AAR: [6H] Flight of the Almarra (2020-08-12 2300 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 pm

LFG: Flight of the Almarra
Time: 2020-08-12 23:00 GMT
GM: Dvarim
Circle: 6
Difficulty: Hard

Rumor: In the Marrek valley, the Almarra Windlings are being hunted. Fire and fear have left them without a home. Nez answers the call to lead them to safety - who will join him?

Requested by: Nez
Reward: Windmaster Ordeal
Benefit: Be a part of history

Notes:
- Adventure runs at 7:00pm EDT on Wednesday, August 12th
- As always, I run groups of 5 players.
- This is a retcon: the Almarra windlings are not yet based in the Floating City of V'strimon. This is your chance to be a part of the canon.

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] Character name
[b]Date of Last Game Played:[/b]
[b]Circle:[/b] Circle of your character
[b]Discipline:[/b] Your character's Discipline(s)
[b]Unique:[/b] What your character is bringing to the table.
[b]Downtime:[/b] Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime: [Talent] [Step including +Karma Step if appropriate] ([Rank]) ([Further Details])
Last edited by bronzemountain on Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jexel

Re: LFG: [6H] Flight of the Almarra (2020-08-12 2300 GMT)

Post by Jexel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:33 pm

Name: Nez
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-07-28
ECR: 6
Discipline: Beastmaster(6)/Warrior (4)
Downtime: Animal Training - step 16 (Rank 6), Research Step 9

Sagarmatha does not like it when you call me small.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:00 pm

Name: Thorkell Gulbrandsen
Date of Last Game Played: 8/10/2020 The Girl Who Reached For The Sky
ECR: 5
Discipline: Weaponsmith 5
Unique: Thorkell brings the downtime activities. Besides that he is a perceptive and tanky troll.
Downtime:
[Forge Weapon] (13+4)
[Forge Armor] (12+4)
[Item History] (11+4+3)
[Craftsman] (12+4+4) can make mundane items, weapons, and armor
[Research] (10+3)
Last edited by verse86 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

predajey

Post by predajey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:23 pm

Name: Vralino Hammer-Shield
Date of Last Game Played:Aug 11
ECR: 5
Discipline: Spear Master
Unique: Spears, Surgery, and Socializing...somewhat. I also navigate and alchemate.
Last edited by predajey on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian L

Post by Brian L » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Name: Reyis Poriv
Date of Last Game Played: Aug 11
Circle: ECR-7
Discipline: Shaman (5)/Monk (4)
Unique: Spells-Buffs to Awareness, Stealth, Healing, Poison, other things.
Downtime: Animal Training (5) Step 15; Research (4) Step 20; Item History (4) Step 20; Large supply of acid and acid like ingredients.
Plays well with others and shares toys.

iceface9

Post by iceface9 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Name: Rose
Date of Last Game Played:8-11-2020
ECR 6
Discipline: Nethermancer 6/ Weaponsmith 4
Unique: Last chance, buffs, debuffs, and Roundabout healing
Downtime: Item History Step 14
Forge Weapon step 15

Note: Secondary Character

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Flight of the Almarra 2020-08-12 @2300 GMT
GM: Dvarim
Circle: 6
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Rose: 11,000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIPs
Nez: 11,000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIPs, Windmaster Ordeal
Reyis: 11,000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIPs
Vralino: 11,000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIPs
Thorkell: 11,000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIPs

GM Reward:
A'horangi: 4,000 LP, 475 SP, 3 TIPs

Downtime Actions Available:
Reyis: Animal Training 5/15, Research 4/20, Item History 4/20
Rose: Forge Weapon 14, Item History 14
Thorkell:
[Forge Weapon] (13+4)
[Forge Armor] (12+4)
[Item History] (11+4+3)
[Craftsman] (12+4+4) can make mundane items, weapons, and armor
[Research] (10+3)
Nez: Animal Training 6/16

Further Information: Shivalahala V'strimon is dead. Long live Shivalahala V'strimon. Generations from now, there will be windlings in the Floating City named Rose, Nez, Reyis, Thorkell, and Vralino. 75 years from now, the windling Troubadour Gelishan Perce will write his famous work, "The Flight" to commemorate the historic journey of the Almarra and the circumstances of their arrival at the Floating City.

predajey

Post by predajey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:22 pm

The following is a recollection from Vralino Hammer-Shield, a 15 year old Ork girl who grew up avoiding society. At this point, she has found value in a small circle of friends and has even begun networking socially for jobs. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). It is written in Or'zet.

