AAR: T'skrang kaer on the coil river

*ARCHIVED* Sub-forum for the original West Marches Discord campaign

Moderator:etherial

BrandenV
AAR: T'skrang kaer on the coil river

Post by BrandenV » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Mission: Use the boat from the town near throat to find a tskrang kaer.
Gm: BrandenV (Branden)
Date: 9/26/17
Players:
Alari Fleetfin,Gronk Longtusk,Rir'Sha,Ceadda
Difficulty and circle rating: Circle 1-2 Hard
Player Rewards:
Alari Fleetfin: 750 LP, Traveler's Mug, 150 Sliver
Gronk Longtusk: 750 Legend, 275 Silver, Firestarter
Ceadda: 750LP, 300 Silver, 1 Booster Potion
Rir'Sha: 750LP, 325 Silver
Further Information: Successfuly named the "flagship" of the town borgans rest. Found the tskrang kaer and set up a relationship with the town. Convinced the bog gob village to start trade with the town by convincing the troubadour to be a go between.

etherial

Re: AAR: T'skrang kaer on the coil river

Post by etherial » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm

From the Court-mandated Parole log of Gronk Longtusk:

10 Sollus:
We return to Borgan's Rest to help them explore the Coil River and reopen trade with the T'Skrang of the area. Lareth asks us to convince the useless Troubadour (whose name, apparently, is Traugott) to help them negotiate with Bog Gopolis. Alari worked his Swordmaster magic to outmaneuver him into going.

We then negotiate passage toward the T'Skrang Kaer with the two boys who have built a boat, and spend some time decorating it with our various Artisan Skills. I carved a figurehead in the style of the Theran Galleon St. Maarten, while Ceadda carved the name into the prow. He did a real hatchet job of it, though, and it looks kinda like "St. Fartin'".

I tried to start negotiations with Sylvester and his crew, but my T'Skrang companions "helpfully" assisted and managed to raise their fee to 25 Silver. Alari and Ceadda covered it.

11 Sollus:
We head North, using our boat to check and see if any closer yet navigable section of the river contains sunken T'Skrang villages, but to no avail. Alari and Rir'Sha seem to recall that the T'Skrang built a structure near a bend in the river that we should keep an eye out for.

12 Sollus:
We travel South, ending our day's journey at a bend in the river where we think the T'Skrang might be. We see movement in the water, but see no fish.

I take first watch with Ceadda. The T'Skrang take second watch.

13 Sollus:
Another day south, another bend in the river, this time with Homophagic Crocodiles! They attack while the two T'Skrang are on watch, dragging Alari off the boat and under the water. Ceadda wakes up, and, naked, helps Rir'Sha fight off the one on him. I help Alari get free of his attacker, only to line up a perfect shot on the crocodile and...my arrow bounces uselessly off of it. The naked warrior falls unconscious, but we are able to defend his body, even as yet another crocodile attacks.

14 Sollus:
I spot a crazy T'Skrang on the side of the river and we go to meet him. He says
E wrote: "I am the beginning of the end, and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation, and I surround every place. What am I?"
and we discover his Name is E.

E takes us into the jungle where we see a pair of stone hands, palms out, and he reads
E wrote: I am always hungry, I must always be fed, The finger I touch, Will soon Turn red.

We touch a flaming torch to the hands and the doors open. Down the halls he leads us, through an impenetrable maze, to a wall of fire. He reads
E wrote: What is as light as a feather, but even the world’s strongest man couldn’t hold it for more than a minute?
I blow on the wall of fire, and it poofs. Yay. We begin to worry he has gotten lost and Alari convinces him to take us to the Kaer. We arrive at a wall of air now and he mumbles his way halfway through a poem, and the two T'Skrang in our group manage to suss out the rest of it:
E wrote: When young, I am sweet in the sun.
When middle-aged, I make you gay.
When old, I am valued more than ever.
We puzzle over it for a minute and I ask Alari for his bottle of wine. I take a sip as tribute then spit another mouthful onto the barrier, causing it to dissipate. He takes us through a long art gallery, filled with statuary missing bits and pieces to a dull metal wall.
E wrote: It can pierce the best armor and make swords crumble with a rub, yet for all its power It can't harm a wooden club.
We acquire some rust and apply it to the door and it crumbles to dust. The lack of elemental synergy is disturbing. At last, we arrive at a stone door with the following words:
E wrote: Three lives have I. Gentle enough to soothe the skin. Light enough to caress the sky. Hard enough to crack rocks. What am I?
I lick the door and it vanishes.

Before us likes nine cylinders, nearly identical, and a set of balances. We can only use the balances twice to find the one cylinder of different weight. Eventually we find the answer and then E goes to sleep until the fourth hour because he's old and crazy. Good thing I insisted we keep a watch. He took us to a room with a blazing hot sun and told us not to walk into the sun. So we end up napping all day instead. Crazy old coot.

Once inside, the T'Skrang of the Kaer awoke. We met with P'Tlomais, their...er...queen? And she assigned Y'Zechran to be her Ambassador to Borgan's Rest, and he looked properly perturbed at the quality of our boat. More market share for them, I guess.

Other PCs:
Ceadda, male Human Warrior
Alari Fleetfin, male T'Skrang Swordmaster
Rir'Sha, male T'Skrang Scout

NPCs:
Lareth, large Human blacksmith, leader
Traugott Leo Eichel, Human Troubadour
Slyvester, male Human Ship owner

Occupants of the Kaer:
E, T'Skrang Hermit, who we found awake and alive outside
Y'Zechran, their Ambassador
P'Tlomais, their queen

Shaalwyd

Re: AAR: T'skrang kaer on the coil river

Post by Shaalwyd » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:42 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Gronk Longtusk for his contributions.

Journal reward: 75 silver and 37 legend points.