AAR: [1st Circle] Tale of Three Brothers: The Hidden (2020-02-07@23:59 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Selemas
AAR: [1st Circle] Tale of Three Brothers: The Hidden (2020-02-07@23:59 GMT)

Post by Selemas » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:31 pm

LFG: Tale of Three Brothers: The Hidden
Time: 2020-02-07@23:59 GMT
GM: Selemas
Circle: 1st Cirlce
Difficulty: Medium

Rumor: At Clear Creek Crossroads (43.12) during Brotherhood of Stone, a set of scrolls were recovered from a shrine to Chorrolis. They were badly damaged by time, but have been mostly deciphered by Salar Bazhadi.
Spoiler:
A Tale of Three Brothers
Once upon a time, before the scourge, three brothers lead their band through the world, in search of a safe place to lay down their burdens and sleep through the long night that was fast approaching. While truly, the whole band were brothers these three who lead them were something special. The Warmaster wielded a blade lined with living emerald with speed and ferocity shamed even the great cats of the jungle. The Hidden wove light and shadows with his hands as well as he wove truth and lies with his words and all saw what he wished them to see. The Muse could play his flute so sweetly that none could bear to turn away, and even the stones themselves took heed. Together these three lead their brethren through the darkening land, battling the monsters that beset them as they raced to seek shelter from the coming storm.

At last, they reached the crossroads where the river turned and silver once flowed like the water, bright and clear under the eyes of the greatest merchant of them all, Chorrolis. There, they discovered that they had been too slow. The place was long abandoned and the only word that remained told them that the doors of Throal had closed, they would need to find shelter elsewhere. At first, they despaired, they were mighty in their own right, but the coming darkness would soon swallow them all, no matter their bravery. They argued over and over what should be done. They fought, raved and railed until at last, they decided on a plan. Their companions would hide and sleep beneath the earth while the three brothers set out to find a kaer that would take them in. The Warmaster spoke first: “The trolls in the mountains are strong and brave. They will not close their doors easily, and will fight long and hard before they are shut. I will go to them, and find shelter there.” The Hidden spoke next: “If mighty Throal has closed its gates, then none may still stand by the strength of arms. Only through trickery may we be protected. I will seek out the Caves of Koilos and seek shelter in the living crystal, which shall bear my enchantments and hide us from all eyes, physical and astral.” Then the Muse spoke “You are wise to trust in strength, and you are wise to trust in trickery, but only in the combination of the two shall we find safety. In the darkest of times, we need the mightiest and most clever of allies. I know of a Dragon’s lair to the west, and I shall sing to him so beautifully that he shall grant us passage and shelter within his home, and there will we find safety through the long night.”

Each having spoken their part, the three brothers left their companions to hide and rest beneath the Clear Creek Crossroads. The three agreed that in two weeks' time they would return and, whoever had found shelter would guide the others to it. Thus agreed, the Muse set their story to paper, that it might never be forgotten, and they went their separate ways from the crossroads.
Attached to this story are a series of charts indicating the intended routes of the brothers. The first chart points the way to the living crystal mine in the Throalic mountains that the Hidden set out to find.

Please post your character as follows:

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] 
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Circle:[/b] 
[b]Discipline:[/b]
[b]Quote/Unique:[/b] 
[b]Notable Abilities:[/b]
[b]Downtime:[/b]
Max 5 players, first come first serve.
Last edited by Selemas on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BattleChad

Re: LFG: [1st Circle] Tale of Three Brothers: The Hidden (2020-02-07@23:59 GMT)

Post by BattleChad » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:44 pm

Name: Ceadda
Circle: 1
Discipline: Warrior
Quote/Unique: Great smile.
Notable Abilities: Has the power of Grayskull.
Downtime: Nothing!