I found a JOOOOOOOOOOB! This is going to be a long trip, too! Kind of like when we went to the Tylon Mountains! This guy named Nez was organizing a rescue force to help the Elmorada (or something like that) Windlings from the Valley of Merica? Details, details, we got work to do!!!

A quick trip to Sosanosopa, then we had to find a boat to take us to the Valley of Merica. These T'Skrang are evil. They wouldn't let me in the engine room! I just wanted to learn how to operate the boat! Stingy lizard shits. Anyways, I spent a lot of time watching the river as we powered down the Serpentine. I saw them dancing, and I decided to join in. They were so entertained, they couldn't help but laugh. It's always fun to see smiles on other people's faces, almost as much fun as the look of anguish on enemies!

We arrived in the Valley of Merica. I was the navigator, but they gave me a crap map. It took us a lot longer to get to the Windling village than I thought. We had to turn around a couple times, but if you had seen this map, you'd know why I got us lost so many times. It didn't help that they handed it to me upside down, either! And there was no compass! How am I supposed to find North if there's no compass on the map!?!

The Windling village was devastated. I mean, there were injured everywhere. Their armor was in tatters, and their weapons were made for hunting, possibly militia? Either way, they were hastily built. I did what I could to patch up a few of them, not that it did much good. I spoke with the guard, too. Apparently they were attacked by other Windlings who were not Windlings? Windlings are silly. We prepared for departure. Thorkell rigged a few sleds to speed our journey back to the boat. It helped a lot. We made great time, and thanks to the Windlings, it was easier getting back to the Serpentine than it was getting to their village.

We stopped for a night on the way. That's when bad things happened. I was out gathering wood with Thorkell, and our camp came under attack. A bunch of boar looking things. I ran back to camp, completely forgetting about Thorkell. He was on Death's door in seconds. I can't believe I left him to die. I can't believe that giant boar looking thing took him out so quickly. If Thorkell didn't waste so much time on his books, he might have been ok. Maybe he could make a book based scale armor! Anyway, he survived, and I barely made it out alive. Nez, Reyis, and Rose didn't seem to have much issue with the boars. Sugarmother was a huge help. Sugarmother is Nez's pet cat.

We made it to the Serpentine to find that the boat was gone. Our long boats were still there, but there wasn't enough room for all the Windlings. I suggested we crossed to the other side, where there was less jungle for the beasties to hide in. We rigged the boats so that we could tether them to Thorkell or myself. That allowed us to carry not only more Windlings, but also one of our own party members. With that, we could extend our night watch without hurting ourselves with fatigue. One of us could sleep in the boat as we followed the Serpentine. After a couple days, a small T'Skrang sloop happened by. We waved it down and they gave us a ride to some city in the mountains. There were more T'Skrang waiting for us, and they told us we couldn't stay. I would say T'Skrang are evil, but they seemed hesitant to deny us entry. The sloop Captain also refused to take us further, but someone else offered to take us to the Floating City over Lake Ban.

