AAR: [ECR 6-M]: Securing a Trade Route (2020-06-17 2330hrs GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Xzandrate
Re: AAR: [ECR 6-M]: Securing a Trade Route (2020-06-17 2330hrs GMT)

Post by Xzandrate » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:29 am

From the writings of Moe'uhane, T'skrang Illusionist, 6th Circle, Messenger Rank 1

Sandrin had been approached by his Troubadour mentor, Inspree Fablebind. She needed a favor, she wanted him to go and check on a near by settlement that had been surprisingly quiet in it's interactions with Throal. Perhaps see if he could negotiate a trade arrangement. Since Sandrin has the heart of a t'skrang and the wit of an illusionist, even though he is a human air sailor-troubadour, I gladly signed on. Sandrin had already recruited Daldorer, Jael, and Norg.

We were headed to Rawlins Crossing. Daldorer went to visit the precious woman from the land claim office. I opted not to go along. He found some limited information and we gathered our supplies and headed off. Travel wasn't terrible, as this was beginning to be well worn paths, but we let our guard slip a bit on the first day and were caught off guard by some stone lions. Daldorer was busy sharing the intricacies of proper wrist flare when tearing one's face off, so he was caught completely off guard as one of the lions pounced on him and knocked him to the ground hard. He passed out from the impact. Jael and Sandrin lept forward to deal with the remaining lions. One hit Sandrin with enough force to knock him to the ground as well, but he rolled with it and continued to try and dodge and fight. A quick Phantom Fireball dissuaded the remaining beast from moving forward, and Norg took position over Daldorer to ensure the stone lions didn't try and take a last bite if they were going to flee. The swoops of Selena hit home as Jael worked to draw the attention of the beast and we finished them all off quickly. The battle had been short but fierce, we attended to Daldorer and took some time to heal. We then continued on to where Rawlins Crossing was located, approximately five more days travel across the plains.

As we approached we became suspicious, the village seemed tended to, but at the same time abandoned. Nobody was in the fields, none of the windows were open. There wasn't even anyone on watch to greet us as we approached. Norg eventually called out and a small group appeared from a nearby house. They performed a very apathetic greeting with us, and equally as enthusiastically they advised that we should go to the far end of the village to the mill and speak to Dave. Dave turned out to be the Dave Rawlins, namesake of the settlement. The most talkative and pleasant thus far, he begrudgingly agreed to speak with us, though he seemed distracted. He invited us to his home where Sandrin explained our reasoning for being here. Dave's reaction was well outside the expected, neither standoffish nor excited. Sandrin was able to sense fear in the man, and being unsure of the source, he began demonstrating the trade routes on his map, while motioning the rest of us into action. Norg closed and guarded the door, and I stepped behind Dave and began to weave a soothing touch to release his fears. Sandrin flipped the map over and began to write questions, concerned that someone may be listening in and controlling the man. He did eventually crack, and confided in us that the village was being extorted. It took a bit more time to convince him that we would help free them from this curse. So he filled us into the full story.

It began a year hence, and ork rode up to the edge town with a lute and setup to perform. This was a welcome relief and the townspeople all gathered around. As the song began, the people were cowed and a group of mounted orks appeared over the horizon, charging into town, knocking over goods and villagers, destroying and looting things. Nobody was killed in this raid, but the troubadour let Dave and the villagers know this is how it would be from that day forward. Each month they would come for their cut, and indeed they did, like clockwork. By the grace of the Passions, the timing of their next visit was for this very night. Dave gave us as much information as he could muster without breaking down, and we set forth to lay a trap.

We used a good laden cart as bait in the middle of town where four homes created a cross roads. Out of view from the approach into town we hid hedgehog like fences between the buildings to keep the cavalry from escaping that way. Finally we setup a large cart to the side of the building that we could roll into place once they passed it, and for good measure Seleyna patrolled the air high above, with instructions from Jael to swoop down and chase the horses and riders into the trap.

