AAR: [5H] Rumored Crash Site 2020-05-30 @17:00GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Shokunin
Re: AAR: [5H] Rumored Crash Site 2020-05-30 @17:00GMT

Post by Shokunin » Sun May 31, 2020 2:54 am

From a loosely tied stack of papers titled 'Vlolkir'

The troll that does not carry a sword, Norg wishes to join the air sailors. Why I cannot imagine. They are weak and have little to offer unless they come in numbers. Which they always do, as they are easily frightened. I am not sure how he will be as one of them, since he is an acceptable warrior for all he doesn't carry a weapon.

I join him and others to go into throal mountains, to go into the place where we once found an empty moot where none lived. The hills here are hard to climb, and to get to them means crossing the big river. T'Skrang and their boats take us, and we start up the mountain. This road I have walked before, some of the others as well. We came this way and were chased by a great worm of stone and fire. It has been long since then, and I have gained much strength. This time, rock worms come, and while we do not know that they come, when they are on the surface they are slain easily. I am pleased to see my sword take one which once had driven me off.

We go to the moot, up on the mountain, and find little, but we do see the kaer. It is broken and empty. No good thing lives in there. But what we seek is inside, so we go. As we go in, it is dark as usual. There is no great evil in here as in Bamor, but there are spawn inside. The Jehuthra see us before we see them. They are in webs and they spin their strong webs around us. We charge the Jehuthra, and are ambushed by some other creatures, they are long and have many many legs, and they have great fangs with poison. These are not creatures I like. I slay one Jehuthra and, then help to save Norg from the other. I also slay one of the many legged beasts. Some of the others are hurt, but I am hale, the great plate of crystals keeps me safe even though it may be hard to move as quickly.

We go through the kaer, to look in the rest of it. We see debris and broken things, all that you see in a kaer which failed. But, in one very far room, buried for some reason, we see a Drakkar! It is one, my magic tells me so, and it is the first one which I have seen. It is beautiful and will be fast, even buried and in a kaer this I can see. It disgusts me it will be in the hands of the air sailors who will never fly it as it was intended. Perhaps I shall have to see about getting it from them somehow.

nathaniel

Post by nathaniel » Sun May 31, 2020 9:31 pm

Words on parchment, written by Jaen'val'Jael Savre

My occasional companion Norg was offered training by an air ship club, they wanted the airship I went looking for as an apprentice.

Four of the five that went looking the first time (Myself, Sandrin, Vlolkiir, and Xeviouz) and Norg choose to try and find the ship again. We walked our way to Sosanopa, the road was in much better shape. We took a boat across the river. Once we got into the mountains things became much more interesting.

Rockworms, 2 adults and a child from their size and disposition. They ambushed us from the one direction most don't look, under foot. Myself, Sandrin as well as poor Fang were wounded by their ambush. Thankfully we dealt with these elemental creatures as Adepts do, with Fist, Claw and Blade.
After our victory we rested and then began our search. Xeviouz spotted the crash site but to our dismay no air ship. Sandrin's plan called for us to wander the hills in ever expanding circles in order to find it.

Though we did not find the boat this way Sandrin did find the ruins of a Troll Moot. Exploring in the area we found a tiny kaer. The defenses were too easy to circumvent. The kaer was now home to horror constructs, Jehuthra and some kind of giant centipede. The battle was intense as we lacked any ranged or magical support. Our lack of ranged assistance mattered not against the might of our close combat adepts. The monsters died we lived.

After searching it's depths not only did we confirm this kaer clear of horrors but we also found the ship we had been looking for. It appear that this small moot found the crashed ship and built a kaer around it. After confirming the locations with maps, charts and the stars, we returned to Throal with good news and hopefully in a few weeks air travel will be available for all.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 am

From "Notes on the world outside the kaers" as penned by Norg

After a few weeks of hanging around the Areonaut Club, I finally got my chance to prove myself to them. Over a year ago there was a rumour of a crashed airship from the Orichalcum Wars somewhere to the north. The group sent to explore had to back off when they encountered Rock Worms and now interest had built up enough to fund a new expedition, this time formed of Journeyman adepts.

I jumped at the chance, joining four of the original five to go back to seek this airship. The group was Jael, Sandrin, Vlolkir, Xeviouz, and me. Maybe not the flashiest party I had been with, but solid frontliners all around. The location was in the mountains north of the Serpent, so we made for Sosanopa, which is now looking much better than the last time I was there, and paid to be ferried across the river.

