AAR [5m] Corporate Espionage. 2020-09-26 @ 1400 gmt

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Xzandrate
Re: LFG [5m] Corporate Espionage. 2020-09-26 @ 1400 gmt

Post by Xzandrate » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:35 pm

***The intricately covered ice blue journal contains a single blue crystal on the centre, with the simple gold lettering below it 'Lazulin' ***

Page 10
Bloodbeat required assistance in the investigation and tracking of individuals attempting to sabotage a spice merchant in Skyreader Island. Undoubtably I agreed. I understand the need to raid and prove you have earned what you take, but these were not raids, they were petty acts of sabotage.

We spoke with the spice merchant and he detailed the great variety of locations that had been destroyed, perfectly good crop going to waste. These were not only hidden wild locations that they had cultivated over the last couple years, but private holdings within the city amongst a shared garden. The merchant was blissfully unaware that this type of action normally escalated, if someone was petty enough to destroy perfectly good foodstuffs when so many in Barsaive struggle to eat, it would only be a matter of time until someone stumbled across the culprit and something far more violent occurred.

We eventually made our way to one of the outlying harvest locations that the merchant suspected would be targeted next. He may be as shrewd in skulduggery as he appeared to be in business, for when we arrived what could only be described as a small army of jubjubs were devouring the crop of trees. The beasts had drawn the attention of some other predators as well, large crocodiles. We dealt with the infestation quickly, and then noticed that each of the beasts wore a collar. This began to make more sense. Why would a predatory animal eat a rare plant not native to it's food chain, because someone trained or commanded it to. I can think of little positive uses for a herd of fifteen jub jub, these were likely thugs for hire. We decided to turn the tables and attempt to waylay them when they returned.

We awoke the next morning to an unmanned rowboat making it's way to shore. We reciprocated and hid ourselves. Though their Illusion was effective, the keen eyes of Redsun were more effective. The group of five bandits crept onto the beach feeling safe in their illusion, but as they began to approach the unaware of our party the danger heightened. An arrow screamed through the air and plucked the windling from the air. A keen observation in hindsight. This was the person in the best position to direct the remaining bandits. One guarded the boat, three moved into the brush, the windling was the obvious leader. Mal downed another who stumbled across him in the bush. While I could still not see any of the living ones I knew their key to escaping successfully was the boat, I leapt onto the bow of the boat and bellowed for them surrender or continue to fall to the sniper fire. Like the cowardly bandits that they are, they attempted to flee, only turning when they felt they could jump poor Bloodbeat. With one of the bandits subdued, we allowed the remaining bandits to flee.

We took this one back to Skyreader Island, where he very obstinately refused any wrong doing. His friends escaped to Kampung Gajah and decried us as murderers and they were wronged. I believe these are likely street rats of a kaer such as Throal, they have practiced these pleas of innocence and victimization many times I am sure.

Should they or any other bandit read this:
I knowingly accept the title of murderer, I could try and ease the conscience of more civilized folk and claim to be a soldier or defender, but I am a Raider! I will kill you where you stand to prove my right. I will do so facing you head on and attempt to stop you from undermining the betterment of the people of Barsaive. I will not stand alone. I will not hide behind trickery, excuses, or some other figure. I will be at the front leading the charge. Know that there is mercy to be had, but only for those who will help the Namegivers of Barsaive reclaim the land and flourish.

***A great Iced Claw adorns the bottom of the page ***
Last edited by Xzandrate on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anoush

Re: AAR [5m] Corporate Espionage. 2020-09-26 @ 1400 gmt

Post by Anoush » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:54 am

Bloodbeat’s Journal:

Ever since the recent Pastry Festival on Skyreader Island, the spice trade had been booming. Many of the spices that S’Lyan’s Spices — a t’skrang company dealing in exotic spices —had been trading in for years were now redoubled in demand. Who doesn’t like a dash of sweet F’Riezal in their gooseberry tarts?

