Magical creatures in the gruv

Discussion of GMing 1879. Warning: Here there be spoilers!
Slimcreeper
Magical creatures in the gruv

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:35 pm

I was thinking back - and I’m not looking at my book - but I can’t think of any magical creatures in the Gruv. Other than spirits, that is. Is that correct? Will they show up in the Gruv book? I rather like the dinosaur/genetic monstrosity theme, but it seems like some should have a spell or two.

Andrew1879

Re: Magical creatures in the gruv

Post by Andrew1879 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:44 pm

There will be some magically active creatures in the Gruv books. We're keeping the magic level lower than that of Earthdawn, so Earth will have a few magically active creatures, and the Gruv will have more, but none will be on the level of Earthdawn's more serious creatures.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue May 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Hmm, that mean spirits need less magic than other magical entities. Interesting!

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:21 pm

I don't quite see how you get that. Spirits still occur in the same Force Ratings as Earthdawn, partly because they're astral entities and the greater ones draw power from Elsewhere. We're looking at physical creatures having lower power levels, magically speaking, than Earthdawn's, and being less frequent in terms of creatures with magical abilities. This will shift as Earth passes the Gruv in raw mana level, but that's not going to happen for many years game time.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed May 02, 2018 10:17 pm

It just seems like the spirits are showing up before other creatures, and the shamans in the Gruv have a long tradition of working with spirits, but there aren't really many other magical entities. Sorry, I jumped a couple of assumptions in my head without sharing them.

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:30 pm

OK. The spirits are there in the books because the shamans work with them, and they're necessary for the Profession. The magically active creatures can show up in the Bestiary chapters in later books without causing problems for game playability.

Weer1981

Post by Weer1981 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:52 am

I'm curious to know if the author has any plans to incorporate magical creatures into the Gruv book. It would be exciting to see how these creatures could further enrich the world-building soccer skills world cup and provide additional avenues for storytelling.

saxdefinitely

Post by saxdefinitely » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:36 am

Yes, you're correct. In the Gruv setting, magical creatures such as spirits are prevalent, but traditional mythical creatures like dragons, unicorns, and others are not typically found. However, it's possible for the Gruv book to introduce new magical creatures or variations on existing ones that fit the theme of the setting. If you're interested in the dinosaur/genetic monstrosity theme, there could scratch geometry dash certainly be creatures with magical abilities or connections to mystical forces introduced in the Gruv book.

polinkuer12

Post by polinkuer12 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:24 am

In Quick Draw , players are given a random word or phrase to draw within a limited time frame, adding an element of pressure and excitement to the gameplay.