AAR(5H): Obsidiman Trouble (2020-10-01 @ 2200 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

predajey
AAR(5H): Obsidiman Trouble (2020-10-01 @ 2200 GMT)

Post by predajey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:20 pm

LFG: [5H] Obsidiman Trouble
Time: 2020-10-01 @ 22:00 GMT
GM: Jeff
Difficulty: 5H

Rumor: Killian has heard from other obsidiman that there seems to be a group of newly awakened obsidiman trapped in the Ayodhya liferock and feels obliged to help them get out and/or protect them from outside dangers.

Reward:
  • Half price Warrior Training
  • Half price Attribute Training
Note: Up to 5 players
Last edited by predajey on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: LFG (5H): Obsidiman Trouble

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Name: Elisen
Last played on: 2020-09-22
ECR: 6 (42630lp)
Discipline: Cavalryman 6 / Troubadour 2
Quote/Unique: Deliverance flies on silent wind
Notable Abilities: Zoak power! (and a last chance salve)
Downtime: Animal training step 14 (10 + karma), Item History 12 (rank 3)
Last edited by sigfriedmcwild on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serespar

Post by Serespar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:31 pm

Name: Nib
Date of Last Game Played: Saturday, September 26, 2020 [ Corporate Espionage ]
Circle: ECR 6
Discipline: Windling Wizard ( Journeyman Rank )
Unique: A friendly flying astral sensitive and spell slinger
Perma Party Spell Buffs:
- Energy Shield ( Avoid Blow + 4 and Steel Thought + 4 [can default even if you do not have the talent] )
- Mage Armor ( Physical Armor + 3 )
- Quicken Pace ( Move + 6 )
Downtime: Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime;
- Research Talent ( Rank 2, Step 21, Step 24 with Library access for a cost of 20 SP )
- Item History Talent ( Rank 3, Step 14 )

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Name: Bloodbeat II of Syrtis
ECR: 5
Last game played: Sept. 26
Discipline: Nethermancer 5
Quote/Unique: Tsch!  I hate birds!!
Notable Abilities: I talk to dead people, and make enemies wish they were anywhere else but here.
Downtime:
  • Alchemy Step 9 (rank 2 + perception 7)
Primary character

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:55 pm

Name: Juniper
ECL: 5
Discipline: Shadow
Quote/Unique: "Power to the people!"
Notable Abilities: Streetwise
Downtime: Drugs, poetry slams, volunteering, romantic entanglements
Last Game Played: 2020-09-23 (Fancy Side-Burns)

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:24 pm

Name: Lazulin
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-09-26
ECR: 6
Discipline: Raider (6)
Unique: Combat and combat related accessories, and the guiding light of the sun.
Downtime: Research 3(9)

iceface9

Post by iceface9 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:33 am

Name: Killian
ECL: 5
Discipline: Warrior
Quote/Unique: Unmobile wall
Notable Abilities: hitting things hard
Downtime: Craft weapon and armor rank 3 step 8
Last Game Played: 2020-09-20

Requester

Rathan01

Post by Rathan01 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:38 pm

Name: Malonin "Mal" Tyrnith
Last time you (player) played: 2020-09-26
Discipline: Archer 5
Quote/Unique: I shoot arrows and I know things.
Notable Abilities:
  • Putting holes in places there shouldn't be holes.
  • Disarm Traps(skill): rank 1, step 8
  • Navigation(skill): rank 1, step 8
  • Tracking: rank 1, step 8
Downtime: Craft Weapon (rank 3, step 10)

predajey

Post by predajey » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:38 am

AAR: Obsidiman Trouble
GM: Jeff
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Bloodbeat: 6000 LP, 713 SP, 5 TIPs.
Killian: 6000 LP, 713 SP, 5 TIPs.
Nib: 6000 LP, 713 SP, 5 TIPs.
Bloodbeat: 6000 LP, 713 SP, 5 TIPs.
Elisen: 6000 LP, 713 SP, 5 TIPs.

Journal: 300 LP, 178.3 SP

GM Reward: Jarock (4000 LP, 475 SP, 3 TIPs)

Alt Rewards:
  • Half price Warrior Training
  • Half price Attribute Training
Downtime:
Nib:
  • Research Talent ( Rank 2, Step 21, Step 24 with Library access for a cost of 20 SP )
  • Item History Talent ( Rank 3, Step 14 )
Bloodbeat:
  • Alchemy Step 9 (rank 2 + perception 7)
Elisen:
  • Animal training step 14 (10 + karma), Item History 12 (rank 3)
Summary:
Killian is tasked by the Gannagroth elder Key Stone to assist the Ayodhya Liferock. Bloodbeat II found Bonebeat, the bone spirit version of Bloodbeat I (summonable at GM discretion). The party learned about the T'Skrang pilgrimage route anchored at the Ayodhya Hill, and defeated a Gharmek, who was controlling a large army of stone infused Cadaver Men. The party also came across Torgun and Ursal, who were the first two Cadaver Men that the Gharmek brought back to life. Their bodies have been cremated to prevent being brought back again.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: AAR(5H): Obsidiman Trouble