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Name: Xeviouz
Circle: 2
Discipline: Warrior
Quote/Unique:
Notable Abilities: Sword & Board
Downtime: Nothing!
Last edited by Waijhou on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Name: Karl Tomsson
Circle: 2
Discipline: Archer
Quote/Unique: He's got a little rusty.
Notable Abilities: Shooting stuff
Downtime: Animal Training (rank 2 Step 7)

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Name: William Carver
Race: Human
Discipline: Scout
Quote/Unique: I will get you there and back again, with your shield or on it.
Notable Abilities: Skilled in traps, locks, map making. Talented with creatures analysis, survival, exploration and navigation.
Downtime:no downtime at the moment
Last edited by Montaugh on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:44 am

Name: Zil
Race: Windling
Discipline: Elementalist
Quote/Unique: Travel in style with a party Elementalist! Heat Food! Shelter! Purify Water! Air Mattress (pending).
Notable Abilities: Physician.
Downtime: Research rank 3, step 10 (step 13 if pay 20sp for library access).

Shokunin

Post by Shokunin » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 am

Name: Vlolkir
Race: Troll
Discipline: Skyraider
Quote/Unique: Joie de vivre
Notable Abilities: Smashing and laughing
Downtime: None

Selemas

Post by Selemas » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:21 am

AAR: Tale of Three Brothers: The Hidden
Time: 2020-02-07@23:59 GMT
GM: Selemas
Circle: 1st Circle
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Xevious: 300LP, 225 silver, 5 TIP
Zil : 300LP, 225 silver, 5 TIP
William Carver: 300LP, 225 Silver, 5 TIP
Vlolkir: 300LP, 225 Silver, 5 TIP

GM Reward:
Maksym Koval: 100LP, 75 Silver, 1 TIP

Downtime Actions Available:
Research rank 3, step 10 (step 13 if pay 20sp for library access).

Further Information:
The route to the Caves of Koilos at 47.10 have been discovered and maps of the path are now available.

The powerful (Rank 5+) earth elemental who calls herself Sif has been discovered in the caves of Koilos, along with the Obsidimen Illusionist known as The Hidden. He is bound in living crystal, and it is unclear whether or not he is still alive (or whether Sif will release him). The amulet that served as the focus for Sif's binding was recovered and delivered to the Borodai mining company, who intend to return and reactivate the mine as soon as they can.

Shokunin

Post by Shokunin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:31 am

From a roughly bound stack of loose paper titled 'Vlolkir'

I hear from others in a tavern about a crew looking to go out. They say the need strong fighters to go a dangerous route into the mountain. There is a magician, obsidiman, he hid in some special cave in the long night. We may find him, or not, I care little. I have initiated, I am strong, I am ready to see the world. I've seen the sky and now I want to see all the land too. I say I'll go with them, for some silvers or some of what we may find.

There is me, Xeviouz a human who looks strong, I think him a warrior, Carver a human who is small but says he can find the way so that will be good, I have never been far into mountains. We also have a windling called Zil, very small but a magician so should be strong.

We head out, alone just us, into the world, we as adepts. It is the best feeling I have. We follow mountains south and east out of throal and follow Carver the scout across valley and sharp rocks into mountain peaks. A few days pass, I love being so close to the sky. There are big nasty birds I will come for later to sell feathers for cloaks and talons for necklaces. We are very far away and very high up, near where old papers told us caves are when I see a bear! Big and strong it looks like a troll, some parts of it are hard like rock. It is asleep and we wise warriors surprise it. The bear fights and it is hard to hit body through all the crystal, but we crush it all together. My friends are good fighters, even the smallest one, his magic is good.

The others are hurt, so we stay a night outside of the cave. They build a fire and I climb up higher on the mountain to look around. I can't see twilight peaks, too far. I wonder when I will see them. In the morning we go in. Cave goes down and in and twists until we see light. Crystals in the floor are making light, and there are 3 smaller ones acting strange, they move crystals and pile them, but nothing happens, they dont see us, we look harder and they are dead. We go in and they still dont see us until we try to go further down into the cave. One is angry and I attack him. I am hurt badly, but still fight. Humans fighting hard, Windling using great spells, we are fighting for our lives. We manage to kill the 3 and break a spell on the cave.