The plan hinged on not being seen, and a close call came when they parked their empty cart beside the cart Norg hid within. Luckily the cloak of illusion with some over confidence on the side of our opponents ensured he was hidden. The rest of us hid in one of the homes, and once we could see them approaching Daldorer and I began to weave. I over powered a phantom fireball, and Daldorer prepped deaths head. Once they were in position it went down quickly and efficiently. Jael jumped out and dragged the troubadour from his saddle with a third arm, Sandrin assisted Norg in moving the cart into place, while I unleashed a the visage of a furious fireball upon them, knocking some from their horses. Daldorer wrapped them in a fog and invoked the fear of death into them. Their leader called out that the fires were an illusion, which made the truth far more effective after that. A serious of shouts, screams, insults, and cries later and the raiders all lay at our feet, either incapacitated or in submission.

The villagers crept from their hiding places and rejoiced. We held a great party to mark the freedom of Ralins Crossing as well as the dawn of a new year in Barsaive. All the joy that was hidden within this town burst forth that night. The next day, a jovial Dave sat and discussed plans for establishing regular trade with Throal, and listed to suggestions on fortification and protection. We returned to Throal, and I assume Inspree was satisfied with Sandrin's work, because he hasn't returned saying he needed to perform any other favours.

Xzandrate

Messenger Report

Post by Xzandrate » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:30 am

**As the magic flows across the page the words come into view**

The area encapsulated between the convergence of thee Monthingale and Serpent Rivers, Sosanopa, and the norther edge of the Servos Jungle should be considered the cautionary zone. Threats coming from any northernly or westerly direction will likely flow through these plains. Multiple listening posts suggested across this zone, will need to scout locations.

Notable Throalic entertainer dispatched mentee to establish trade with one such location. Report as follows:

Brief:
Location is open and trusting, were taken advantage of by Ork raiders. Adept group sent for trade unburdened area of this threat.

Dossier Updates:

Faction: Ork Raiders (independent)
Operating Status: Raiding group extorting settlements
Notable Actors: Ekogru Ati, Ork, Troubadour

After Action Report:
Ork raiders had been extorting potential advance post location. Adept group laid trap for raiders and executed advanced pocket strategies. Quelled resistance from raiders and captured leader.

Location is very trusting and in need of assistance with trade, fortification, and standard craft deployment. Multiple assets may be placed, or trained. Minimal investment and upkeep in desperate inhabitants will ensure loyalty.

Potential Assessment: High

Reporting Agent: Bearded Dragon

**The words vanish as the magic dissipates**

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 pm

The Adventures of Sandrin
Chapter 10 - The Terror at Rawlin's Crossing

A messenger bat arrives from Inspree for me, asking me to come to her at once at a public house in Throal. When I arrive, she’s finishing up a music set to an awestruck small crowd. She has a small matter at a settlement, Rawlin’s Crossing. They’re one of the first to head out on their own. They’ve come remarkably far in that time, an agricultural, even a working windmill. Some are looking to encourage them to trade with Throal. She tells me to go down, see what the trouble is, smooth things over. In return, she’ll give me “friend rates” for my Troubadour training. The town is Northwards. 37:07 ish, just before entering the Servos Jungle.

I gather up Jael (and his Griffon Selena), Norg, Moe'uhane, and Daldorer. A fine blend of abilities to cover any contingency.

Daldorer suggests we head to the Land Claim Office within Throal and learn more about the settlement. We get better navigation points to lead us there, which will save time. The Clerk asks for a form, but Daloder doesn’t have it. The clerk goes off to find the files, swears up a storm as they go. Eventually, they return with a binder: the land was claimed 2 months after opening, by someone named Rawlin. They filled out the proper forms.

Ambush!
Not far out of Throal, we are ambushed in a valley by 3 Stone Lions. Fortunately, most of us are not surprised by them.
The first one fails to Battle Shout us properly, due to Moe'uhanes Assuring Touch.
I run past Jael to throw Gale Cutter at a second Lion on the side of the mountain. I also laugh at the situation to put everyone at ease.
In return, Lion 2 pounces on upon me, knocking me down.
The third one pounces on Daldorer, knocking him unconscious.
Moe unleashes a Phantom Fireball on top of me, wounding and blinding all 3 lions.
Norg stands over Daldorer and hits Lion 3.

Lion 2 bites Jael to little effect.
Jael hits Lion 3. Selena swoop attacks Lion 2 and 3, wounding them.
Lion 1 hits me twice while I'm still on the ground, wounding me grievously.
Moe casts Monstrous Mantle on Jael and Norg.
Lacking the energy to jump up, I stand up.
Norg kills Lion 3.

