AAR (2M): Krampus Nacht, 2021-01-03 Sunday Jan 3, 2021, 18:00 GMT / 10:00 am Pacific

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

kaetaur
Re: LFG (2M): Krampus Nacht, Sunday Jan 3, 2021, 18:00 GMT / 10:00 am Pacific

Post by kaetaur » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Group Selection:
Kaetaur/Arphen
Warak Nendul/ Lashana's Friend?
Ornn Stoneforged/ nadimsuer
Perrok/ Aegharan
Rendar/ Dougansf
Amhran Fili/ Lashana

Since Warak Nendul is a maybe because of internet access Backups in order:
1: Keel/ Anoush

Selection made based off New characters first, Oldest last played date, and sadness because I wanted to pick more elves and was mostly overruled by the other two criteria.

Serespar

Re: AAR (2M): Krampus Nacht, Sunday Jan 3, 2021, 18:00 GMT / 10:00 am Pacific

Post by Serespar » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:44 pm

AAR:

Player Rewards:
800 LP, 200 SP, Half Price Advancement Training OR Half Price Crafting
Arphan, Warek, Perrok, Rendar and Amhran

GM Rewards (Strata) 2,200 lp, 375 sp, 3 TIPs.

Downtime:
Item History (10, see Amhran's sheet)

Alternate rewards:
Half Price Advancement Training OR Half Price Crafting.

kaetaur

Post by kaetaur » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:14 am

AAR Arphen:kaetaur

The Rescue of Coalton By Arphen

In the year <20210103> I Arphen the Scout helped rescue the mining town of Coalton from certain doom.

As a young elven man I found that my morality is still based in being young. I heard rumors of missing children and set off to investigate. Lord Pompoznav of House Ueraven set his lawyer Master Thain Bookbinder to hire adventurers to deal with a beast stealing children. Know now that I am not skilled at story telling or at remembering names, however these two people will be remembered by more for a long time. Master Bookbinder hired us and after retrieving high quality information from great library we left to head to Coalton. The people I met this day were Warak Nendul, Perrok, Rendar, and Amhran Fili. These are the highest quality of adepts who seek to make the world a better place and if they are ever in danger I will seek to aid them, or rescue them, should I know about their need.

We travelled the beaten path, which was only a road by the barest minimum of standards. A coal filled cart was in danger of rolling down the hill and my new compatriots sprung into action. We saved/repaired the wheel, fed the kids, and discovered some more about how Coalton was a place of tormet for anyone there where the lives of everyone involved were traded for profits to benefit House Ueraven. I am not one for politics or even the hustle and bustle of more lively places and yet I find what these children told me of their starvation and near slavery through the manipulation of wages and the threat to extended family for a family debt is despicable.

Arriving at the town, and I will make this brief if possible, we discovered the beast had killed the tyrant in charge. His name does not deserve credit and I refuse to add to his legend. I spoke with the honorable Jon Macdonald about the conditions and did what little I could to help the town recover from the abuse cause by House Ueraven. My compatriots and I collected evidence and information using the writ supplied to us and investigated thoroughly the atrocities cause by the prior agents of house Ueraven at this town, which definitely lead to the Krampus stealing children and murdering them.

A young girl Ashley exhibited the traits of survival in this circumstance that a Krampus would feed upon. We sought her out and supplied her and her sister with what food we could. Honestly, I may need to take a few trips back out just to see how I can help these people since the fallout from our discoveries. Frost birds attacked and Ashley ran. I shot a few of them out of the sky and followed the rest to a river. There were several distorted creations from the missing children and my party dispatched them handily.

The smell of gingerbread was everywhere and Amhran nose guided us to the gingerbread house of the Krampus. Things happened very quickly and before I really knew what happened the Krampus Statue was burning, the Krampus was defeated, and we managed to save two of the children.

We quickly returned to Throal where the evidence dammed House Ueraven's actions and Master Bookbinder was appalled to discover that his client was so terrible. Thankfully the information was make known and now the Miner's Guild is involved to protect the rights of the children who are nearly salves in the Town of Coalton. I am thankful that my compatriots were of similar belief that this was something that needed to be stopped. Were I a justice I would make all members of House Ueraven work in the mines for 1 year per person that died under their employment.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm

Darn nobles and their greed, a report by Perrok, Skyraider of the second circle.

I found a listing that asked for Adepts to find and slay a child-stealing beast. I reported with a lawyer, Master Bookbinder, who regulated the affairs. With me were Amhran, a Windling Troubardour, Arphan, an elven Scout, Warek, a Human Swordmaster, and a very pleasent fellow Ork, a Cavalryman named Rendar.

We got some info on how the mine operates and on the beast, which a researcher deemed to fit the description of a Krampus. Interestingly the researcher had to use copies of texts, as the original texts containing information on Krampi was stolen. I'm sure the Scholars will want to follow up on this.

