AAR [2M] The Farmer in the Dell (2020/07/25 at 18:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Reyntrannin
AAR [2M] The Farmer in the Dell (2020/07/25 at 18:00 GMT)

Post by Reyntrannin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:29 am

LFG: The Farmer in the Dell
Time: 2020/07/25 at 18:00 GMT
GM: ReynTrannin
Circle: ECR 2
Difficulty: Medium

Rumor: Arnold Ziffel has been having issues with his new breed of pigs, and needs a few hardy souls to come out to his new homestead and help him get those darned oinkers set straight again.

Please reply using this format.

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] Character name
[b]Date of Last Game Played:[/b]
[b]Circle:[/b] Circle of your character
[b]Discipline:[/b] Your character's Discipline(s)
[b]Unique:[/b] What your character is bringing to the table.
[b]Downtime:[/b] Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime: [Talent] [Step including +Karma Step if appropriate] ([Rank]) ([Further Details])
Last edited by Reyntrannin on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bronzemountain

Re: LFG [2M] The Farmer in the Dell (2020/07/25 at 18:00 GMT)

Post by bronzemountain » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Name: Juniper
ECL: 1
Discipline: Shadow
Quote/Unique: "Power to the people!"
Notable Abilities: Streetwise
Downtime: Drugs, poetry slams, volunteering, romantic entanglements
Last Game Played: Never
This is a secondary character. Please prioritize primaries.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:34 pm

Name: Lazulin
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-07-14
ECR: 3
Discipline: Raider (3)
Unique: Combat and combat related accessories
Downtime:

Secondary Character

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Name: Redsun
Date of Last Game Played: Never First time
Circle: CR1
Discipline: Archer
Unique: Large
Downtime:

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:45 pm

This is a secondary character. Please prioritize primary characters.

Name: Orlam
Date of Last Game Played: Tues Jul 21
Circle: 2
Discipline: Elementalist
Unique: healing boosts, and I actually have navigation as a skill.
Downtime: Research (Skill, rating 3, step 9); +3 step available by paying 20 sp to access the great library of Throal.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:59 pm

Orlam Rolfsom, Journal Entry # 2: The Farmer in the Dell

Note to self: don't eat any pork that comes from the mountains around Sosanopa any time soon. I am quite fond of my liver, it does all kinds of wonderful things related to keeping me from dying a horrible death, and I should very much like it to not get absolutely destroyed just because some loon thinks it is a good idea to feed his hogs poison.

A poster in the market indicated a pig farmer by the name of Arnold Ziffel was looking for help. Not my first choice, but adventuring is expensive, and the pay looked good. At least it was somewhere fairly new to me. Along the way to his farm, I met Lazulin again, who was also heading there, and another Troll by the name of Redsun Thandrun, an Archer. Also joining us was an Elf Shadow who would only give "Juniper" as his name, which seems improbable. We got a chance to show our skills when we were attacked by wolves along the way; nothing too troubling, we drove them off without issues.

Once we arrived at the farm, the owner indicated that he needed us to gather some materials so that he could feed his "domesticated" (and I use that word *very* loosely) wild boars something to calm them down. Further questioning revealed a variety of unremarkable grains and vegetables that could be found around the farm... and also perhaps the most lethally poisonous mushroom of which I am aware, a variety of amanita deathcap. Needless to say, I kept a very close eye on what he offered us for dinner; fond as I am of alchemy, I am much less fond of being poisoned, and his assurances that he always thoroughly washes his hands after he brews up his toxic concoction to feed to his pigs (which presumably are intended as food at some point) were not that convincing.

The next morning, nobody had died from dinner and so we set out to collect the various ingredients over the next few days, leaving the mushrooms for last as they were both much farther away and also dangerous even to handle. I impressed upon the others the importance of being very particular in limiting contact with the mushrooms, and of washing their hands very thoroughly afterwards along the way, and proposed that we might go so far as to suspend a sack of the mushrooms from a stick that could be carried between two people to keep it from touching us.