Jael leaps over Lion 2 to hit Lion 1 in the back, killing it. Selena swoops on Lion 2, killing it.

We treat our wounds and are happy to find that Daldorer is not dead. A few hours later we continue on our way.

The rest of the trip is cautious but unremarkable. Crossing the hills and plains to Rawlings Crossing.

Rawlin's Crossing
We arrive around mid-morning of New Years' Eve. They had a harvest not long ago. We call out to the town eliciting some of the locals to poke their heads out of their homes. I quickly "read the room" as Inspree keeps calling it, and determine that we should make the first move. I offer to perform our Greeting Rituals to put them at ease. They return the ritual, but are only slightly less wary. They suggest we talk to Dave the miller (located in the windmill of course), on the other side of town. We walk through the town, watching for anything of interest. We notice that no one is walking the street and most of the shudders are closed.

An older Human steps out of the mill, greeting us, Dave Rawlins. I make a remarkable First Impression upon him and he invites us into his house nearby. They wanted to connect to the land. As he speaks, I gets in tune with Rawlins emotions, only to confirm that he is terrified of something. I continue to chat with Rawlins for a while, surreptitiously motioning to Norg to shut the door for privacy. I then offer my navigation charts to speak about trade routes, and start writing to Dave asking what is going on, why is the town scared? Moe casts Assuring Touch on Dave as well. With that final push, Rawlins finally opens up.

Flashback Scene
Rawlins explains the situation. A year ago, an ork troubadour, Ekogru, entered the town. They welcomed him in. Word spread, people gathered at the main square. Everyone took a break to go see him perform. Ekogru started to sing, and soon the entire town was terrified of him. Suddenly a group of mounted orks arrived and beat everyone up. Ekogru just stood there smiling at it all. No one was killed, but most of the town was injured. Ekogru explained that things would continue as they were, but all the surplus would be going to him and his raiders. Since then, they’ve been coming back every month for their share. They're supposed to come back tonight. He usually brings half a dozen mounted orks.

Preparing Defenses
We take stock of the town in an effort to make it defensible. It's very spread out, lots of open space, and no outer walls. They've been very lucky up till now. There are several things we can use to cobble together some defenses. After some discussion, we create barricades around a town square with the most buildings close to the windmill. We disguise a cart full of barrels as bait, with Dave Rawlins sitting on top of it. To the North and South, there are walls of spears blocking the roads. The rear will be covered by another cart that Norg will push into place.

Lastly, we tell all the townsfolk to find somewhere farther away to hide. They're not to come out until morning, and not tell us where they've gone. I may have given our enemy a little too much credit, but t

Springing the Trap
As they enter, we see that one of them is pulling their own wagon. The rest are mounted on horses. They make their way down the road in a tight group, Ekogru in the lead. As they see Dave on the wagon, they park their cart right next to Norgs cart, they don’t see Norg though. Ekogru approaches Dave and starts talking. Norg starts pushing the cart into place behind them, but has a tough time getting it started. Ekogru notices the cart before it moves all the way into place, so we spring the trap.

Jael jumps Ekogru and grapples him to the ground. Selena dives down at the group from behind, hitting one.
I leap to help Norg with the cart to close off their escape while laughing to encourage the party.
Raider 4 leaps over to our cart and strikes down at Norg, bouncing off his armor.
Raider 2 attacks Jael, missing.
Raider 6 attacks Jael, missing. He Shouts at us but fails.
Moe calls the passphrase to Jael, and casts a Desperate Phantom Fireball on four of the orks, wounding them and knocking them down. He then taunts one.
Raider 1 Shouts at Selena, scaring her a little.
Raider 3 gets up, approaches Moe and shouts uselessly at him.
Daldorer lays a Fog of Fear on top of most of the Orks (and Jael) and scares all the orks.
Raider 5 gets up and approaches Jael.
Ekogru noticed Jael unharmed by the fire and tells the Raiders that there’s an illusionist in play. Then he inspires his raiders.
Norg finishes pushing the cart into place, closing the trap around them.