We set off to Coalton and found underfed youths along the way with a broken wheel on their wagon. We repaired the broken wheel, helped them collect the coal, fed the youngsters and taught them to find food along the way the way, even if it's scarce along the mountains.

Arriving in Coalton there were wonderful festivities, as Ebenezer, the person in charge of this mining town, had died to the beast. For us it was still no rejoice though, it made my blood boil. The families in this town made their children work the coal mines, but had to rent the equipment from the company. They also had to buy food from the company, and rent their house from the company. All the while this "company", owned by house Ueraven, held titles of their debt from these people, effectively turning them into slaves.

As representatives of house Ueraven we quickly set new rates for renting a house, of I think a copper per month (instead of several coppers per head and day), and new rates of rent for equipment (0). The mining foreman helped us assemble the relevant papers, books, notes, and letters to use as evidence against House Ueraven.
We got good insight into the motivation behind all this though, as the shopkeeper presented herself as a Questor of Dis. This foul Passion must have corrupted the minds of whoever is in charge with the House Ueraven, or at least they will probably claim as such. No matter the reality, they deserve sharp punishment.

Following the Krampus' icebirds, Amhran noticed that an enormous amount of Astral Corruption, originating in Coalton due to the suffering the people's suffering and heading in the same direction as the ice birds. We followed them and found the remains of disfigured, tormented, twisted children, that attacked us.

Following the stream we found the Krampus' lair, where he was slowly submerging three children in a stream of icy water, feeding on their pain and suffering, turning them into the same icy abominations, destroying all traces of their individuality. Next thing I know, I had slain something that somewhat resembled myself, the Krampus was gone, and Rendar looked proudly at me. The Gahad had taken hold and I managed to guide it into the right direction.

We set the villagers free, brought the evidence of how this company acted before the lawyer and a leader of the mining guild. Both were shocked at the evil workings at that town and promised to make it right.

Abrahms

Post by Abrahms » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:44 pm

The Town Name of Coal
a journal entry by Warak Nendul, human Swordmaster

Twas a day like most others,
In the city of Throal,
When I came 'pon a missive,
To save a town name of Coal.
Their children were taken by,
A beast in the night,
With horns and a basket,
Giving the townsfolk a fright.
Master Thane Bookbinder,
On behalf of Lord P,
Seeking adventurers,
To help Coalton (not for free).
There in Bookbinder's office,
I met a number of folks,
Two orks, elf, and windling,
None of them jokes.
One Rendar,
One Perrok,
An Arphen,
And Amhrán as well,
Myself Warak a human as any could tell.
From there to the Library,
The Great one of Throal,
Where we learned of the beast,
Stalking the town name of Coal.
A hideous Krampus it was,
Said the scholar Lady Aesha,
A Krampus of legend,
An ancient and horrible creature.
We journeyed on foot,
From the city of culture and art,
And soon found some teens,
With a broken coal cart.
After helping the teens,
We continued our trek,
Toward the town name of Coal,
Where things were a wreck.
The townsfolk were shouting,
And dancing with glee,
Ebenezer the proctor,
Had been killed in the night around 3.
Twas the Krampus that slayed him,
While taking a child,
None mourned Ebenezer,
His death had them all riled.
For the town name of Coal,
Was just shy of slavery,
They worked starved and died,
To fill the coffers of Lord P.
The foreman MacDonald,
And a young girl Ashley,
Provided us knowledge,
To stop the Krampus and Lord P.
We fought strange concoctions,
Of confection and dread,
I burned the Krampus's idol to kill it,
And all that remained was its head.
We returned to the kingdom of Throal,
Kids with us too,
We decided to tell the guild,
All that we knew.
Now the town name of Coal,
Is out from under Lord P,
The children are safe,
And the townsfolk happy.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:23 pm

Rendar's Field Report

In the Grand Bazaar, the Scriveners section, people are moving around, doing business.
We all arrive in time for Master Thain’s summons, we are the only adepts to arrive.
Two dwarves are there. One requires tangible evidence. The other is dressed as a miner. They leave and a female dwarf and starts humming to herself.

Amhran starts singing along with her, and offers to help with the higher windows. She learns that they’ve sent messages to the Great Library.

We ring the bell and are allowed inside to meet with Bookbinder. We introduce each other, and explain why we’re here. We’re allowed into the rear to speak with Bookbinder. We discover that he doesn’t care for Lord P, but does take his money. He’s commissioned a complete briefing in order to increase the price upon Lord P. There’s a lot of undertone in his speech that implies many things unsaid.

Town of Coalton is where the abductions took place. Map with directions to Calton up in the Throal mountains, about 1-2 days. They offer Discipline training and half cost mundane equipment. Approximately 7 elven children lost. He instructs us to keep our eyes open.

Warak asks if there’s another client that would like something. Bookbinder drops several big names in Throal, and he’s very displeased with something.

