AAR: [5H] Mawwwwiage (2020-06-16 22:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Icarus-Wolfswift
Re: AAR: [5H] Mawwwwiage (2020-06-16 22:00 GMT)

Post by Icarus-Wolfswift » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:29 pm

*From the Journal of Icarus Wolf-Swift,*

So something strange happened, I got invited to a wedding from my friend Moe, I met him after the battle of Grakkor. He told me that it was the wedding of some noble family in Skrang culture, i don't know I am kinda an idiot when it comes to Skrang culture. All I knew was there was gonna be free booze and by the passions I was gonna be there.

A day into the trip to Sosanopa I had already scouted out the location of the beer keg strapped to the back of a mule, luckily no one bothered me for the trip up there and it was uneventful. reaching Sosanopa I got to know the cook pretty well who was a Orc, not that well because I forget his name, but we were polishing off the booze pretty well when I met him. a week into the trip we finally reached the Riverboats we were gonna be riding on for a week to travel to the Cliff City. I couldn't help but shed a tear and asked the party to move on ahead of me while I composed myself, I had never seen a ship in my life. Boarding the ship was smooth and everything was a blast I got drunk and had some serious fun. I saw this really good looking Dwarf, Orvinelious she was the quartermasters assistant. I offered her some water at one point and struck up conversation, when I asked about what she thought of the wedding and the cliff city I could tell I had struck a nerve somehow. I didn't worry tho probably just doesn't like heights. after a couple more days of partying and getting to know everyone I tried another advance a Orvin in case she was just in a bad mood the first time. I found her hanging out in the haul of boat 2 and tried flirting but she wasn't having any of it.

Then Suddenly around the second to last day we were attacked by river Skrang and they boarded our ships after using a chain to bring them to a stop. I jumped into action and it was sick. Swash was buckling, ropes were swinging, and people were saying Tally ho! it was a all out bash! I loved it. I met the captain of this group her name was Ke'Shof and she was stunning, the way she slashed me with a cutlass and called me a Bilge rat at the same time was breath taking, you gotta admire a woman that commands the respect of a whole crew like that. However it wasn't enough for her to steal my heart, she had to take my life too. Luckily I didn't actually kill her and while she was unconscious and getting carried away by the Guards I took her hat and ear ring that way she would have to cross paths with me again. Other than almost losing my one true chance at love to my own sword, it was a pretty great wedding.

Brian L

Re: AAR: [5H] Mawwwwiage (2020-06-16 22:00 GMT)

Post by Brian L » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Adventure Twelve: Mawwwwiage (06-16-2020)

People should just not ask me to parties, it never seems to go well. This one ended well enough though so that should count for something. Moe’uhane the Illusionist has some well to do family and one of them was getting married. But not just married, marrying into another “family” and all that. What it comes down to is that there was a wedding procession, and by procession I mean 30ish people (not counting the drovers and servants) heading from Thoral to the cliff city of Syrtis. There was also some kind of secret message being sent with the wedding procession. Moe gathered a few adepts to help watch the caravan and the message.

For a moderate group of people travelling on the road we managed to settle into definite social strata pretty quickly. I am just surprised that Icarus stayed down with the workers as he could have fit in with the partiers and Moe. Still we watched the groups paying a little more attention to the hired help as it is harder to slip an agent into a family who knows each other. The drovers were a mostly local group with the only real newcomer being Orveni the Asst Supply Master. She was still local, but new and an unknown. She excelled at her job which was good as her superior was a useless drunk. At this same time Rose had been spending some time with an Illusionist named Candor who was there to provide entertainment. He was oddly lackadaisical about putting his supplies away and managed to spread them throughout the general supplies.

The night before we reached Sosanopa, we found both Candor and Orveni were searching the supply stores for something. Zivilyn managed to be a ‘poor helper’ and interfered with the search. Moe went for help. We were able to keep them from finding anything that night. Moe tried to convince the wedding party to release both parties at Sosanopa. Getting rid of Candor was easy enough, but Orveni was pretty irreplaceable. She was good at her job, her boss was incompetent and only there due to family connections. I am not sure what it says when family loyalty is the only reason for keeping a drunk and an enemy agent around. There are plenty of competent people looking for work in Thoral, there were just none as competent as the spy in Sosanopa. One prominent bag belonging to Candor that Rose had noted as being part of his grand finale, did not leave with him and we were unable to find it among the supplies that were on the boats.

From Sosanopa we headed to Syrtis on boats, which meant that we changed the drovers for boatmen. There was an even greater hierarchy between the boats than there was on the road. The wedding party stayed mostly on the first, with the hangers on in the second boat. Workers were on the third. We continued to keep an eye on Orveni, and spent some time trying to lead her astray. While in Sosanopa we had had the groom's wedding garb altered to look as if there might be a message in it. Hopefully she would take the bait.

We had a fairly relaxing boat ride. We could take turns watching Orveni getting more and more harried as she searched for something. Icarus tried to help her, then he tried to seduce her. Neither his help or his seduction worked but they did serve to distract and delay her and Icarus might have a date once he gains a few more decades of experience.

Orveni and a few of the dwarves she spent time with had an insignia that was basically a circle with a triangle inside. It was identified as from the Lonely Mountain Society, a group of isolationists who wanted to keep Thoral for Thoral and I would have to assume that a grand symbolic wedding procession to anywhere other than Thoral would be offensive to them. Thus the conspiring. To this day I still have no idea what the message was or how it fit into the whole picture but that is for better minds than mine. I can accept isolationists opposing a move to expand relations with local cities.

On the day before we reached Syrtis, Orveni, having found nothing made her move to stop the procession. Rose and Icarus noticed a darkness in the river ahead and notified the ships. There was a huge magenta flash (the missing bag of Candor’s) which signaled the raising of a chain to block the river. This was Orveni’s last chance. We were able to stop the ships well enough to avoid damaging them, but we stopped the ships. There were archers on the shore and borders swimming out. For the most part we managed to keep the borders from gaining any lasting foothold on the ships. There was one notably huge T’skrang named Chonk. Most of the pirates were chased off and we continued on our way. We did have a prisoner though and he quickly confirmed that Orveni had hired them to stop the ships.

We made it to Syrtis the next day. The procession was complete. The message was delivered. And as we were not in charge, the prisoners went to Syrtis. The pirate was ransomed to his Nial, as is the custom. Orveni with no one to speak for her (pay a ransom), was left to work off her debts to society. To bad for her she is paying those debts to a non-Thoralic society.