We arrived at the area indicated by Ziffel, thanks to my navigation skills, and found that the mushrooms seemed to be surrounded by a slithering carpet of a mixture of venomous and constrictor snakes. Well, fair enough; if it was easy to gather, I can't imagine we'd be getting paid much for the job. Lazulin jumped right in, and the rest of us started pelting the snakes with everything we had, after I protected everyone with Air Armour to hopefully keep their fangs from sinking in deep enough to envenom us. They proved to be no match for us, although one briefly grabbed me, but could not get through my Wood Skin, and so we returned to the farm in good spirits about a week after we had left.

The fellow went to create his feed mixture in the alchemy lab he had in his back room (I'm not jealous, I swear!) and the next day fed it to the hogs. Unfortunately, rather than calming the boars as he had claimed, it seemed to cause them great pain and made them angry. They charged at us immediately, but fortunately a combination of Shield Willow and Air Armour kept them from causing any serious damage while we attempted to subdue them, since Ziffel assured us that they would eventually calm down. Well, they got calm as the grave, that's for certain. We knocked them out, but it turns out that feeding your pigs lethal toxins can have deadly "side effects", which should have been a surprise to no one.

Naturally, Ziffel was surprised. Seriously, who let this man have an alchemy lab? This just feels like a disaster waiting to happen. One day, he's going to be too slow getting into his reinforced door and he'll be the pig feed for his herd of toxic doomswine, which will then be let loose into the wilderness and be a plague to everyone around, I can almost feel it. According to him, something weird had happened to one of the ingredients we had gathered to make it unable to neutralize the lethality of the poison. In fairness, he doesn't seem incompetent, only insanely reckless and entirely lacking in common sense, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in assuming that his recipe normally works, and perhaps there is something odd going on up in those mountains. Apart from the dangerous loon with an alchemy lab creating poison pigs, I mean.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 am

***The intricately covered ice blue journal contains a single blue crystal on the centre, with the simple gold lettering below it 'Lazulin' ***

Page 3

War is not a state of being, it is a means to and ends. War is to protect the people and surround them with peace. Today I went to assist with a peaceful endeavor. A man named Arnold Ziffel needed assistance with his pigs, it was a fair distance from Throal, and I needed to learn more about the lands and her people so I set out to this remote farm. I happened upon three others heading in that direction. Orlam the elementalist, (he seemed to be working on his stamina) an elven fellow named Juniper who followed the path of the Shadow, and finally a large troll with a sling named Redsun who followed the path of the archer.

The party was quite adept at handling travel and the wilderness. We moved to the town of Sosanopa, a rather bustling river port where we were able to cross the river and continue on foot to our destination. Travel from Sosanopa was less frequent, so these paths were a bit rougher. This was most demonstrated by the pack of wolves that attempted to ambush us. Such beasts could not know war, they knew only survival. We were finely honed weapons, and drove the beasts off.

We finally arrived and the farmer indicated that these hogs(?) were in need of a specialized feed. He described the ingredients and Orlam became alarmed. The mushrooms for this concoction were highly dangerous and should be handled with extreme caution. The farmer re-assured us and sent us on a very long shopping journey. We travelled for many days, arriving at the location of the mushrooms last. There seemed to be a gathering of snakes on the shores of the pond where we were to find the mushrooms. Snakes do not know war, I did not wish to harm them. I attempted to leap over the snakes to retrieve the mushrooms. They still felt threatened and attacked. Positioning and tactics won the day for us. We collected he mushroom and returned to the farm after a long week and a half roaming the land.

The farmer thanked us, provided food and we awaited his completion of the special food. The reaction from the boars was not as advertised. They attempted to attack us in a drug induced rage. We carefully managed our positions and kept the beasts at bay, knocking them unconscious to preserve the farms livelihood. The farmer came to examine the beasts as they all took their last breath. He mentioned something about the concoction being tainted, and he would have to study more. It made little sense to me, but I was glad to provide the safety for him to do his work. We collected our payment and returned to the great caverns of Throal.