We head to the Great Library and are lead to the Restricted Section to speak with Aesha. We provide the writ for the report. It reveals a Krampus is responsible, could be a Horror, or possibly an Invae, certainly a Netherrealm Spirit of some kind. It has some oracular abilities. Children who are tortured by the Krampus cause the birch switch to change color. Gold switches protect the child, and allows them to see it’s Ice Bird minions for what they truly are.

Four of the attacked children were not taken. 2 Silver, 2 Gold. No switches where the taken children were. The original archive documents are missing from the Library.

There were also Krampus breeding pens in Thera. There are several bodies of water near Coalton. They make statues for procreation which are roughly designed from clay.

We also discover that the mine was placed just outside the boundary of the Miners Guild, and most Throalic Laws. The writ we’ve been given allows our reports to hold more weight in the Courts. Warak theorizes that Lord P may have fallen from Chorlollis to Dis. We get some children trinkets.

Day 2 - The Road to Coalton

The paths are badly kept, with minimum effort to upkeep. We see a wagon lose a wheel, and flip over. Warak chases after the wagon wheel. Rendar rites the wagon before it falls over the cliff. Amhran treats some of the injured. Rendar notices they lack supplies for the multi-day trip. Coalton Mining Company logo. Amhran offers the children some treats. We give them several rations and assist the horse.

We learn they’re working off a family debt, so they have to get the delivery on time. They sometimes smuggle in food. House Ueraven sends them here to work off their debts. Things are much cheaper in Throal than the company store in Coalton. One person’s debt puts the entire family to work. They have to live in a company house, earning many fees and taxes.

They’re terrified to go to an outside lawyer. Those who have tried before have been in mining accidents. We’re warned that most kids hide, and causing waves may cause trouble. They’re all illiterate. They get 1 hour of school but aren’t any teachers to teach anything.

We forage some supplies on the rest of the way to Coalton.

Day 3 - Coalton

There’s a huge party going on. People are dancing in the streets. Overwhelmed with happiness. At the center of the party is a poorly crafted adult-sized coffin parading through the town. There are bits of food and drink passed around.

Amhran notices that the Astral is getting more and more corrupt as we get closer to town.

Ebenezar is the person in the coffin (making our writ useless).

Amhran asks around. Ebenezar was the iron glove that squeezed every bit of profit out of the mine. He kept track of all the debts, determining taxes, fees, and fines. There’s a child, NAME, who may have slit his father’s throat. Ebenezar locked him up in a cage in his office. House Ueraven has it’s own courts that is corrupt. Ebenezar was “killed by the Krampus” last night who then stole the child. Some witnesses live in the office and overheard the attack.

Jon McDonald, mine foreman, has a bad cough and blood on his hankerchief. We reduce the equipment fees to zero. He helps us with evidence to bring against House Ueraven, as he doesn’t have long to live. He directs us to the houses of the missing children, and the Golds and Silvers (and a few more that have gone missing recently). One child, Ashley, is a rebel and leader, very likely to be taken.

We head to Ebenezar’s office. There are signs of the murder, burst bars, rolled-up bedding. We find a locked box with a magical trap. The bars are bent and shattered as if they’d been frozen. We stash the box on Quechir.

We head to Ashley’s house. We find her taking care of her younger sister. If we get some milk for her sister, she’ll help us. We head to the store to get some. They’re charging silver for a bottle, and the bottle is a rental.

Just before dusk, Ashley runs, with her hand in one pocket. Warak runs to keep up with her. Rendar spots a number of flying birds, they’re leaving little trails of cold currents. Pointing this out to the others, he mounts Quechir. Arphen takes a shot at a bird, and it bursts into loose snow, and the other birds flee to the North. Arphen follows. Amhran stays with Ashley. Ashley produces golden shavings in her right fist. She indicates they are hers.

We get Ashley back to the house safely, then head after the birds.

We follow the trail to a partially frozen river. We see several horrid creatures on the other side of the river. Some of them dive under the snow to hide. Warak shoots one and advances. Amhran flies over the river and spies that they’re feasting on snow-covered childrens bodies. Rendar spurs Quechir down the river to leap across the river down onto Plum Pudding, who explodes into snow and blows away on the breeze. Perrok leaps over the river and Wounds Herbie.

When the leader is slain, it scatters into children’s teeth.

We smell gingerbread from the depths of the forest. Following the scent we find a full-sized gingerbread house. There’s a current in the Astral that flows from the town to this house. There’s a single door, glowing. Amhran tastes some of the frosting and realizes it’s a Namegiver finger.

We kick open the door, and inside is a large Krampus tending a fire. There’s a small statue of a Krampus in one corner. There are three children suffering from nightmares in cold water.

Perrok charges, hitting Krampus. Krampus backhands him and seems to take his Astral Imprint, and creates another minion as well. When the minion is attacked, Perrok feels the pain.

Warak grabs the statue and hurls it into the fireplace. The Krampus laughs as one child is released to the mercy of Death. The gigerbread house collapses. “Live then with your choice.” There’s a velvet bag with a sparkly white ribbon. Perrok kills his minion duplicate before it can run off into the woods. We treat the two remaining children.