But S’Lyan had a problem. The secret sites along the Coil River where he’d been harvesting the raw spices for several seasons were now bare — someone had picked all the buds and then trampled the plants into the ground.

So, S’Lyan was looking for a group of investigators to assist them. He contacted a friend of friend in Throal — namely me, Bloodbeat — to help. I went looking for others to accompany me down to the Coil River to investigate. Lazulin, Mal, Nib and Redsun were all happy to help out.

After a pleasant five days on the road, we reached the shore across from Skyreader Island, where S’Lyan’s business was located. I swam the short distance to the Island, while my friends used the cable car baskets to get there. The cable cars went from the shore to Rabbit Island and from there to SkyReader Island. Very comfortable, but swimming is better.

S’Lyan’s shop was on the village square. It was mostly a workshop, with a counter area at the front for helping customers. Most products were in bins behind the counter, so S’Lyan (or one of his many family members) would take the order and then collect the needed spices from the bins, package it all up, collect payment and hand the package to the customer. In fact, when we arrived S’Lyan himself was helping a young windling boy pick up a package for his family.

Then, S’Lyan turned to us. He welcomed us heartily, very happy to see people who’d help him out of his predicament. We went into the backroom — a kitchen and dining area — to learn more. S’Lyan’s family lived upstairs from the shop conveniently.

S’Lyan told us that about three weeks ago, his community garden plots — two large allotments — had been ruined. All the plants — mostly herbs, some berries — destroyed and ground into the earth. Then over the following week, as he or family members went to various plots to harvest spices, they realized that the spice plants had been ruined, destroyed as well. Not just picked clean, but the plants themselves had been cut and chopped and ground into the soil.

S’Lyan couldn’t think of anyone who’d want to ruin him, either personally or professionally. No one in his family had changed their behavior significantly over the last few months. There were no new close associates who seemed a bit off. Nothing suspicious among family and friends. S’Lyan was now out of stock on some of the products he normally carried. His biggest customers were the local bakeries, the brewery and a couple of cafes. To get more product, he had resorted to buying them wholesale from a spice trader in Lake Ban, and then passing on the higher cost to his customers. Not a good situation.

The first destruction was of the local plots. The most recent — so far as S’Lyan could tell, since they only visited the harvesting grounds periodically — was discovered four days ago and the damage looked very new at the time. Right then, some family members were out harvesting and would be back by supper, so they might have more news. Most of the harvesting areas are on shore, but a couple are in the river itself. No special handling (e.g., for poisonous plants) was needed for the plants he harvested.

Next, we visited the local plots. S’Lyan had given us a diagram of what had been planted where. A good thing, too, as the plots were barren when we saw them. Nearby were some orchard plots. A middle-aged woman was picking pears from a tree there. Nib approached her, and after convincing her he wasn’t going to steal her pears, they had a pleasant chat. The woman assumed the damage had been done by vandals, kids. She reported that one evening she left for home and the plots were fine, but when she arrived early the next morning, they were destroyed. Horrible!

Meanwhile, Redsun was examining S’Lyan’s allotments. He reported that the damage was methodical, not the work of simple vandals or children. In additional to the general destruction, Redsun found evidence of frost damage. We speculated that an adept — perhaps an elementalist — might be among those who destroyed the plants. How very sad that an elementallist, who normally nurtures plants, would destroy them like this. Redsun also found lots of tracks, too many to tell anything more, but they were from a variety of Name-givers, t’skrang, humans and windlings.

S’Lyan’s nearest harvesting plot was about a three hour walk away, so we headed there in the hopes of catching the vandals in action. As we approached the area, among the trees that S’Lyan normally harvested, were about a dozen jub jubs! They were voraciously eating the trees, leaves, buds, and even the bark. A little more effort and the trees would be destroyed, unrecoverable.