The T'Skrang didn't let us into the Floating City. These guys are evil. They were afraid of some Horror that was following us. It was just a giant crow made up of other smaller crows. What's to be afraid of? It's not even approaching us. It's probably scared of us. We are a bunch of badass adventuring Adepts. Kreesta, who gave us a ride to Lake Ban, was able to enter the City, but we and our slowly dwindling Windling charge were forced to beach nearby. Thorkell flipped our long boats and hid the children inside. He'd make a great dad someday. The crows slowly started to land nearby. Then Kreesta and a Shavalahara? came over? He claimed himself to be Shavalahara V'Strimon. I guess he was important, because the rest of our guys were in complete awe over him. The crow formed, some Gnashers showed up, Corrupted Windlings appeared, and the Shavalahara summoned five elemental golem auroch thingies. At this point, I was impressed. I've never seen such powerful magic. I want to do magic! I didn't have time to marvel over his power, though. I had to fight the beasties. It did not go well. Within moments I was nearly completely broken and barely conscious. Luckily, Thorkell had better luck. Poor Reyis, though. I thought I took a hard hit, but he was knocked out in seconds. Luckily we had Nez and Sugarmother. Rose was also a huge help. I don't think we would've survived if it weren't for those two.

There was a mix of reverence and sorrow from the Windlings. Their savior, Shavalahara V'Strimon, died destroying the King of Crows. Rose tried to save his life, but it was no use. The Windlings followed the Shavalahara's body back to the Floating City. I thought I'd feel better about saving 183 Windlings, but the severely somber mood even made it to me. I don't want to be here anymore. I want to go home and take a nap. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning. I hope I never have to come back to Lake Ban ever again. I don't like this feeling.

A few days after our return to Throal, a Windling showed up while I was working at the Physician's Office. He had a small box, and inside was a strange collection of bone needles and other tattooing equipment. It was dead enough at night, especially since I took the night shift at the POT, so I sat down as the Windling prepared to apply the tattoo. I didn't think much of it at the time, but as the ink entered my skin, it felt warm and surprisingly painless. It's my first tattoo, but I didn't think it would be so pleasant. Even weirder, he only punctured the skin once, and the ink flooded into the side of my face. I went to go look in the mirror, expecting to see a single dot, but the ink had spread and formed a curling shape that surrounded my eye and wrapped around my ear. It mimicked the patterns I had seen in the more tribal communities of the Orks. I'll have to have Thorkell take a look at it later. I bet he'll be so jealous of my first tattoo!
Last edited by predajey on Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jexel

Post by Jexel » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:35 pm

The Written Histories of Nez and Sagarmatha

Healing in a cot next to Sagarmatha he reminds me of a lesson of experience, desperation and being unreasonable. Sagarmatha is not one for writing so I will paraphrase here.

“Now if you were to ask a healthy, comfortable and reasonable individual how they would handle this situation;

We were hunted for a perverse pleasure, every day, every night, every dream of reprieve was a trap and a lie. Weeks for us, endless months for the Almarra. Our fate was sealed, a few of us at a time would meet our end in a gruesome way. In mocking irony those who fell would torment and attack us in the following days.

What would this reasonable comfortable individual say with near zero hope? Days filled only with exhaustion and despair. My guess is they would pray to the Passions that the children and their family would go early. With ensured death this would spare them enduring days and weeks of death and torture all around them. I think a wise and pragmatic individual would say such a thing.

Yet in the moment, when you see a child cowered next to a rock surrounded by terrors, you fight.

You always fight.

Today I honor the completely unreasonable Thorkell Gulbrandsen, Vralino Hammer-Shield, Reyis Poriv, Rose, Shirala of the Almarra and Shivalahala Kreesta V’Strimon”

Shirala has sent me a message that they have constantly been harassed since I last saw them. The letter sounded beyond desperate and that the need for help was urgent.

After urgently recruiting Reyis and Rose we had to grab some new companions Thorkell and Vralino. Sagarmatha was very concerned about Thorkel and Vralino and sure that they were going to die horribly. As always there is some truth to Sagarmatha’s warnings.

We quickly grabbed supplies and headed up to Sosonapa and booked passage on the Laughter Abounds from the captain Jekren Milara Syrtis down through the Marrek Valley to hopefully the cliff city of House Syrtis.

Vralino was very amusing with her infatuation with the T’skrang’s fire engine. After several days she began to be more and more forcibly removed from the entrance to the engine room.

After several days we got off the boat near where we thought the map pointed to the tribe. As we headed through the forest we saw some remains of the Marrek Empire which is a task for others..

After a day and half we were confronted by some Almarra Windlings who quickly brought us to Shirala.