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:52 am

From the memoirs of Elisen of clan Adorjan, Haressa-tis and Lore Keeper

Just as I got back from Trayckid where Rose had built a harness carrying housing and other facilities that Isidoros could wear. (thanks to Davrim Bolg for pointing me in the direction of their apprentice for this project), Killian (obisidiman Warrior) asked me if I would join them on a trip to the Ayodhya liferock.

Joining us were:
- Bloodbeat Syrtis, a t'skrang Nethermancer
- Nib of clan Skyreader, a windling Wizard
- Solanus "Juniper" Pyrocanths, an elven Shadow

The journey south to the Coil river started uneventfully, other than Juniper having to buy some spare clothes since they joined us wearing their coat and little else (and looking rather worse for the wear) until, a few hours before Clearcreek Crossing, Bloodbeat and Nib felt drawn off the road into the woods. Juniper complained a bit about the digression until Bloodbeat noticed a spirit in the area and made it manifest. The spirit looked like a t'skrang and apparently a previous incarnation of Bloodbeat themselves, I confess I was barely paying attention before that revelation and I never fully understood what was going on. Eventually Bloodbeat grabbed a bunch of remains to take them to safety, which meant to Clearcreek.

We got to the Coil and booked on a boat down to lake Ban without issues even if the charges for a Dyre are ridiculous.

Once we reached the lake, we left the boat and wandered in a village asking about the liferock, Juniper managed to find a local that says nobody had been seen leaving Ayodya in the last couple of months and that it started after two adepts went there.

This is where this tale gets rather chilling, the adepts were described as a troll and a dwarf of fighter bent both carrying axes, when I heard this my blood ran cold with the sudden feeling they would be Ursal and Torgun. That possibility left me shaken enough that I partook in some of Juniper's "relaxation techniques" to get some sleep that night. (I wrote about those events in my Songs of Dawn and Songs of Passion)

More questioning of the locals revealed that the two mysterious adepts were rather beaten up when they showed up, also the locals had been sending people to Ayodhya to check, but nobody had come back.

The next morning we set out toward the liferock following the old pilgrimage route, we climbed up to the plateau where we found red rock walls making a maze around the location of the liferock. I flew over the walls to get an idea of the layout, then guided the others in, leaving Isidoros and Teh outside. Unsettlingly it looked like bodies were embedded in the walls in some kind of parody of a liferock.

Beyond the maze we found an open area with several cadaverous looking things standing next to some obsidimen. We moved to attack the cadavermen, which seemed to ignore us until harmed. After we took a few down we stopped and talked to the obsidimen, who told us to flee while we still could and that the cadaver things came back every day. My performance in the fight was less than stellar as those things were imbued with earth and extremely tough and I found myself unhorsed and pummelled into unconsciousness.

I decided to fly back to Isidoros to ask them to lend me their strength to recover from the worst of my injuries. As I was doing that I noticed dozens more cadavermen blocking the path out, which I let the others know about, the obsidimen told us that they stopped anyone from leaving and some food appeared every morning.

Nib looked on the astral plane, trying to find the source of corruption in the area and then we spent a while trying to identify the location. Eventually we decided to settle down for the night. During my watch I saw Ursal and Torgun, looking in a really bad shape, walk in with some game. After nudging Killian awake, I started talking with them, they said they felt pulled here and have been "protecting the people from the dangers outside". I pushed them some more and they didn't seem to be aware of their own death until I mentioned it myself, at which point Ursal took me to a pile of garbage and dug out a mask with a long fuzzy black headdress, saying they'd found it just as they woke up after their (second) death.

Taking another turn for the bizarre, the mask opened its eyes and started talking. It readily admitted to being a horror and kept talking, I guess to convince us to stay or to make some kind of deal. Now, I'm not one to see the horrors' hand behind every shadow, but when one is in front of me I know what the right thing to do is.

So, after a quick glance back to check if everyone was awake, I attempted to impale the horror, which seemed to surprise it. The fight was thankfully short as the horde of cadavers guarding the exit started charging towards us but was undone when we fell the monster. Ursal and Torgun did not become aggressive at any point, but were released with all the others.

After the horror was dead the corruption cleared and the obsidimen were extremely relieved and offered us training and gems in reward. For my part I made sure to burn Ursal's and Torgun's bodies to make sure they could not be abused like this again.
Last edited by sigfriedmcwild on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.