AAR [2nd] Impromptu Expedition (2020-02-29 @22:30GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Aegharan
AAR [2nd] Impromptu Expedition (2020-02-29 @22:30GMT)

Post by Aegharan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:32 pm

LFG: Impromptu Expedition
Time: 2020-02-29 @20:00GMT
GM: Aeggy
Rating: 2 - Medium
Players: 3-5
Eligible Characters: 0 - 6,999 Lifetime Legend

Rumor: A group of Adepts heads out of Throal, seeking to have some fun, hunt for some meat, and scare off Bandits.

Please post your character as follows:

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] 
[b]ECR:[/b] 
[b]Discipline:[/b]
[b]Quote/Unique:[/b] 
[b]Notable Abilities:[/b]
[b]Downtime:[/b]
Note: Impromptu game on short notice, featuring Zil, Jael, Norg, and William.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: AAR [2nd] Impromptu Expedition (2020-02-29 @22:30GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Name: Norg
ECR: 2 (1000LP, Gauntlet 2)
Discipline: Gauntlet
Quote/Unique: Power is nothing without control
Notable Abilities: PUNCH!, some wilderness survival
Downtime: none
Last edited by sigfriedmcwild on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathaniel

Post by nathaniel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Name: Jael
ECR/Circle: 3
Discipline: Beastmaster
Notable Abilities: Pets, Punching and Grapples
Downtime: Animal Training Step 13 (Rank 3)
Last edited by nathaniel on Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 pm

Name: Zil
Circle / ECR: 3 / 3
Discipline / Race: Elementalist / Windling
Quote/Unique: Travel in style with a party Elementalist! Heat Food! Plant Feast! Shelter! Purify Water! Air Mattress! All the comforts of home upon the road.
Notable Abilities: Physician.
Downtime: Research rank 3, step 10 (step 13 if pay 20 sp for library access).
Item History Rank 3 (step 14 with karma).

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Name: William Carver
ECR: 2 (2375LP)
Discipline: Scout
Quote/Unique: I'll get you there and back again.
Notable Abilities: Wilderness Survival, Awareness, Navigation, Stealth. Pure Water Pot, Hattawa mount named Charlie
Downtime: Forge Weapon 2 (step 8)

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:55 am

Impromptu Expedition
Time: 2020-02-29 @22:30GMT
GM: Aeggy
Circle: 2
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Jael: 3 TIP, 800 Legend, 200 Silver, Thread Item: Leather Bracer
Norg: 3 TIP, 800 Legend, 200 Silver
William: 3 Tip, 800 Legend, 200 Silver
Zil: 3 TIP, 800 Legend, 175 Silver, 1 Kelix’s Poultice.

GM Reward:
Karl Tomsson: 1 TIP, 800 Legend, 138 Silver

Downtime Actions Available:
William: Forge Weapon 2 (step 8)
Zil: Research rank 3, step 10 (step 13 if pay 20 sp for library access).
Zil: Item History Rank 3 (step 14 with karma).
Jael: Animal Training Step 13 (Rank 3)
Researchers may spend 20 Silver for +3 Steps (the Haggle discount may lower this cost)

Further Information:
There are Blood Bees in the hills near 41.07. A new road to Sosanopa closer to the mountains/hills has inadvertently been found and cleared from bandits.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:38 am

From the Journal of Zil, windling Elementalist of the third circle. 
Nothing much has been happening, so several of us decided to go out and see what trouble we could scare up. I had been out of Throal with William Carver, Joel, and Nord before, and we decided to just wander up to Sossonopa to see what could be seen. We traveled lightly, With my new Plant Feast spell we all ate remarkably well, and with my shelter and air mattress spell, we slept comfortably as well. 

We decided to try a new route to Sossanopa through the foothills. It was pretty good traveling until we saw some huge bee's, easily two feet long. There were about 8 of them in two different varieties. One of the fatter variety (that Carver called a Drone) stung me, and I was totally paralyzed for about 10 minutes, which was not fun. We killed 6 of them, but two flew away. After a brief reset, just long enough for me to do a Fire Heal ritual and Carver to make an informed guess as to the best direction to find their hive, we set off hunting the hive. We met, and destroyed 6 more.

The next group of blood bee's we came upon were draining the last dregs of blood from a Troll. We attacked them. In addition to 4 "normal" blood bee's and two more drones, there were two soldier bee's, which were very hard to kill. This time Nord was poisoned.  We were unable to identify where the troll was from, but he did not appear dressed as any lowland troll that I have seen. He was wearing a single bracer, which Jael claimed. 

About a days travel from Sossanopa we encountered some bandits, which attacked when we refused their demand for tribute. We wiped them out and continued on to Sossanopa, who reported that they had had trouble with the bandits for some time.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:35 pm

From "Notes on the world outside the kaers" as penned by Norg

Things had been slow, so after an evening of maybe a little too much drinking, Jael, William, Zil and I decided to go look for adventure. I must admit to some regrets when I woke up with splitting headache some miles north of Throal. We decided to follow up on rumours of bandits on the road to Sausanopa and took off North.