The Windlings of the village look like they have been through hell and many battles. A sad sight as a funeral tree with about 50 shrouds hanging in cloth baskets from the trees. Many Windlings have families torn apart and still others have been very badly injured.

Shirala, obviously a capable adept, asks me to sit down to explain what the Almarra have been through these last couple months.

“We made our Kaers in the hills beneath the trees of this great valley centuries ago. Last summer we were thrilled with the beauty and the growth of the forest. Then a great fire came and their number of Windlings began to dwindle among all the settlements. Sometime they found bodies with no bones, but usually they found nothing. Wherever there were attacks on Windlings the crows were nearby watching and cawing. They started to kill the crows, but whatever they did, moving, joining forces….but always the attacks continued.”

“Foraging parties disappeared but also Windlings disappeared in the village. There are rumors of shadows. When we left our Kaer we were a vast tribe of 2,000, now 200 remain.”

Rose requests to experience the death of one of the fallen Windlings. In the vision he sees a murder of crows and semi serpentine & worm like flying creature with an unnecessary amount of teeth. Rose thinks that it was some sort of Gnasher, which she describes is a nasty Horror but not very bright and will many times serve more powerful Horrors.

As Reyis and Rose examine the astral space in the village they see some corrupt beastial astral eyes stalking in the distance.

I admire how Shirala leads her people. We decide that we must flee. The Almarra tribe have three adepts that we healed as some of the more injured. The task was too great for us and we would need all the questors of Garlen in Barsaive to fully heal this tribe.

We find that three adepts could be healed up. We also healed a scribe, a hunter and mayor.

In preparing for our retreat Thorkel built 4 sleds in the time I gathered up the rope for just one. Another reminder that it is best not to go at it alone.

After the first night we thought we had a good strategy with a watch but unfortunately we still lost 7 Windlings in the night.

As we travel we see several crows but the other Windlings will quickly take them out.

As we set up for camp we were ambushed by some spectral beast along with four Norikot. They charged in with a tremendous force. Thorkel was violently taken down right at the start, he did not wake until after the battle. The spectral beast knocked me down and then vanished into the air. The pig dogs grappled Rose and Reyis but we were able to beat them down and the back. We lost eight Almarra more during the fight. Although without Rose we would have lost even more.

The next day our hopes were crushed as we came to where the riverboat was supposed to be and see many T’skrang bodies and no riverboat.

We cross the river and start to make our way down the river. I made a system where we sleep in the launches during the day to be able to better guard us at night. We are still being hunted.

On the second day we had some luck as the riverboat passed and agreed to take us to the Cliff City.

We arrived at the Cliff City and four guards were waiting for us who denied safety to the Almarra. We also lost our boat since their leader Shivalahala Syrtis said doom followed the Almarra. I asked for healing aids, some were given. I asked for a night's rest, but none was given. I asked for a boat, none was given and finally I asked for a rock to throw into the damn river. The Almarra were quiet in their response, even the children had stopped crying as the certainty of death overtook the fear of death. The guards could not look at us as they knew their orders ensured our death.

During the commotion as people tried to get away from our fate and the feeling of knowing they did not help, one young T’Skrang approached who had a banner not of House Syrtis. She introduced herself as Kreesta and offered passage on her small fishing boat down to Lake Ban.

As we approach Lake Ban we are barricaded once again from entering by two large war boats. Kreesta who I have come to respect greatly demands to see the leader of House V’strimon to request sanctuary for the Almarra.

We camp on the shore as the Murder of Crows continues to antagonize us. We send Kreesta and Remy the troubador to request aid from the floating city. The war boats retreat to a distance that leaves us to our fate. As time passes more and more Crows begin to land all around us. If we scare one off, three replace them. The Crows start to form into a giant monstrosity of a crow with a halo of Windling Skeletons hovering around its head. He states that all those that fly will be in endless flight for its life. At that time Kreesta comes back with one old woman on a small boat. The T'skrang in regal robes says she will handle the King of Crows and we must defend her from the hoards of flying Gnashers and Corrupted Windlings. The battle begins in what I find out to be the Shivalahala of House V’strimon and the Horror referred to as the King of Crows. Her magic was impressive and quickly protected us from a blow of crow beak talons.

