AAR: [8M] Rock 'n' Roll 2020-10-11 2300 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

sigfriedmcwild
Re: LFG: [8M] Something something Weaponsmith 2020-10-11 2300 GMT

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:01 pm

Name: Norg
Last played on: 2020-10-04
ECR: 9 (293895lp)
Discipline: Gauntlet 9 / Air Sailor 5
Quote/Unique: The punch is not the goal, the punch is the way
Notable Abilities: PUNCH! JUMP! some awareness, some navigation, some wilderness survival, the worst physician this side of the mountains
Downtime: none

Dougansf

Re: LFG: [8M] Something something Weaponsmith 2020-10-11 2300 GMT

Post by Dougansf » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:34 pm

Reyis, Moe'uhane, LaShana, and Azurea, on board for ADVENTURE!

bronzemountain

AAR: [8M] Rock 'n' Roll 2020-10-11 2300 GMT

Post by bronzemountain » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm

AAR: Rock 'n' Roll
GM: Dvarim
ECR: 8
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Sandrin: 19,000 LP, 900 SP, 3 TIPs
Reyis: 19,000 LP, 900 SP, 3 TIPs
Azurea: 19,000 LP, 900 SP, 3 TIPs
Moe'uhane: 19000 LP 900 SP 3 TIP
La'Shana: 19,000 LP, 900 SP, 3 TIPs

Alternate Rewards:
50% off: Forge Weapon/Armor

GM Reward: A'horangi (13,000 LP, 750 SP, 3 TIPs)

Downtime:
Moe'Uhane: Research 11 (14 w/ 20sp), Craft Spell Matrix Objects:(8/20) Standard - 6 days -1000 SP; Enhanced 7 days - 2000 SP
Reyis: Animal Training 6/15, Research 23, Item History 7/23
Azurea: Alchemy 4/10 (Booster Potion, Small Light Quartz, Absorb Blow)
Sandrin: Craft Weapon 1/7 (Weapon up to step 2, 1 day/size), Item History 4/18, Research 17 (20 with 20sp)
Azurea: Alchemy 4/10 (Booster 2 days for 2, Small Light Quartz or Absorb Blow Charm 4 days)

Summary:
The party has acquired strange phase rocks which will absolutely explode, and also cannon barrels of a particularly durable alloy. Those Stormwraiths are in trouble. Also, Azurea is being worshipped by a small clan of Forest Trolls.
Last edited by bronzemountain on Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xzandrate

Re: AAR: [8M] Rock 'n' Roll 2020-10-11 2300 GMT

Post by Xzandrate » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:57 am

From the writings of Moe'uhane, T'skrang Illusionist, 9th Circle, Boatman 6th Circle, Messenger Rank 6

The day was wonderful as always, I had returned from my latest river voyages to Throal as I was looking to catch up on the most recent happenings. In my travels I came across Sandrin, it seems he was putting together an expedition, first to confer with Kerim Ianjyre, and from there unsure. It seemed like my multitude of talents could be of use here, and Sandrin and I work well as a pair. The party was rounded out by Reyis, LaShana, and Azurea, a very capable and eclectic group in my estimation.

The goal for our expedition was to source a raw material to enable the use of stone in fire cannons for the air ship Arngeir. It seems on their first excursion they ran across a castle in the sky, surrounded by horrors. Most notably clouds of stormwraiths. As they are air aligned entities, the idea of using stone should improve effectiveness at fighting them. This all sounds very plausible, but the first hurdle is geological knowledge.

We arrive a the Ianjyre estate with a small amount of fuss. People are getting more accustom to adepts floating in on flying carpets it seems. After a brief discussion with the butler and various attendants and residents we seemed very pleased with the assimilation of the estate into Throalic beliefs of slavery. Although it did seem the estate may be struggling a bit more financially. We spoke with Kerim and he was sympathetic to our quest, and in fact was familiar with a rare geological occurrence that may provide the answer we were looking for. He brought forth a mineral that he claimed was prone to explosion with the proper application of magics. The actual specimen was shifting in and out of astral and seemed to explode astrally. The way that the pattern of the mineral shifted in and out of place was reminiscent of some of the spells I was familiar with. While he was fairly sure of where he had obtained the mineral, he could not produce the name of the location nor the reason for it's importance.

