1879: The Expendables

Tell us about your campaign!
LexiLiegh
Re: 1879: The Expendables

Post by LexiLiegh » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Andrew1879 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:06 pm
yes, I'm twelve, and am still snickering over "Morning Wood" feeling pleasant when held.
Blame Andi. She collected this elite unit!
Minion of GMAndi

Hey all, if you really enjoy these journals come check us out live or recorded. www.twitch.tv/gamemasterandij

Be warned, we are rated A+, for Andi(she trained me). We are also very educational.

Psitanium

Re: 1879: The Expendables - McFly's Journal

Post by Psitanium » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm

As the spell lady smashed Morning Wood down on the last arocknid, it became aroused and attacked. Of course, it decided to attack me. As it lunged on top of me, I dropped to the floor and fell unconscious. Passing out on the floor seems to be a common occurrence on this trip. I awoke to find Morning Wood in my face. It will take many months of therapy to get over this moment. However, the giant stick had apparently healed some of my wounds, so I would say I had mixed emotions. The arocknid that lunged at me lay motionless and I insisted that we keep it as a trophy... or body pillow. Perhaps it contains a geode, but I suppose that is future planning. We shall bring it back to a science museum or something. However, my main priority was to not die, so it was back to camp for me.

The next day, we continued our march of self-destruction. Stumbling upon a field of sarcophagi and chests, the team insisted on opening everything, despite the unfortunate circumstances we encountered previously. Before they began randomly popping off lids, I volunteered to build a rudimentary crane that would act as my aforementioned lid lifter. They consented and I began collecting rocks and boards. Well, I directed the troll to collect rocks and boards, but supervising is important. My lid lifter successfully did it’s job on all the chests and a few of the sarcophagi. It would have continued working were it not for spell lady alerting us to a magic fog rolling in. The sarcophagi then proceeded to move of their own accord and we set up a defensive position in the hallway. This march of self-destruction was living up to it’s name. By the time the new mummies on the block besieged us, I could just throw out the Honeycomb in front of one attacking the troll. It slowed the other mummies’ progress, but it did not improve their attitudes. Despite biting my ankles and generally lacking the manners of a proper undead society, we were able to thwart all eight. My ankle is slightly annoyed that we did not thwart them sooner, but things could have been much worse and likely will be before we leave this jungle.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:43 pm

The journal of Lord Bentley Bootle, Day 35 out of Caracas.    

When we were stomping the stunned Arocknids, Erika, curious as to what would happen, decided to bash one of them with the staff that she was fairly sure was a staff of healing of some sort. The staff healed the Arocknid, which promptly attacked McFly again, biting him grievously and bleeding him into unconsciousness. It took a lot more stomping to kill that one a 2nd time. While we were smashing them, we immediately noticed that despite having legs, eyes, and being homicidal, they did not have squishy insides like most bugs do. They were rocks through and through, with  no blood, guts, or anything other than rock inside them. I took several photographs, and several samples were packed up for return to London. We then returned to our camp for the rest of the day.

The next day we followed the same corridor to the end, where we levered open a door. We found three large shelves, which were partially made of wood, that had rotted away. There were three stone chests which held various goods, none particularly notable except for a fine obsidian sword. There were 8 stone sarcophagi. Everything in this room was plane and undecorated. We started opening the sarcophagi, they contained mummified corpses that had clearly been entombed alive. The corpses were not wrapped in bandages like a stereotypical mummy, just what looked like what might have been normal clothes for the time. Erica reported that with each sarcophagus we opened, the magical misma in the room increased. When we opened the third one, she reported that the magic level was flaring exceedingly high, and all 8 corpses animated and struggled to open their sarcophagi and attack us. 

We retreated to the narrow corridor at the entrance so that they could only come at us one or two at a time. I used my rifle, Smyth used his mace, McFly used his weird gun, and Erika used various things including the bow and scepter we obtained in the other room. We slew them all, then returned their remains to their sarcophagi and put the lids back on. 

