within the mist swamps, it could be friendly, it might not be.

William Carver

verse86

Re: AAR [11H]: What has Teeth and a Tongue, but no Mouth? (2021-02-24 @ 2300 GMT)

Post by verse86 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Thorkell's Journal:
I had just returned to Throal from my trip to the Swiftwind moot when William Carver, a rather famous scout, contacted me. He was planning a trip to the Mist Swamp to complete a deed for his thread item. He believed my recent trips south may prove valuable to his adventure. He also recruited Daldorer, Xevious, and Zil.

We made our way down to the sixteen towers of K'tenshin by airship which was as far as the airship was willing to take us. From there we went by river to Farram, then set out on foot. As we reached the Last Homely House we met a strange T'skrang who seemed to be guarding passage to the Mist Swamp. William told him his intent and was granted passage in. I believe this may have been Savostos, the famed elemntalist.

As we made our way through the swamp William noticed a creature which resonated with his thread item. It appeared to be a wolf like creature with wings and a peacock tail. I would later find out this was a simargl. Before we could engage it darted into the woods. With some help from magic, William started doggedly tracking the creature. Through expert tracking and keen awareness we were able to avoid many of the threats including swamp squid and what I believe were some large bear. We did however run into some strakkonya. Having encountered these creatures recently, I knew them to be enemies of horrors and constructs. I instructed the team to merely incapacitate the creatures as they were not our quarry which we were able to do deftly.

We finally found the burrow of the simargl and William began searching the tunnel for the simargl. While he searched the rest of the team were accosted by gorgons. Between Zil and Daldorer's magics and my and Xevious might we were able to slay the creatures. This upset the simargl who attacked Zil, rendering him unconscious. William was able to return from the den and finish off the creature. This did not complete the deed however. Thread items never cease to amaze me. It seems William had to eat the eyes of the creature. At least that is what he told me. I wonder if something may have influence over him.

With our mission complete we returned successfully. For my troubles I received two gorgon eyes which are made from orichalcum. I must think of an interesting way to incorporate them into a thread item. *design ideas fill the rest of the page*