Further discussion brought us to the concern of what an astrally exploding payload would do to a cannon. Luckily Kerim had a suggestion for this as well. He was unsure how the knowledge had been lost, but close to where his home had resided previously he had done consulting for a Theran armoury. He believed that there were cannons that would have suitable strength there. This of course brought up the problem, of how we could transport this material. Kerim's expertise proved useful again, he believed he could fashion an iron bound chest that should contain the material. I took some time to add a new spell to my repertoire, Presto, in the hopes it would help stabilize the movement of this mineral.

We set off three days later, carpets into the air once again. We travelled down the mountains and across the rivers and up into the mountains towards the north east until we crested over the Caucavics and beheld the Thornspike Jungle and the plains stretching out towards it. The first stop was the mineral location, as it was deemed unnecessary to retrieve cannons if there was no payload to be fired. It was fairly obvious as to the location of this mineral, as we moved across the plains the ground changed in a visible line, as crossing a threshold. We spent some time investigating the area when Azurea suddenly fell into a hole. At first we thought it was just due to the instability of the ground, however it was accompanied very quickly by screams about nibbles. It seemed some large volus had taken up residence, they were attracted by the magical nature of this rock. Everyone rushed to Azurea's aid, attempting to remove her from the hole and scare off the volus, a slight rumble drew my attention in time to see a second leap upon me. I crawled towards the hole and wrapped Azurea, Sandrin, and myself in illusionary mantles and prepared to weather the onslaught of the beasts. Reyis, Sandrin, and LaShana focused the one on me quickly. Azurea escaped from the hole, but her friend followed her and knocked her back down. Using my tail, I exerted dominance over her attacker as I got to my feet. This allowed Sandrin to finish off the one attacking me, while he quickly distracted the one on Azurea. A mere moments later and we were safe again. We retreated to the safety of normal ground, noting more of the creatures within the mineral field. After a short time to attend to wounds, we continued to appraise the situation and began to collect the magical stone. With the chest filled, we loaded it upon a carpet and headed towards the Armory of Garonne in hopes of finding some intact cannon barrels.

A couple days later we approached the armoury under cover of stealth. We could see that the armour had not escaped the Scourge unscathed. However, in the ruins we could make out the figurehead of an airship and some cannons set behind it. Unfortunately, there we some rather large, primitive, wood infused trolls that seemed to be worshiping the figurehead. We studied them for a while, half of us picked up on the subtle inflections to their grunting indicating a language. Sandrin then suggested that we attempt to present Azurea as the challenger to their leadership. He and Azurea would step forth and he would work as interpreter while she posed as a threat. I advised that if things go sideways to demonstrate her command over shadow, and I would back them up. I covered them both in mantles of forest troll visages and the plan was set into motion. Sandrin announced them, and Azurea motioned to give offerings of berries to the statue. There were apparently some complexities that their language did not express as Sandrin presented them. When they referred to the statue as the 'Earthmother', it was attempted to indicate that Azurea would pay worship to the 'Earthmother'. Instead it was taken as a declaration that Azurea was the 'Earthmother'. Rolling with it, Sandrin agreed that Azurea was indeed the 'Earthmother'. Playing her part, Azurea tapped into her Purifier magics to make the area around her grow, rather impressive to anyone, let alone a primitive group of trolls. Trolls began to scramble to pay homage to her, two ran into the forest, two brought the berries and offerings from the statue to Azurea, mugging the third smaller troll. She accepted the offerings, and they began to display their physiques. Sandrin explained to the two mugging trolls that the 'Earthmother' wanted the cannons, and they ran to retrieve them. The third smaller troll display some suspicion on if she was the 'Earthmother', and questioned Sandrin. Sandrin easily addressed each concern. Finally, he caused the wooded limb of his arm to sprout, looking at Azurea in a challenge. Not missing a beat Azurea dug into her bag of Purifier tricks and allowed her feet to sprout roots and grow into the ground. Having retrieved the cannons, the two trolls asked for Azurea to pick a champion. As the first two trolls returned from the woods with more fruits and berries, they too pushed for a champion. Azurea pointed to the small suspicious troll, which drew shock from them all. The explanation that he was strong in the head elicited displays of head strength from some others as they headbutt one another. At this point things became weird, yes this is the weird point. The small troll looked at Azurea and shrugged and began to disrobe. Their understanding of champion was different than expected. A quick look of shock from Azurea and a chuckle from the bushes that the rest of us hid within, was followed by an explanation that the 'Earthmother' must remain pure. The trolls accepted this and gave us a send off.