LexiLiegh

Post by LexiLiegh » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:02 am

Atlas, Step Expedition
Written and Illustrated by Erica Withakay

<encrypted(14)>

A chamber containing eight plain sarcophagi was discovered with broken pottery and more chests. The only thing of note within the chests was an obsidian dagger of unknown purpose and a few other tools. Upon inspection of the sarcophagi it was realized that these subjects were not so willing in their interment.

The magic miasma from the Breech seems to spread to areas that we open, and seem to be causing mutations to objects quickly. The miasma imbued life into the ones interred in this chamber in short order.
Minion of GMAndi

Hey all, if you really enjoy these journals come check us out live or recorded. www.twitch.tv/gamemasterandij

Be warned, we are rated A+, for Andi(she trained me). We are also very educational.

Psitanium

Post by Psitanium » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:50 pm

A few more doors were still closed. While the hunter was strong-willed to open everything, the rest of the crew felt less excited. I, for one, was getting tired of almost dying horribly in a hidden temple. However, I was inclined to try one more door, as long as it was the nicest one. If nothing good lay behind that, it was time for me to pack up my brilliant inventions and return to civilization. Well, technically I suppose we are in the remnants of a civilization, but I mean one that currently boasts a theater district.

Luckily, our last expedition through a large stone door was less dire. We uncovered the art gallery, or possibly the gift shop. The photo hunter did what he did best and took pictures of the ancient writings on the wall and pillar. Spell lady and I memorized a couple of the pillars. I still have no idea why these ancient people sided with my father and his rampant disapproval of my chosen profession. Obviously they did not understand genius either. No, YOU are a purple monkey washing dishes!

Outside the temple, spell lady warned us of a giant yellow eye staring at us through the woods. We decided to wait at the temple long enough to track this monster’s path, as dealing with giant beasts was neither covered in my contract nor beneficial to my survival. This day would be spent watching a dinosaur meander around a jungle. Suddenly, I had a very interesting idea for a theme park. Come to think of it, the gift shop was already in place, so monetization was not an issue. And we already had the camera for guest portraits. Making a mental note here to return with electrical fencing so we can build “Triassic Town”. Oh, yes, this shall be a surefire means of building my fortune.

Once the morning came, I was told to lay beside a giant footprint for a photo. I was starting to wonder why we could not simply enjoy the experience of living in constant danger instead of simply recording it. This did not matter much, as the giant monster who appeared to be missing in action was actually just throwing a surprise party for us. A mad dash to a higher elevation was in order to outrun the colossal beast. I was in good company for this, as the rest of the party cared less about self-preservation than I. They were more than willing to attack and run, while I took the strategic action of run and run. Before we knew it, we were out of reach of the giant lizard’s tiny hands. Obviously this aggressive behavior was him compensating for such things. The hunter took another picture, spell lady threw another spell at it and somehow we had become the distilled essence of ourselves through the process.
Perhaps I would need to rethink Triassic Town. Who knew dinosaurs were so dangerous? Paleontologists in my social circle were always so entertaining and they deal with these creatures on a daily basis. I shall require a word with some people if they ever let me back into Ireland.

LexiLiegh

Post by LexiLiegh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Atlas, Step Expedition
Written and Illustrated by Erica Withakay
<encrypted(9)>
The last chamber explored before leaving appears to be one of legend. There were six large pillars and all four walls covered in carved glyphs<illustration(6)>. While one is certain that it is some form of written language, it remains undecipherable.

A large reptilian creature was spotted moving through the trees outside the clearing for the temple. It was determined to be a meandering path and not a patrolling path. The creature left sloppy footprints in the mud, measuring at least five feet from heel to claw. It is a lumbering creature that is easily outran by humans. The specimen measured at least forty feet in height. It is equipped with vestigial arms and a cavernous maw filled with sharp teeth. It is ones theory that this thunderous creature, one is calling Intonat, is carnivorous in nature.