The journey to the mountains was much quicker than expected, as Sandrin found an excellent path. For once I actually took the role of lookout, while Jael took care of food. As we started to climb into the mountains we noticed the ground shifting around us and suddenly three Rock Worms attacked us, the smaller one went for Sandrin and another went for Jael, the third made the mistake of trying to take down Xeviouz and was quickly dispatched. We took care of the two remaining ones without too much trouble. Jael made some comment about these Rock Worms were not like the one that had driven them off the first time, that one had some kind of fire aura.

After the fight I had the first chance to put my physician training to the test and managed to help, it was quite gratifying to be able to contribute to the group outside of combat and cooking. After a couple of hours of rest and another two hours of walking we got to the site, some large rocks and wooden debris.

Without any better options we decided to start a systematic search around the area which extends into the next morning until Sandrin found the remains of a troll village. As we gathered to examine the area I thought back to what I know of my people's history, I believe that it was in the territory of the Lightning Fang moot. A short while later my wanderings brought me to a cave that led to a small kaer, probably where the village had taken refuge. Sadly all evidence pointed to the kaer having been breached, still I made sure to arm myself with an Improvised Trollish Trap Detector ripped from a nearby tree. While I do not have Dvarim's skills in crafting these it served well enough as we explored the ruins.

The only real danger ended up being a pair of Jehuthras and several Dread Centipedes, but we were all alert enough to notice the tell tale webs and avoid another ambush. The Jehuthras proved to be more aggravating than dangerous as they bogged us down with ice cold webbing and separated us with iron walls, the centipedes did more damage as they opportunistically targeted it us while we were dealing with the horrors. After the fight I once again tried to help people with their wounds, but I still needed more training to be truly effective.

Deeper into the kaer we came to a large chamber where an almost intact drakkar was waiting for us. Jael and Sandrin figure out that this was close to the surface and probably under a peculiar barrow mound we had seen earlier. Sandrin was also of the opinion that with sufficient maintenance this proud and beautiful ship would fly again. Just before leaving I copied down the trollish runes of the ship name for translation, since at that time I could not yet read my people's tongue.

A scholar in Throal was willing to translate the name for me: Arngeir, the wolf that chased the moon.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:44 pm

A horn sounds at our approach, and we’re greeted by guards asking for our Greeting Rituals. Jael and I take longer than the rest, but all are eventually let in. Two heads of the delegation do the ritual as well, a singer and a woodcarver.

The village has advanced since last time. The palisade is unbroken and improved, could hold off strong animals. There are three docks on the river now. Some stone structures are being built. For 5 silver each, they’ll cross the river, 25 silver each to get us to the location, more to get back. We take the ferry across, and some orange flags in order to signal a return trip.

Thanks to my navigation, we get to our location on the 2nd day after crossing the river.
Jael takes care of the supplies and camping sites well enough. Rations are holding out.
Norg keeps a lookout and we don’t run into trouble.

As we start to scale the mountains, Norg notices the earth trembling and we all prepare for the Rockworm. Three of them explode from the ground, one is smaller than the others.

Jael and I are ambushed and wounded. Xevous waits for a third one to emerge, and attacks it immediately, killing it soon after.

We rest for 2 hours afterward. Norg treats wounds. Gems and Crystals as Alternate Awards.

We move out and find the location where the crash site is supposed to be about 2 hours later. Xevious locates some rocks that are cracked as if they were crashed into. This reveals some old artifacts. Jael sets Fang to find some tracks to follow but comes up with nothing. We start to do a spiral search pattern to find more signs. Searching for the rest of the day turns up nothing. We find a place to camp.

The next day we continue our sweep. We locate the ruins of a trollmoot nearby, most likely they salvaged the ship. Norg locates a cave with a stone door on the outskirts of the moot. The door has been bashed down. Norg recognizes the symbols identifying the trollmoot village and clan (not one encountered before).

Shortly after entering, the cave becomes worked stone (dwarven construction). We head down some stairs, and find signs of kaer defenses that have been broken.

We head further in and start seeing webbing around the room. We throw things into the room, but nothing stirs. As soon as Norg starts to try to light a torch, two Jehuthra emerge from the corner and attack. Frost Webs and an Iron Web is deployed on our position. When Xevious gets around the iron web, he’s attacked by a Dread Centipede. 2 other Centipedes attack as well.

We continue through the kaer and find a room about 10 feet beneath the ground, with an airship inside of it. Apparently they buried the ship. A team needs to excavate the room and repair the ship, it could fly out of here. I take notes of what is needed for repairs and confirm the location on my maps.