AAR: [3M] Long Ago, but Not Forgotten (2020-09-03@23:00GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

iceface9
AAR: [3M] Long Ago, but Not Forgotten (2020-09-03@23:00GMT)

Post by iceface9 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 pm

LFG: Long Ago, but Not Forgotten
Time: 2020-09-03@23:00GMT
GM: Iceface9
Circle: 3
Difficulty: Medium

Rumor: http://fasagames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2059
Last edited by iceface9 on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bronzemountain

Re: LFG: [3M] Long Ago, but Not Forgotten (2020-09-03@23:00GMT)

Post by bronzemountain » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Name: Juniper
ECL: 4
Discipline: Shadow
Quote/Unique: "Power to the people!"
Notable Abilities: Streetwise
Downtime: Drugs, poetry slams, volunteering, romantic entanglements
Last Game Played: 2020-08-21
This is a secondary character. Please prioritize primaries.

Serespar

Post by Serespar » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Name: Nib
Date of Last Game Played: Friday, August 29, 2020 [Generalized Fraternity]
Circle: ECR 3
Discipline: Windling Wizard
Unique: A friendly flying astral sensitive and spell slinger
Downtime: Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime:
Research Talent (Rank 2, Step 15)

Rathan01

Post by Rathan01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:25 pm

Name: Malonin "Mal" Tyrnith
Last time you (player) played: 2020-08-29
ECR: 3
Discipline: Archer 3
Quote/Unique: I shoot arrows and I know things.
Notable Abilities: Putting holes in places there shouldn't be holes.
Downtime: Craft Weapon (rank 3, step 10)
Last edited by Rathan01 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 pm

Name: Bloodbeat II of Syrtis
ECR: 3
Last game played: Saturday, August 29, The Generalist Fraternity
Discipline: Nethermancer
Quote/Unique: Tsch!  I hate birds!!
Notable Abilities: I talk to dead people, and make enemies wish they were anywhere else but here.
Downtime:
  • Alchemy Step 13 (rank 2 + perception 7 + karma 4)
  • Physician Step 12 (rank 1 + perception 7 + karma 4)
Requester
Last edited by Anoush on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Name: Redsun
ECL: 4
Discipline: Archer
Quote/Unique: Big and hard hitting
Notable Abilities: Bring's the rain
Downtime

verse86

Post by verse86 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Name: Vallone
Date of Last Game Played: 8/21/2020 Freedom on The Soaring Espagra
ECR: 2
Discipline: Shadow 2
Unique: A dodgy little windling who throws shadow spears. Hates crows.
Downtime: N/A

This is a secondary character. Please prioritize primaries.

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Mal, Nib, Redsun, and Vallone, please join me tomorrow for our adventure.

Serespar

Post by Serespar » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:30 am

Long Ago But Not Forgotten

<Throalic Date Equivalent to September 3, 2020>

To Whom It May Concern

My friend Bloodbeat asked me to join her on a visit to the descendants of a friend of hers. Seems she knew a talented dwarf by the Name of Jodot Oakbraid before the Scourge, was fond enough of him to teach him Alchemy, and wondered how he and his family had fared sheltering in Kaer Kohldur (hex 40.08). She mentioned that she had “seeded” a number of skill techniques and caches of knowledge away in different locations before the Scourge, so that her future self could tap them as needed. (Long range planning seems like quite a tame term for this t’skrang Nethermancer, but I just took her disclosure at face value and went with it). Checking the records in the Great Library didn’t show any contact with Kohldur or the Oakbraids since the Scourge, so off we went.

We were accompanied by our Archer friends, Mal and Redsun, an elf and troll respectively, as well as Vallone the windling Shadow. Travel along the well maintained road to the north west from Throal was uneventful.

When we arrived in the area Bloodbeat remembered for the kaer, we found a small industrious village. Locals told us that it had been settled several years ago, but that the residents had only discovered their proximity to the Throal-Sosanopa road recently. While in town, we noticed that a Throalic t’skrang merchant, one Veridian, had opened trade relations and was conducting business. Local resources seemed largely unremarkable, although the Throalic Army is always searching for nearby sources of dried foodstuffs such as the local legume crop.

The gate guards required the usual artistic demonstrations and gave us directions to the Apothecary, but warned us that he wasn’t very good and sold slipshod goods that didn’t work properly. They said his stuff was dangerous to rely on if you were really hurt. Not good. Hmmm.

Storefronts along the main street appeared largely unremarkable, but might be a welcome resupply for local travelers or adventurers in need of basic goods. The Smithy we saw did not appear to produce any weapons, but farm implements, farrier work, cart repair and so forth seemed available.

The local watering hole, the Wailing Banshee included the usually sorts, plus a pair of novice level adepts, Xhorth a troll Swordmaster and his elven friend Gwynevere the Scout. The pair seemed to always be in the thick of things; dice games, drinking contests, arm wrestling and so forth. We later learned that they were the two who had scouted out the Harpy nest for Viktor (see below).

The Apothecary’s shop was… …not in the best repair when we arrived. Perusing the wares for sale revealed that while the goods contained genuine healing agents, they were significantly watered down. Once Bloodbeat discovered the dwarf behind the counter, Viktor, was the descendant of her friend, she explained that she was a friend of his great great…. …grandfather and asked him how the family was doing. I was surprised at how adeptly she got him to open up about the trouble the business was in given the ahem, unusual, nature of the conversation, but what works, works.