{OOC: That'll teach me to make sure I select the whole of the typing before posting it}
Last edited by LexiLiegh on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minion of GMAndi

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:56 am

That's an ominous place to drop the sentence ...

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:12 am

The journal of Lord Bentley Bootle, Day 37 out of Caracas.  

After our fight with the pack of mummies, we retreated to our camp to rest through another afternoon and night while Erika recovered from the strain and wounds of combat, while the rest of us practiced. We discussed exploring the remaining doors and corridors of the pyramid, or simply going home. The others seemed to think that everything else could be left to another expedition, but I am unconvinced that the next expedition that arrives here will be British. However I acknowledge that our primary purpose of investigating the portal has been accomplished as much as it is possible for us. We decided to open one more door, and we chose the one at the top level. It lead to a room that contained 4 walls and 6 pillars all densely covered with hieroglyphics. I photographed the walls, but did not expend the plates to document the pillars. 

We then shut all the doors in the pyramid as we prepared to leave the pyramid for the final time. It was raining outside, so we rested in the final corridor for several hours until the rain stopped. We returned to the top of the pyramid and tried to spot the enormous beast that we had seen swaying the trees as it moved among them. Erika spotted it a few miles away, but near the path we intended to take out. We decided to wait until it moved away, but it seemed to be hunting in that specific area for the rest of that day. I got yet another day in of Strength training. 

The next morning we could find no sign of the beast anywhere, so decided to make a dash for the exit to the valley. After several hours of a quick march, I spotted an enormous footprint. It was three toed, clawed, and measured over 5 feet in length. I got a good photograph of it, with McFly next to it for scale. 

In the afternoon, just as we reached where the path started up the steep sides of the valley, we heard loud footsteps behind us, and turning, saw a huge dinosaur looking thing, easily 40 feet tall or more. It had the erect posture and tiny arms similar to that huge fossil of the Tyrannosaurus rex that can be seen in the British museum. It was still some distance away, so we did a fighting retreat, taking a shot, and then running up the valley walls before turning to fire again. At first I was trying to specifically target the things eyes, but eventually gave that up. The thing got one good snap at me with it's huge teeth, which fortunately missed. Then we were too high up the escarpment that it was unable to climb. I hurriedly took a  pair of photographs, one uncomfortably close up, which I hope turn out well. 

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 pm

The journal of Lord Bentley Bootle,

We made rapid progress back to Caracas. We stopped at the native village and picked up the remainder of the crocodile hides we left there for the natives to tan for us. I also obtained a lot supplies for the preservation of hides, and whatnot, and spent a few days getting our samples better preserved. We considered waiting for a keel-boat traveling upriver, but decided to get ferried across the river and marched cross country. We marched rapidly, and I often hunted or gathered in the early evening. 

Not far from the native village I spotted some Jaguar tracks, but was unable to bring it down. Thankfully about a week out of Caracas I spotted one in a tree and shot it. After taking several photographs, I took the hide and bones, and am sure my London taxidermist will make a splendid mount. 

Several days into our journey, the brains noticed that several of the items that they had identified as being magic were no longer magic. The bowstring, the scepter, and the wooden stick that had been stuck through the portal had all gone mundane. It might have been just a function of time, but they think it might also be due to distance from the pyramid. Anyway, whether it is due to time or distance, all the magic is gone now. 

In Caracas, we paid off our faithful guide with much thanks and a bonus (and got him to sign a receipt for same) and took immediate ship to Miami. In Miami I developed my photographic plates, and was relieved to find that most of them turned out adequately fine, with several very fine shots! I was dismayed to find that the Miami paper had printed retractions and was now claiming that the photo's of the flying dinosaur it had published upon our last visit were fakes! I was wondering if the powers that be might not have moved to discredit the story, except that there was simply no time for any British authority to have intervened, and see little reason why a Confederate or American authority would have bothered. 