Cannons were loaded upon carpets, and began the trek back to Throal. Along the way we stopped at the Ianjyre estate to speak with Kerim again and give him some additional samples. We relayed the story of our adventure to him. Sandrin weaving a heroic tale drawing the emotions of all who listened, I added the smallest of illusionary accompaniment. Kerim was quite glad for our success, but confided that he was rather concerned that he may not be able to continue these visits. While he was amenable to the Throalic ways of freedom and had converted quite liberally, he had not accounted for the costs to the estate, and it was producing nothing of value to generate trade and the funds were quickly running low. We advised that many a traveller was aware of him and his expertise, Azurea even suggested that with what he had taught us he could open a school. He could charge for admission, build dormitories to charge for lodging. He seemed rather taken by this idea, and asked that we spread the word of the opening. We agreed and when we made it back to town, the local mining companies were advised that they could seek additional expertise and training at the estate. This met with mixed results until the nature of our specimens were revealed. I suspect Kerim will have great success, even more so should these cannons be as effective as Sandrin hopes. Truthfully, I had just recently learned how the sky is but the exhalation of Shivoam, and riding ships of the air, is just an extension of the riverboats of the Serpent. Hopefully I can witness the effectiveness first hand.

Xzandrate

Messenger Report

Post by Xzandrate » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:58 am

**As the magic flows across the page the words come into view**

Adepts on behalf of the Aeronaut Club are looking to equip the Arngeir with weaponry to breach the Stormwraith cloud protecting the castle in the sky.

Faction: Ianjyre Estate
Brief: Theran scholar who's home was moved by the same magics that moved Gannagroth Liferock
Notable Actors:
Kerim Ianjyre. Master geologist

Faction: Theran Armory of Garonne
Brief: Theran armory in north east
Notable Actors:

After Action Report:
The scholar Kerim was consulted by the adept group and directed to a strange mineral that shifted in and out of astral and occasionally exploded when the proper magics were applied. After finding the mineral and collecting a suitable amount of test specimens they then moved to the ruins of a theran outpost named Armory of Garrone where they collected cannons of a superior construction. These are being examined to try and improve current technology.

Be wary of the ruins of the armory, the seem to be inhabited by a rather resilient subspecies of troll that has been infused with wood.

No know Theran strongholds or locations of importance are known to be near this location. This may have bene part of a covert Theran military operation, there could still be a hidden base in this area. It begs further investigation.

Reporting Senior Agent: Bearded Dragon

**The words vanish as the magic dissipates**

LadyDragoon

Post by LadyDragoon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Darling and wonderful family,

It’s been to long since I wrote. I am doing amazing and I am getting stronger everyday, physically and “spiritually”. The spa is doing well with the new services I am now offering. Recently I have come across another idea, but I am not sure how to implement it as of yet. This idea came to me from my last adventure.