She soon had him sharing that he had started watering down his goods because of a problem with the supply. Some humanoids with wings had driven off his supplier and destroyed the fields. The whole conversation seemed… …off… ..tho, and this was exacerbated when an unknown Namegiver came to the back of the shop and was frantically shoo’d away. Huh. Viktor did not impress me as the most stellar of ethical individuals, and the whole encounter had a very “married to the mob” feel to it. We also learned that Viktor’s two sisters “had no interest in the business” and left town after their parents died about five years back. Huh again.

Bloodbeat persuaded Viktor to hire us to clear out the problem with the fields and pumped him for the pertinents; where it was, what to look for, and so forth. Then Viktor let slip that the town guard had been sent to investigate and didn’t come back, followed by the troll/elf pair from the bar, who only got close enough to see winged people and fled. Good to know… … and thanks for sharing up front?

We went back to the bar, bought some drinks, and pumped the troll and the elf for more details. We were able to get a bit better description of what to look for and where, but mostly the young adepts were like, nope, that’s above my paygrade n I ain’t messin with it. They did point out that the woods near the fields would provide some air cover against flyers, and we noted those locations for any upcoming unpleasantness. We also picked up wound cleaning supplies against the diseases commonly spread by harpies.

We decided to let Viktor’s organized crime vibe pass for the moment and headed out to the supplier’s fields, a day or so to the southwest of town. When we arrived, we found an abandoned shack and the abandoned fields, full of partially eaten, wasted and rotten apothecary supply plants and some sad looking scarecrows. Yay. While investigating, a group of harpies attacked. Am grateful that we knew what to expect and had the ranged attacks to deal with them. Fortunately, no one was injured and our disease precautions wound up being unnecessary. We speculated that whoever had their claws into Viktor would not be happy that he might no longer need their protection arrangement.

On the way back, Redsun spotted a cloaked human-ish sized figure ordering a pack of troajin (three feet at the shoulder tigers) to attack us. Good to know that the bad guys have something similar to beastmaster abilities. We fought them off and continued on our way back to town.

When we arrived back at the shop, the place was all smashed up and Viktor was missing. The “Guy in The Cloak” waltzed in with his hood hiding his face even in bright light. His pattern was journeyman level, an adept of some sort. He tossed a bag of money onto the floor and said “take the money and walk away. Viktor is a source of income I have no intention of letting go of.” As we prepared to pounce, I “saw” three large, powerful astral presences just outside the shop getting ready to let loose. I warned the party and we decided that a can of whoop ass could wait for another day.

Notes on the “Guy in the Cloak’s” astral signature are included in Appendix A.

One of the locals was rumored to be quite skilled with animals. We went to her nearby farm but were unable to find any leads to the “Guy in the Cloak”.

Local governance and thief guild territories are outside of Throalic jurisdiction; however, any Throalic interests doing business in Kohldur or along the area of the Throal-Sosanopa road should be aware of the organized crime operations.

In Service,

Nib

verse86

Post by verse86 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:32 am

Vallone's Journal:
Bloodbeat asked me to accompany her to meet an old friend. I couldn't refuse. Juniper isn't coming along this time, but Mal and Nib are here. And we have another archer named Redsun. He's a big troll, kinda like Thorkell who helped us out with the Crow King.
Bloodbeat took us to meet her friends. Unfortunately, they're dead now. But they're great great great....umm... maybe another great... grandkids still run a shop. We learned that from the guards, but they said the shop is not very good. I wonder why.
We got to meet the grandkid. His name is Viktor. Nib said his potions were watered down. Bloodbeat listened in on him from the back. She thinks some bad guys are threatening him. He told us his supplies had been cut off and that some guards and some adepts had been sent to fix it, but they failed.
Apparently it was some flying things... I hope they're not crows.
Bloodbeat and Nib want to talk to the adepts. They found the troll and elf at the bar. I'm not old enough to drink so I stayed off to the side. After talking to them, Nib said we're dealing with harpies. They look kinda like birds, but aren't crows. It should be okay. They got some alcohol for the trip...something about it being good for infections.
We set out to where Viktor said the harpies were. It was a pumpkin patch with scarecrows. They gave me an idea. I'm going to make a scarecrow charm for Sarell to protect her while I'm away. The scarecrows don't seem to work on harpies, though. They started landing and eating up all the pumpkins. We weren't being as sneaky as we thought because some of them noticed us. They said some really mean things to us, but Mal and Redsun shot them up good. I even got some good hits in. Juniper would be proud. Nib was doing some magicky stuff that made me feel great and Bloodbeat ripped her face off to scare the harpies. They say "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me." I think we proved that today because our arrows and spears were much better at hurting than the harpies' words.
We found an abandoned shack where I think the farmer used to live and stayed the night there.
On our way back we were attacked by some big striped cats Nib told me were called troajin. Redsun didn't seem to be in a good mood because he killed two of them in 12 seconds. Mal and I did our best to keep up, but I just couldn't seem to hit them. Apparently Redsun saw a guy telling the cats to attack us. How rude.
When we got back to tell Viktor the good news, we found his place was all messed up. The guy who Redsun saw order the cats around came into the store. He told us we shouldn't get involved with Viktor any more. Bloodbeat was ready to fight and I would have been right behind her, but Nib sensed some other really strong things around and told us not to attack.
I hope Bloodbeat is okay. I'll have to help her out if she wants to come back here to talk to Viktor again.