As we came nearer, the jub jubs attacked. The terrain was lousy for a fight, with trees blocking sight lines for the arches and spell casters, as well making it harder and slower to get where you needed to be. I followed Lazulin into one thicket of trees, only to discover that he wasn’t fighting a jub jub, oh no, he was fighting a giant crocodile! The croc snapped at me, grabbed me in its jaws and hurt me badly, even giving me a wound. I retreated a bit, but the jub jubs followed. After that, we made short work of them. Then a second crocodile jumped out of the underbrush, this time attacking Mal, grabbing him. Nib and Lazulin raced over to help, and together brought down the croc. We skinned the crocodiles and planned to have sets of crocodile leather boots made for all of us back in Throal.

After the battle, we began recovering with the help of Healing Potions and other aids. In the meantime, we also examined the area more closely. Most of the jub jubs had collars or harnesses on them, common leather ones. We could only conclud that they were owned by someone. The tracks of the jub jubs led back to the river bank. We thought that strange since jub jubs normally preferred marshy areas, not river shores and not solid land. Examining the earth more closely, Redsun noted that there were signs that a boat had moored here, and that the jub jubs had either leaped from the boat to the shore, or used a plank from the boat to the shore. Obviously, the owners of these jub jubs were responsible for the damage to the spice plantings.

We decided to wait there for the vandals. We all found hiding spots and waited. About dawn, a small boat — capable of holding perhaps 10 Name-givers — arrived. But the boat was strangely empty. It pulled up onto shore about where the boat had arrived to drop off the jub jubs.

Astrally, Nib and I could make out about five patterns, so we suspected there were five Name-givers. Redsun’s True Sight let him see exactly where they were, and he reported three t’skrang, an elf and a windling. As the Name-givers approached, one called out for the jub jubs, but of course, there was no reply, They continued looking around and saw the blood and one of the dead jub jubs. We’d waited too long. Now they were alerted! Melee began.

Nib cast Dispel Magic on one and made him visible. I tried the same with Suppress Curse, but it had no effect. Or rather, it helped them, rather than helping us. It made the t’skrang immune to bad effects for a short time. Damn me! Why did I do that!? Redsun killed the windling and one of the t’skrang with a single arrow each. Wow! Such incredible shots. Others in the party took down another of the t’skrang. Then Lazulin raced to the prow of the boat, called out loudly for them to surrender, and stood there, waiting for the enemy to choose. The remaining t’skrang and the elf retreated to the boat, swimming under and around it to stay out of reach, and began towing it further from shore. I foolishly jumped into the water after them and luckily didn’t get myself killed.

In the end, the two remaining vandals escaped on their boat.

We returned to Skyreader Island with the one remaining, but hurt, t’skrang. The two others escaped to Kampung Gajah and joined their imprisoned companion in accusing us of murder.They claimed that the trees were public property, and they could graze their jub jubs wherever they wanted. They claimed that nothing they were accused of remotely justified this level of violence against them. Hard to believe someone would accuse a questor of Mynbruje — Redsun — of murder, but they did.

Serespar

Re: AAR [5m] Corporate Espionage. 2020-09-26 @ 1400 gmt

Post by Serespar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:23 am

We went to Skyreader Island to help a t'skrang spice merchant whose spice plots were being vandalized.

The family seemed to be making do, and growing food and spices in a small community garden as well as sustainably harvesting herbs from the forest near the river.

Vandals destroyed the family's garden plot in the community garden.

We went to one of the nearby sites in the forest where the merchant's children normally gather herbs. We found that someone had released a large pack of dangerous animals to destroy the herbs and the part of the forest that sustained them. The animals would have made short work of the kids. We suffered some severe injuries taking them out.

A while after the battle the animal handlers arrived to collect their beasts. Invisible. In a boat. The fight with the thugs was tough. Two were sniped by our archers. Lazulin got on their boat and ordered them to surrender. The thugs kept trying to kill us, then tried to flee. Two escaped and we returned to Skyreader Island with one captive.