I was approached by one of my wonderful friends Sandrin. He wanted to know if I would accompany him to help find a material of earth that explodes to help create a weapon to get past some sort of barrier. Not sure what he meant but I am always interested in items of the earth, especially if they are used for healing purposes. We contacted some of my other friends to help with this venture: Reyis, Moe’uhane, and LaShana.
So off we went. We hooked ourselves a ride with “Dragon Flying Carpet Express” (Moe made flying carpets for us). We went to seek out a man by the name of Kerim. I guess he is a well-known geologist. I will have to say he has a misunderstanding on the intelligence of Trolls. He was very surprised of the suggestions that I made. Must not have come across too many trolls in his time. He did show tendencies to forget things such as where his original home was called.

He showed us a very curious item. A rock he collected that vibrated and lost structure only to reappear again. He said that these rocks were known to explode when they encountered something. Interesting. I think I will call them “Pop Rocks”. He gave us the location of the rocks but did not know the name of it. I guess we also needed a special cannon to put these rocks in to work too. So, a second location was needed to be journeyed to.

It took us some time to get to the area that Kerim told us about. It was very weird. The area surrounding the location was lush and green but the actual area was void of such. When we got closer we saw the rocks we needed and we did witness the phenomenon of the exploding rocks. We had to be very careful. I guess I was to focused on the Pop Rocks and stepped in a hole that had some sort of lizard creature in it. I called them Nibbles cause they nibbled me. Get it?

Well we were able to subdue Nibbles and collect the rocks in a chest that was provided for us by Kerim( plus a wheelbarrow). Off to the second location: the Thorn Spiked Jungle. Once we arrived at our second location the party decided it was best to sneak. Most of the party disappeared and walked forward to the area. In the area there was a group of Forest Trolls. They seemed to be worshipping something. The problem was that the cannons that we needed was part of their alter. Our dear friend Sandrin was the one who would speak to them. I followed with an offering to their alter to show we meant no harm. I guess something got lost in the translation cause after I showed them that I respected the earth they thought of me as some kind of “Earth Mother” and had to pick a champion to …. Well … lets just say to become very, very close friends with. As flattered as I am for the offer I expressed that maybe the champion should have his pick from the village to become “Friendly” with. I feel bad that we deceived them, but I didn’t want to cause them harm. They were very primitive people. We did trick them to giving us the cannons and left without any further incident. Mission accomplished.

So my idea that I took away from this is finding away to make a bathtub that has some way to make bubbles on it’s own with out exploding.
I will keep you informed.
Until I write again.
Azurea

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:49 pm

The Adventures of Sandrin
Chapter 17 - Rock n' Roll

I had an epiphany, my gentle readers. The threat of the Horror Cloud still weighed heavily upon my mind. I cannot lead a ship full of sailors to certain doom. We may have protected them from their lightning, but the Stormwraiths need to be slain en masse to truly eliminate their threat. After pouring through the Great Library, I discovered that these monsters are in fact corrupted air elementals. This means they are allergic to the touch of magical Earth. While fire cannons are legendary for their efficacy on other ships, they would prove little use here. We require Earth Cannons! Yet in all my reading, I found nothing indicating that such a this has been made before. I may be many things, but an Enchanter is not one of my talents. I must seek an expert in the field.

Fortunately, a year prior I met Kerim Ianjyre on my way to discovering the Gannogroth Liferock. An elderly elf and scholar of geology by trade. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be him. I gathered up Reyis, Azurea, LaShana, and Moe’uhane to join me in this scholarly endeavor. I did not know then that this was the perfect group for what was required.

We travel to Kerim’s villa without issue thanks in part to Moe’s flying carpets.

The villa appears to have weathered the past year well enough. There is new construction of more practical offices and homes made of stone. The guards address Lord Kerim as Doctor now. They’re speaking to us in Throalic, but to each other in Theran.