We suddenly have our hands full as the Gnashers and Corrupted Windlings lash out and dive into our party. We try to hold the line to protect those behind us and not expose our backs. Next to us it seems as the Shivalahala has released more magical energy than all the famed magicians of the Theran Empire combined.

At the end of the battle we stood victorious. Shivalahala collapsed and her protective magic seemed to fade. The wounds she took were too much for her to recover from and she was lost on the shores of Lake Ban.

The Almarra form a Honor guard for the fallen leader.

In the days since I have learned some interesting things. For one it appears that the Shivalahala can pass her knowledge on to the next leader.

Remy told the story of the fisherwoman Kreesta’s impassioned plea to the Shivalahala. It appears that after her plea our sanctuary was denied once again and Kreesta requested leave so she could join us in our defense. The Shivalahala was moved by the selfless act and said she would also grant one boon of her request. Upon that Kreesta said her boon was for the Shivalahala to join us. Remy’s account states that her guards nearly killed Kreesta before the Shivalahala could respond.

As amazing as this tale from Remy appears to be. I believe it. I also know that the Almarra believe it as well. The Shivalahala of V’strimon is never seen without her Windling guards. The Almarra know of the sacrifice that was made for their safety.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Thorkell's Journal
*written at the top of the page above where entries would normally be written it says* "It has felt like many of my adventures as of late have ended with despair. The following entries are very much a tale of despair. But also of hope and resilience."

A windling by the name of Nez has contacted Vralino with an urgent matter. It appears a windling village to the east is under much duress. We set out to Sosanopa looking for a boat to take us to the windling's territory.

We were able to procure passage on the T'skrang river boat powered by its fire engine. Legend has it that Upandal personally taught the Syrtis clan how to make fire engines. He did this because the powers of the world were unfairly balanced against them. *drawings of the ship and lines denoting motion as well as ideas for how to cause this motion on the next few pages*

We make it to the windlings encampment. The situation is just as described. Some two hundred windlings in tattered armor huddle in a makeshift camp. Fifty funeral cloths hang from trees. Orphans are tended to by those incapable of battle. We met their leader Shirella *notes on her crystal mail and true wood sword with simple drawings in the side notes* who looked worse for the wear. It seems they have been trying to contact Nez for six weeks. Perhaps the messengers were grabbed. It seems windlings have been going missing for months. This was not just from her clan, but others in the area. The settlements became too small to sustain themselves, so decided to band together. When this did not work, they moved locations. This worked for some time, but soon the disappearances resumed. Of the original 2000 windlings in the area, it appears around 200 remain. They have noted the crows in the area are tainted. They have named this unknown monster "The King of Crows." Rose had this morbid spell that allowed her to experience the death of a corpse. From this she was able to learn the horror that was killing the windlings was a Gnasher. Reyis was able to see some kind of horror stalking us in astral space. It left some kind of mark (not a full mark) on him. We started checking other members and found three more with a mark. We believe this is how they track the windlings. I was able to make some stretchers so that we could move the injured faster. Night was rapidly approaching so we set up a watch order with plans to leave first thing in the morning. Despite our keen efforts to watch the camp, the horrors stole away seven more windlings in the night.

The day's travel was fairly uneventful except for the occasional raven and the wolves watching from a distance. As we were setting up for our second night, we were attacked by some tusked wolf creatures. I can't account much of the battle due to one killing me within six seconds. From what I've been told Vralino charged the monster who killed me and was nearly done in by the monster herself. While dying I had a vision of a swarm of crows swirling around me, slowly closing in to consume me. Just before their beaks could pierce my flesh, great stone walls and buttresses erupted upward all around me. If not for Upandal's grace, I would have been too far gone for Rose's magics to save me. As I awoke the crows formed into a giant crow head silhouetted by the moon. It stared and laughed at us. More windlings were lost in the fight. The despair is palpable at this point. Even the cheery nature of the windlings can not take much more of this. The remaining count seems to be around 187. We stand watch, but the horrors have already done their dirty work.

