AAR: [ECR7][Medium] Who on this Earth, Remembers Fernsworth? (2020-07-10@10:00PM GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Shokunin
Re: AAR: [ECR7][Medium] Who on this Earth, Remembers Fernsworth? (2020-07-10@10:00PM GMT)

Post by Shokunin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:43 am

From A Loosely Tied Sheaf Of Papers Titled 'Vlolkir'

There is an airship, an airship of Thera. It is long grounded, and there are namegivers in it. Raiders and Sailors live there now, but none have heard of them for long and long. Aeronauts of Throal find me, say they are needing adepts to go to this airship they call Fernsworth. We will go on the ship, the one I sailed afore and see what there is of Fernsworth.

I leave aboard the ship with others I have seen before. We will be a fine crew to face what there is in the wilds. The ship is following the winds fast and true, one day I will have a ship and a crew to follow the sun. As we sail, there are creatures come towards us from the clouds. They come fast and take a Sailor over the rail. He will survive or not. For us on the ship we are surrounded by stony creatures with wings, named gargoyles. They are tough, their skin like Obsidiman hide. Blows slide free and they stand strong like great warriors. I take one on my own, then turn to see Norg surrounded, and go to his aid. The gargoyles may be strong but they fall when great boots are planted in their backs. My swings strike home and Crush is in good fettle.

The deck is slick with blood again and we are alone. We shout to the helm to dive for the doomed man, though if he be a Sailor he would live without us. The ship heels over and roars mightily through the cold air of mountaintops until straining mightily we right again under the falling dot. Being a crew again and in no danger we make for Fernsworth. We land and there is a thing which raises up with a crank. We crank it up and there are winds through the mountains and the thing shakes, and the one who came with us who is not an adept and I think writes on paper for the aeronauts or something falls. It is funny but she is hurt so I do not laugh.

When we come up to the ship we are greeted by another troll telling us to get inside, that it is dangerous. Finally, a good battle with witnesses, more deeds to be sung of. The others run inside and alone now I follow. Inside it is a large ship, there are rooms, there are places where people sell things they have made, and a tavern. Many here are sailors or raiders, although lowly, and many have heard my legend. We drink in their tavern through the rest of the day and tell stories and fight, I see the ship, and I believe it may be sailed again. I will have to stay and organize the people to rebuild.

Then when we wake, we hear a thing on the topside raking the planks. The ones that live here say it is the pale death and say it has come for us all. We go from the hatch to topside at a run, and see a blizzard from out of nowhere. Then in the blizzard comes a thing, large and winged, like an espagra but much larger and white. It lands and we charge. All together against one foe we strike, true and hard, and it stands strong. The thing lashes out more quickly than I have seen, many rents with its claws and its icy breath. The thing attempts to break into the vaults of my spirit but my training makes me impervious. Spell and sword are loosed against the beasts hide. The thing rampages across the deck and we are forced to chase to keep it beneath our blades. The beast makes an error and turns its back on Xeviouz. This error is punished with his sword bringing its death. A good battle, but the thing was no horror. The revelry afterward is good, but the one who writes on the paper is set to stay in Fernsworth now and she is not happy, but it will do her good and make her strong. Now I laugh.

Waijhou

Re: AAR: [ECR7][Medium] Who on this Earth, Remembers Fernsworth? (2020-07-10@10:00PM GMT)

Post by Waijhou » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:20 am

July 10, 2020

Rumor: “It has been almost a year since any adept has visited Fernsworth, the settlement that lives in a crashed airship, in the mountains west of sosanopa. Even more concerning then the lack of adept interest there, is the fact that we haven’t received a trade caravan or any type of missives from that region in over two months. Even though most of Throal has not been bothered (or even remembers it is a settlement,) the assistant to Helga Brightmore of the aeronautics club has taken notice and Helga wishes to get some adepts to help investigate.

I meet at the Aeronauts club at the desired time. I see my old friend Volkir. ALso on this adventure will be Norg, Daldorer and Reyis. We are supposed to take Helga’s assistant with us as well. We do some little bit of research on the area of the Arcadia and the founding of Arcadia as well. The next morning we meet at the Aregare, an AIR SHIP ! Once we take off the sailing is nice. But it is cold up in the air of the mountains.
AFter talking with Aleha, the assistant to Helga, it is discovered that she is related to Icarus. An adept I have adventured with previously.

Mid day we encounter a snow flurry reducing our vision. We are set upon by a gaggle of Gargoyles. 5 of them. A quick and vicious battle. We are able to prevail against the gargoyles. But, not before they had grabbed an air sailor off the deck and throw him overboard. Quickly after the battle we tell the captain about the falling sailor, the ship is turned and the rescue attempt is under way.

The sailor is recovered, and all the sailers are much nicer to our team of adepts now. They bring us drinks nad are thankful for us being there and helping protect the ship. After an hour or so we come out of the snow flurries and can see far into the distance. There we can see the tip of the mountain that the Arcadia calls home. There seems to be a blizzard that has encircled the Arcadia.