The butler greets us and sees us into the veranda for refreshments. Shortly after arriving, Kerim joins us. Telling Kerim of our goal, he brings us into his study, a large room with many display cases containing rocks, shelves filled with leather-bound tomes, a large desk messy with papers and notes, ink, and quill set. Our host shows us one small rock, about an inch around, which is held within an iron cage. Parts of it seem to phase in and out of existence. Reyis notices it doing odd things in Astral Space, it’s Pattern keeps changing (the cage appears to be preventing outside magics from affecting it).

Kerim explains that this is a rare mineral sample, he's had it for ages. It behaves oddly, especially when exposed to magical forces it can explode. Any large amount of energy will trigger it.

We pour over the library for hints of where the villa used to be. Despite the lack of mention of the city itself, we find enough notes to triangulate a location of where they used to be. He’d like for us to bring back the stone, and find the Name of the city. However, for our goal, we also need proper cannons. A small Theran armory was also nearby, known for metallurgy, they made barrels for Theran Airships. Moe’huan notices that the rock is very similar in the Illusionist, like the Other Place spell. Kerim provides an iron-bound chest for us to carry the material.

Finding the Quarry

We head for the source of the phase-rock.
We find a few settlements scattered about the countryside. They’re very guarded and self-reliant. They all speak Throalic, with occasional Theran.
There’s a large area of cracked earth that starts with a straight line. Azurea uses Earth Bond to learn more about the location but has trouble communing. Looking about we see rocks phasing around, and occasionally exploding. Astral space is not corrupt, but extremely odd, stretched out, and repeating patterns.

We carefully start collecting rocks. The ground beneath Azurea suddenly opens up and she falls into a newly dug hole, twisting her ankle a bit. Right next to her is a large lizard (Volus) that just burrowed under her. The rest of us spot a few more things burrowing under the rocks.

We quickly dispatch the second lizard to emerge, and injure the first enough to send it fleeing back underground.

We return to collecting rock samples. Reyis uses Item History to predict when they explode. Moe’uhane uses Presto to reach into the box, and out of a sack in the field, to use Fast Hand to transfer them safely into a bag. LaShanna also uses Pick Pocket to pluck the rocks.

The box is quickly filled with rocks and also a dolls head, some Theran coins, and other nick-nacks.

The next day we’re fully healed and head for the next location.

Return of the Earthmother

This area is on the edge of the Thornspike Jungle. We start sneaking through the jungle, though Reyis needs a little help. We follow some game trails, looking for the massive landmarks mentioned in the journals.

We arrive at the ruins of the armory. There are humanoid figures larger than a troll inside, with bits of wood or bark replacing parts of their bodies and carrying crude weapons. In the center, there’s a figurehead of an airship that’s been propped up like a ceremonial altar, along with a pair of cannons propping it up.

We listen for a while and Moe, Reyis, and I learn their crude Troll dialect.
Azurea gets some berries for the shrine and approaches. I makes a First Impression and makes introductions. They refer to the ship as Earth Mother.
Azurea uses Earth Bond to make the ground lush with plants. They are amazed by this power, and believe she is the Earth Mother. Two of them head into the forest to bring back offerings for Azurea. Another takes things from the alter and brings them to Azurea. One of the trolls looks skeptical and asks me why I'm important. I claim that I recovered the Earth Mother and can serve as a translator between them. Two of the trolls bring the cannons over to Azurea.

With the Trolls all gathered around, they ask for Azurea to choose a Champion. She chooses the Troll that was skeptical of her being the Earth Mother. He's surprised and reluctantly starts taking his clothes off. We quickly make excuses of how he’s not to mate with her, she must stay pure to heal the land. Relieved, they go off to start a feast.

We load up the dense cannons onto a flying carpet and leave the Armory of Garonne behind.

We return to Karim’s villa before heading back to Throal. He’s delighted to take some new samples, but disappointed we don’t know the name of the City. We spend some time checking on the development. Slaves are now being paid, mostly with script and new homes.
Karim is concerned about how to make money with the settlement. We suggest he set up a school in geology, history, etc.