Our second day of travel found us back at the river. Unfortunately, our boat had left us. T'skrang bodies littered the riverbank. The horror knew our plans. Our two launch boats were still intact. We used those to cross to the other side hoping this would deter some of our predators. Nez had the amazing idea of using the launch boats not only as extra sleds, but also a way for us to get some extra sleep so we could take extra watches at night. Vralino and I were able to pull them along easily enough. The extra watches seemed to have worked and fewer windlings were lost in the night.

On our fourth day (second on the other side of the river) the Passions smiled on us. A T'Skrang boat was spotted heading down the river. We were able to hail them and secure passage to Syrtis. We would still see a wolf occasionally along the banks, but the more concerning thing was the larger and larger flock of crows following us.

We finally arrived at Syrtis. We were greeted at the dock by some guards and what appeared to be council members. They had visions of our coming and that it would bring destruction upon Syrtis. They offered us bandages and supplies, but no shelter or respite. Even the boat that brought us refused to take us any further. Just as it seemed all hope was lost a younger T'Skrang fisherwoman by the name of Kreesta offered to take us on her ship to Lake Ban where she hoped the windlings may find aid. Her boat did fly the Syrtis colors. I believe she is of the V'strimon clan.

Our journey down the river towards Lake Ban was mostly uneventful except for the ever looming presence of the crows. As time passed more and more gathered until they formed one giant crow in the sky with some white things circling the head like a crown. Upon our arrival at Lake Ban we were blockaded by two T'skrang guard boats. They knew of our plight and were unwilling to allow us entry. Kreesta demanded to see the Shivalahala which she said was her right. This seemed to work as they took her and the Almarra troubadour to meet. They demanded we shore up and wait for the outcome.

This was the perfect opportunity for the horror to attack. I gathered up the children and non combatants and had them hide under our overturned launch boats in the hopes it would grant them some form of protection. My instincts were right and crows started gathering in the nearby trees. Only a few at first, then more and more until they all took flight in unison and formed together to create the giant crow. It was then we finally saw what the white was that formed the crown: skeletal windlings. It mocked us in the most terrifying voice I have ever heard. Just the sound of it caused some windlings to bleed from the ears. It was at this point we noticed the small boat pulling up with Kreesta and another T'skrang woman. We would later be informed that this was Shivalahala V'strimon herself. While the rest of us were frozen in fear she strode up to the monstrosity and summoned up five elementals, one of each element. She tasked us with destroying the minions while she dealt with the King of Crows.

The gnashers were every bit as horrifying as Rose described them. We found out through personal experience that they have an extra set of teeth insider their mouth that chew on you once they've bitten down. They charged in and crashed against our party. I was knocked down, but was able to continue. Poor Reyis was caught off guard and knocked unconscious immediately much like me in the previous fight. The horrific windling also attacked us. At one point one of them blinded me and tried to claw at me, but their tiny hands could hardly get through my hide armor. Shirella would swoop in and dispatch the weakened enemies for us so we could focus on the bigger threats. I say bigger threats, but V'strimon had the lion's share of work. I do not believe I will ever see such powerful magics again in my life, not even if I had an Obsidiman's lifetime.

V'strimon was able to dispatch the king of crows. When she turned to face us, she decreed the windlings were to be given sanctuary in Lake Ban. It was at this point we were able to see the extent of her injuries. She collapsed immediately after. Not even Rose could revive her. Kreesta was inconsolable. The T'skrang began to gather since the fight was over and began a funeral procession for their fallen leader. The Almarra windlings demanded they be allowed to stay by her side.

In the coming days we would learn that Shivalahala V'strimon could pass her memories down through other T'skrang. We learned this when Kreesta, looking much older and wiser, appeared before us as the new Shivalahala V'strimon. She let us know the windling would have a home in the floating city. In the end the windlings number some 183 or so individuals of their original 2000 members.... But life goes on and a life not lost is a life worth living.