In considering the possibility that the British government moved to discredit the story, I was moved to recall if Lord Hastings even once said anything to imply that our mission was confidential, and am relieved to recall that he did not. He was very clear that all samples collected should become government property (I am assuming and hoping he will make an exception for the Jaguar) and he several times mentioned that the expedition was to be considered both deniable and expendable, but never breathed a word about it being confidential or even discrete. Or at least he never breathed a word about those qualities to me, and if he mentioned them to any of the other expedition members, they have not mentioned it. I am sure if he wished us to keep anything about our activities confidential other than the British Governments involvement, he would have at least mentioned it. Oh well, we caught an airship from Miami to London (steerage class this time) and will be landing soon, so we shall see what Lord Hastings has to say.

*** Out of character note: In the journal I specifically do not mention that when I developed the photographic plates, that I made duplicate prints of some of them, nor that I pay the pursers assistant to post these duplicates to my parents house.

Psitanium

Post by Psitanium » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Finally, we could make the long, arduous trek back to London, by way of Carapace and My Hammy. I began work on another armor project, this time for the spell lady, who insisted I make the smallest piece of clothing known to mankind. I suggested a tasteful pair of leather bracers, made to be as fashionable with clothes as without, because we all know that will happen. Once I have a better facility, I plan on outfitting these bracers with shielding technology when pressed together. She tried to explain something about my whole process being magic, but everyone knows magic is just science you have yet to understand. Apparently, though, not everyone did know that, so here we are. So, while around the campfire, she asked me to imbue a wreath of flowers with astral sight, so I can now confirm that she did not attend Oxford. I mean, neither did I, but let’s not make this about me. The hunter gave me one of his prized photo slides, which made a much better canvas for crafting and I set to work building a new resin for this glass. She watched intensely, as if this were the first time she had seen glass. Perhaps these spirit threads she mentioned were affecting her eyesight. Perhaps it was the intoxicating fumes coming off my resin mixture. Either is a valid explanation.

Back in the village, I checked with the nice lady who gave me my pole. She assured me the original Goldblum’s Revenge was doing quite well and kept the mosquitos at bay, by which she meant the male patrons. I assured her that the pole had served me well as Goldblum’s Legacy, but that I had found a shinier staff made of gold I planned on using now, renaming it Goldbling’s Legacy, because I’m clever. Of course, she asked if she could have her pole back and, of course, I said no. While I may not be using it currently, there are always useful applications for long metal rods. Spell lady told me as much.

Back in Carapace, we endeavored to get out of Carapace as quickly as possible. Luckily we could catch the boat back to My Hammy if we hurried. Goodbye sweet continent of untold danger and disease! You shall not be missed.

Back in My Hammy, I again asked the terse fellow at the bicycle shop if I could utilize the facilities for a shiny pound. He consented under the condition they continue working in my vicinity. And so, I rolled up my sleeves and threw in the blue collar workers of Flow Rider. Well, technically, I never roll up my sleeves because I suffer sunburns standing in the shade. Also, I do not remember any of them wearing a sleeved shirt, but it’s a metaphor. Metaphors are like analogies: It’s better not to think too much about them.
At last I could finish these bracers, but creating a honeycomb shield effect would take far longer than the day I had. Still, I must say, they proved to be both functional and fashionable. Perfect for the type of person who may wear clothing or go au naturale, which I hate to say since it sounds so very French. Come to think of it, crocodile bracers would go over quite well in Paris. I could probably charge them an ungodly sum as well, assuming I say the crocodiles surrendered and were later decapitated with a guillotine. Oh yes, the Parisian mimes will give me all their baguette money for these!

Back on the airship, I sequestered myself in my cabin. Unburdened with the threat of impending doom, I could tinker with the parts I acquired on my journey. A thought passed through my brain that I could use stun technology far more effectively than I had. Perhaps I could make a sort of stunning grenade? This thought permeated in a new device I was quite pleased with, which I call the “Electric Bugaboo”. I can barely hold back my excitement at throwing this at a bipedal lizard, or whatever reptile happens to be wandering around the London Zoo.