***A great Iced Claw adorns the bottom of the page ***

Reyntrannin

AAR [2M] The Farmer in the Dell

Post by Reyntrannin » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:32 pm

AAR

Player Rewards
Juniper: 800 LP, 75 SP, 3 TIPs, 2x Kelia's Antidote
Lazulin: 800 LP 200 SP 3 TIPs
Orlam: 800 Legend, 112.5 sp, 3 TIPs, 1 booster potion, Kelia's antidote
Redsun: 800LP, 150sp, 3 TIPs; 2 booster potions

GM Reward: Langren: 13,000 Legend, 775 sp, 3 TIP's

Alternate Reward: Consumable and Alchemy Training

Downtime actions:
Orlam: Research (Skill, rating 3, step 9); +3 step available by paying 20 sp to access the great library of Throal.

Additional Notes: The farmer Arnold Ziffel has begun researching the unexpected effects of the feed he created with the ingredients the Adepts provided.

bronzemountain

Re: AAR [2M] The Farmer in the Dell (2020/07/25 at 18:00 GMT)

Post by bronzemountain » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:28 pm

FRUSTRATED FARMER DELIVERS DEADLY DOSE TO PACIFY PUGNACIOUS PIGS

Not far from the now bustling town of Sosanopa is the farm and residence of Arnold Ziffel. Ziffel is a young Dwarf, wind-weathered and hale in the way of a Namegiver who does honest work for a living. His hands are calloused, his smile ready, his hair bleached and brittled to wiry curls by the sun. His farm is a bucolic place, far removed from the bustle of urban life or settler encroachment. It is surrounded by woods, well guarded by wolves, and serene.

But Arnold Ziffel has a secret. He is not only a farmer, but an alchemist. And in the dim shadows of the root cellar beneath his rustic farmhouse, he works with the most dangerous substances imaginable. Violent toxins and insidious brews bubble away in the cozy root cellar, beakers and flasks frothing beneath strands of garlic and onions that hang from the rough wooden beams of the ceiling. Any poison master of the Black Blades or dream weaver of the Ten Thousand Regrets gangs would be jealous of the murder cocktails brewed in this cellar.

Ziffel, however, is not an apothecary for hire. He crafts his choleric concoctions in order to tame and pacify the land - and its creatures - around him. Alchemist by night, he is still a farmer by day. This latest brew, as yet incomplete, is meant to pacify a group of boars he has recently caught and intends to breed.

He retains assistance from Throal: Orlam the Elementalist, Lazulin the Tactician, Redsun the Archer, and Juniper the Magnificent and Beautiful Hero. Ziffel requires Amanita Deathcap - perhaps the deadliest of mushrooms. It is said that to even looking at the Amanita too long can induce vomiting and incontinence.

"It is fitting that venomous treasure be guarded by venomous champions," observed Lazulin, while drawing tactical maps in his notebook. "Snakes? Snakes and poisonous mushrooms? At the same time?! I'm never eating anything ever again." Orlam was quite shaken at the free use of dangerous ingredients in what was, eventually, sure to become bacon. "You know what works well against snakes? Rocks. Rocks that you throw really hard. With a stick that has rope on it." Redsun's observation was undeniable and accurate - exactly as one would imagine from an Archer. Juniper was reluctant to speak of his own heroism, modest to a fault, despite having amazed and dazzled all onlookers with his bravery and acumen.

Arnold Ziffel will need to continue working on his recipe, however. His last batch turned his pigs into rampaging porcine murder machines that, tragically, had to be put down by the visiting Adepts. Till then, beware bacon, loyal readers!

News from the Underground - "Like Regular News, but Way Cooler!"