All hurt we rest 2 nights outside. The windling is a good doctor and cook. We go back in, go all the way to the bottom. We meet a rock that makes itself an orc lady. We see the obsidiman in crystal. It wants us to break a necklace we found above. I don't know what we have found or what we should do. We talk and agree that we will come back later when we are stronger and smarter. We sell some living crystal and the necklace (it has some earth element in it and miners are very happy to have it).

I am sad when we walk down from the mountains. I want to be close to the sky again soon. But now I am a blooded warrior, I am spinning legend. Soon I will be even stronger and I will see much more of the outside.

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Feb 7, 2020

From the Journal of Xeviouz
Tale of Three Brothers: The Hidden
My adventuring group will consist of Zill the Windling Elementalist, William Carver the Human Scout, Volkier the Troll SkyRaider.

There are people in THroal that are willing to pay us for charts of the Mountains in the area. That is one way we can get paid. Zil does research in the Caves of Coilos. That was an ancient crystal mine before scourge. The previous owners said at one point there was a bound earth elemental there. Only accessible from Air Ship. The previous owners are willing to pay for information about the current mine status. William Carver does some legwork about the Fauna in the area of the mine. Volkier does legwork about getting us paid. Living Crystal hasn't been imported to Throal in a very long time. If we can find any and bring it back, it would be very valuable.
Before leaving I purchase some cold weather clothing for the trip.(20sp)

We leave Throal and head for the Cave. William Carver is making maps and navigating for us, doing a great job. Immediately we start climbing up into the mountains. It doesn't affect me much, But Zil and William Carver are not doing well with it.
We are following a trail and come to a cliff. There are a couple of large birds with a nest nearby and they don't seem to like us here. William Carver says they are called Khe'vak. Apparently they are carrion birds. William Carver finds the carcass of a wolf and drags it over so they can smell it. The birds don't bother us at all as we scale the cliff. We continue on our way and find the cave entrance.
Upon entering the cave we discover a large bear asleep inside. It seems to have veins of crystal growing out of its fur. THe hide of the crystal bear should be valuable. We sneak forward towards the bear and pounce on it. It is large and intimidating. We are able to dispatch the bear with no injuries.
We find a small silver amulet in the shape of a flower, with a small stone of True Earth at its center.
Spend the nights at the cave entrance, rest, eat. During the night, it sounds like pickaxes ringing off of rock, it lasts for about 2 hours, then stops.
Next morning, we do Karma Rituals, then head into the mines.
As we head into the mines, we hear static sounds like mining, but it doesn't have the rhythmic ring that we are used to from Throal. As we enter the next chamber, there are some Orcs there, mining, or at least trying to. The Orcs are knocking chunks off the walls, but the walls dont change. The Orcs pick up the chunks of rock and put them into a pile, but the pile never gets any bigger. It seems to be an illusion, William Carver sees through it first. These creatures are here, but they are long dead. We will have to end them. We find a small amount of Living Crystal in the fake pile of stones. We decide to try to walk past and leave them, we walk through the room but when we try to exit on the other side of the room the monsters try to stop us. Melee ensues. Only one creature tries to attack us. We quickly dispatched it. William Carver tries to shatter the glowing piece of Living Crystal thinking that will end these creatures. No, the opposite is true. THey get confused, then attack us. It is a hard fight, several wounds are taken but we prevail. We go back to the bear room and rest for a couple days to recover.
Then we continue on, deeper into the mine. We come to a room that shimmers in color from all the different colored crystal in it. There is a humanoid in the center of the room, Orcish, Female. She speaks to us. Tries to get us to destroy the amulet with the True Earth kernel in it. It offers to give us a large ball of True Crystal. We decide to back out of the room and leave.
We head back to Throal with the Amulet, the bear hide, the charts of the mine and the maps of the area.