I run up the street to the Raider on Moe (#3), knocking him down and stabbing with my second sword. I then distract Raider 1 on Selena.
Jael claws at Ekogru, wounding him. Selena claws viciously at the distracted Raider 1, wounding him, then flies away.
Daldorer Frightens everyone in the Fog (except Jael) and weaves a Thread while using Astral Strain on Raider 5.
Raider 4 attacks Norg, but does minimal damage.
Raider 2 bounces off Jaels armor.
Raider 1 attacks me, but I avoids.
Ekogru surrenders.
Raider 3 fails to jump up.
Moe casts True Ephemeral Bolt at Raider 3’s back, wounding him, and Taunts him.

The next morning, the townfolk emerge from their hiding places. They throw us a large New Years Party with lots of local fair. Dave sits with me to discuss setting up the Trade Route, but they’ll need some security and defenses around the town.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:35 pm

From "Notes on the world outside the kaers" as penned by Norg

After the situation in Grakor was resolved, I returned home to face a much greater foe: dearest mother and father.

To say that they were unhappy with my career choice it would be an understatement, but they were even angrier at the idea that I was going to run off to join an highland moot to become a raider. A completely preposterous idea I told them, I would rather found my own moot and have them work as official corsairs for Throal.

This I quickly realised was not the right answer and after some shouting that rivalled the days before I started on the path of the Gauntlet, I acquiesced to my parents request that if I was going to be gallivanting on airships I would do it properly and by properly they meant as part of the Throalic air navy.

This is how I found myself spending the next month or two studying for the Admiralty Board's Standard Test for Crew & Officers of Aerial Vessels, Boats, and Related Conveyances. I now wonder if that test was an early sign of Dis' influence, on Throal, but I digress.

It was thus that Sandrin found me trying to memorize the right procedures for an airship leaving dock during a thunderstorm, between and sundown and sunset, while carrying a diplomatic mission and cattle. Sandrin was looking for some assistance in a diplomatic mission to a village to the north, between the Sevros and the Serpent, which, not being "read endless regulations about the minutias of managing an airship within a sealed kaer", was significantly more appealing than my current endeavour. Furthermore I could get some actual training and justify it to the parents.

We left the next day, together with Jael, now riding a griffin, and Daldorer. The trip was mostly uneventful other than an ambush by a number of Stone Lion who took down Daldorer before we could react. After that first onslaught we took them down without too much problem, even if Sandrin took a nasty wound.

We reached the village on new year's eve and there was no one around. Eventually after some shouted greetings, a couple of people reluctantly made their way to us and we proceeded with the greeting rituals. They directed us to the windmill where we found the headsman, he seemed really cagey and worried about something and eventually Sandrin got him to talk.

There was a band of thieves led by an ork Troubadour who had been keeping the village under their thumb for almost a year and they were coming tonight to extract their tribute. We immediately offered to deal with this problem for them and planned how to best ambush the bandits.

A few hours later the bandits arrived, overconfidently fell into our trap and then we made short work of them thanks in large part to the amount of terror Daldorer instilled in them.

With the bandits removed, the village sprang to life, the tribute was used for a new year's feast, and Sandrin got the trade agreement he was looking for.

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:03 pm

One of the towns founded early in the land rush has not established trade back with Throal. Curiosity has gotten the best of us, and so we have set out to see if they have trouble bringing goods to market or sparing people to do the trip, and what we could do to help. I checked with the Throalic Land office to see if there were any details about the town, and it was registered properly.

I am told there was a brief encounter with some stone lions. All I recall is a giant paw coming for my face.

The town was stiff and cold, but prosperous. As we explored, there was a mysterious stillness about the place, in deep contrast to the usual festive flair the Thoalics have. Beyond the significant number of buildings they had, there was even a windmill. Surely there was surplus here with which to trade. Those who would speak to us directed us to the mill, where the town's founder and leader was proprietor. Sandrin was able to key in to his anxieties and convince the man to tell us what was really going on and that we were there to help.

Not long after the town had been founded, a group of Raiders had arrived and intimidated the town into giving all their surplus to his gang. His ability to bestow fear into the hearts of the townsfolk made resistance difficult, and their strength of arms made it useless. Preparations had already begun for his next supply pickup and we had a few hours to prepare. Using the town's farming carts, laden with the goods planned to be given up to the raiders, we restricted access to the town except for a few narrow lanes. As the raiders drew in, Norg, with a little help from Sandrin, blocked their rear with another cart. Now with the trap sprung, Moe and I blinded and frightened the lot of them while Jael clawed them to surrender.

The town threw a proper New Year's Party.