It is getting dark as night approaches. THe captain brings his ship down and it perches on a ledge along the mountain. There is a lift set up to raise people from the ground up to Acadia. Half way up is when we enter the blizzard effects. THe cage is thrashed from side to side knocking Alaria against the side and she smashes her head knocking her out. I am able to catch her before she hits the floor. We keep winching the cage up towards the Arcadia. At almost the top we hear a loud screeching sound. At the top a large troll in thick furs says hurry up inside before that thing finds you! We all rush inside.

We are met by Cinthia Dashwood and Rathgar Widearms and another person that was an elementalist. THey are apparently the 3 leaders of the city here. Greetings and pleasantries are done along with greeting rituals. We are invited into the bar to drink and rest and share stories. The bar is called the DRUNKIN SAILOR, it has 2 drinks, grog and hrog. Some of the inhabitants in the bar look like they have been recently injured. We ask about it and they tell us. A creature has built a nest right next to the air hsip they use for trading, that's why they haven't been seen. Every time they try to kill the thing they are beaten back. The blizzard is an effect from the monster. They call it the Pale Death. They say it looks like a very large mountain expagra. After some discussion and food we retire for the night to the provided lodgings in an area called The Rope.
Volkir is talking about what are the possibilities for getting the Arcadia up in the air again flying. Daldorer asks Cinthia about the founding of the city in the large air ship of Arcadia. There are about 125 people living here.

Next morning we are awoken by a loud screeching and clawing noises. The creature is right above us on the top deck. Karma rituals done we head up to the top to engage the creature. The Pale Death is waiting for us right after we get uptop. Battle ensues. The creature is wicked fast and counter attacks every time on of us attacks it. We are able to slay the beast VICTORY ! I remove the creatures head thinking it would make a great helm. The grog flows freely after we return to the common room. Helga, after a few glasses of drink, suggests that her assistant Alana will stay here at Arcadia to be her official representative. Alaia nearly faints. She wants to go home to Throal very badly. We return to throal, without Alaia.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:56 pm

From "The Skies of Barsaive", as penned by Norg, Brother of Earth and Sky, Corsair of Throal

The Aereonaut Club was asking for assistance once again and of course I was more than happy to take the chance at another trip on the Arngeir. The job turned out to be straightforward: Throal had lost contact with Fernsworth, a small settlement up in the mountains. As it was inhabited by many of the air sailing persuasion, the club was keen to restore communication.

Fernsworth itself is built inside the wreck of a Theran airship named the Arcadia, which would have drawn my interest all by itself.

Xeviouz, Vlolkir, Reys, and Daldorer also answered the call, although I think the Nethermancer regretted his choices once we took flight. From the club Helga Brightmore would join us on the trip together with her assistant, Aleya Wolfswift, Icarus's long suffering sister. Aleya took some persuasion before she acquiesced to the trip. Apparently she had never left Throal before and was quite terrified by the idea.

The trip started uneventfully, with the Arngeir finally with Throalic crew, some of the sailors seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about adepts, Vlolkir and I were curious were all these men were on the previous trip when the ship had to be manned by a moot.

Later in the day we entered a snow storm which severely limited visibility and speed, and also brought the gift of gargoyles. The first sign of an attack was the scream of a sailor being thrown overboard, before we could start taking them down. For all their toughness the gargoyles were not really a threat and we quickly dealt with them. The fight was so quick in fact that we managed to recover the sailor, who somehow survived the fall.

The voyage resumed into the strengthening storm and we managed to reach our destination before dusk. After mooring we use a mechanical contraption to lift us to the entrance level, Vlolkir and I man the winches. The wind continues to pick up and footing is treacherous, a gust pushed Aleya down and she hits her head on something but Daldorer sees to her before we get to the top.

At the top we're greeted by a rather frantic troll who shouts for as to get inside because "it" is coming. Once the gates are shut we perform standard greetings with the leadership of Fernsworth: Cinthia Dashwood, Rathgar Widearms and an Elementalist whose name I did not catch. They explain that some creature they call the Pale Death has made its nest on top of the Arcadia and attacks anyone that tries to come or go. It is also working to get inside the hull which would be the end for the settlement.

We agree to go investigate in the morning and spend the evening in Fernsworth's sole inn, a rather distressingly grim place, where they are willing to sell the grog left in the tankards at the end of the night to the next day's customers.

The night passes uneventfully until we are woken by the creature's scrabbling against the hull, a rather irritating noise, and an ominous reminder of the inevitability of death for everyone present. We make our way to the topdeck where we come face to face with the biggest Espegra I've ever seen. The ensuing fight is swift, brutal and rather one sided. Despite its size, speed and ferocity, Pale Death barely harmed us as we tore into it from all directions.

Celebration followed the fight and discussion of future trade was had. Xeviouz claimed the Pale Death's head as a trophy, Reys demanded that Icarus' ban from the inn be rescinded, and Aleya is left in Fernsworth as a liason, much to her great... joy... I'm sure those were tears of joy when we left.