William as usual was providing navigation and decided to try a different route, closer to the mountains, it was a good route, but a few days in we heard a buzzing sound and bees bigger than Zil popped out of the bushes. We soon found out these bees were extremely aggressive. What followed was a short fight, where we learnt that the bees are fairly easy to kill, like to suck blood, and some of them can inject paralytic poison.

While we waited for Zil to recover from the paralysis we thought that it may be a good idea to try and find the nest and remove the threat, eventually William managed to find a trail, we found several more bees we dispatched with ease. Further on, we found a large group feeding off a body, we rushed in to try and help, and were attacked by some even meaner bees.

Reflecting on that fight, I am definitely seeing my master's wisdom in recommending the heaviest armour, and very thankful to Zil for his protection spells, also being paralysed is a real mood killer and not at all enjoyable.

Once the bees were dispatched, we checked the corpse, a male troll, Jael found a bracer on the body that he decided to keep, and William looted the bees for alchemical components.

We decided to resume our trip towards Sausanopa and a few days later (about 1 day from the town) we were approached by a man asking for a toll. When pressed about on whose authority he was collecting the toll it became clear the man was a common bandit and a fight broke out. Wisely the man had brought several other bandits to ambush us, unwisely he thought he could run from a charging troll. His body crumpled after only 1 or 2 hits. By this point the others had the situation mostly under control, so I ran back towards Zil who had just trapped a bandit on a sheet of ice. I am happy to report that punching a man on a very slipper surface works as well as one would hope.

The next day we reached Sausanopa, the villagers were quite happy to hear the bandits that had been troubling them had been cleared out.

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:47 pm

My name is William Carver and I am a second circle Scout.

Life was a bit slow as of late. I was out on a night of celebration having finally purchased a Hattawa. I decided to name him Charlie. It was well after I was into my bottles for the evening then that I was approached by Zil, Jael, and Norg. They wanted to go out, I told them I would be along shortly after I had finished my meal, I most likely should have not finished the few bottles of wine that I had along with the meal though.

We decided to travel to Sosanopa to keep the road clear of bandits. I admit I was more than a little inebriated from my fine meal and thought I knew of a shortcut. We ended up in some hills the path just seemed to flow from the magic of the wine within me. It was here that we were attacked by bees of all things. These are not small tiny bees mind you, they are larger than a windling. Imagine that a stinger the size of your arm! Zil got stung, they have a paralytic poison to them. We managed to fight them off and a few of them flew away.

Like the adepts we are shout in the face of danger. We wanted to find and eliminate their nest. We searched around for a while and came upon a larger group of them. These were vicious beasts, they wounded me with a bite, I was lucky that it was only a bite. Norg was stung and the poison even brought the troll down. The poison in these creatures is nothing to joke about. We defeated the blood bees and Jael found a bracelet on the body of the dead man, we took down his description and would report the death to Throal. We then burned the body so that the horrors would not use him for their own gains. I also managed to collect some of the poison sacks with the stinger attached, we delivered them to some local alchemists.

We traveled back on the path that I had laid out to Sosanopa and we were beset upon by a man seeking fares for our passage. He was asking for an outrageous sum over 100 silver for each of us! Did this man think we adepts are made of money? We have a great many expenses after all and my coin pouch was nearly empty. Jael informed him we were hear to collect what he had collected in no short order. Then the rest of the bandits came out of the trees... a seemingly endless stream of them. Fang and Jael proved themselves once again as the bandits were no match for the pair. The rest of us did very well in the battle as well mind you. It was not long before the bandits tried to flee, it did not work out so well for them. I used my troll sling to great effect and I find that I am very fond of the weapon overall.

We told the people of Sosanopa about the encounter with the Blood Bees as well as clearing out some bandits and another way back to Throal. They did not seem to like the idea of the bees. We traveled back to Throal and the trip back was uneventful.

Finally before we parted ways I asked Jael if he would train me in animal bond, he seemed a bit reluctant but then decided to do so as it wasn't something only his discipline learned. I have a feeling he would not train me in claw shape should I wish to learn it. I completely understand, not everyone is comfortable with humans and our knack to learn wide variety of talents. I need to find more humans, I have a feeling that other humans are far more open to the teaching of other humans. I would like to learn animal training as well at some point. I am unsure if I should ask Jael for that training as well or if I should go looking for a trainer once I am ready to delve into it. I do like learning these talents as they give me a greater sense of self sufficiency and improve my ability to adapt to any role within the group as a whole.

William Carver
Human Scout, second circle.

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:29 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks WIlliam, Norg and Zil for their contributions. +40 Legend, +50 Silver