Professional Abilities (Journalist)

Information and discussion for players of the game. No spoilers here please!
Slimcreeper
Professional Abilities (Journalist)

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Am I right to understand that professional characters (PCs, whether PC PCs or NPC PCs) get all of their abilities at rank 1? But the Journalist can't Make the Headlines until she hits Journeyman Tier and gets Impressive Display? Then

Also, I really like the chatelaines, but are they only (typically) for female characters?

Lovelaces are not in the book, right? I'm not crazy?

I'll be back with more questions, I'm sure.

Andrew1879

Re: Professional Abilities (Journalist)

Post by Andrew1879 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Professional Abilities are not gained until Journeyman Tier for any Profession. Sorry, we'll make that more clear in a future edition, and add it to the Errata.

Anybody who wants to can wear a chatelaine. They're traditionally a feminine accessory, because trousers and belts have pockets and pouches, whereas skirts and dresses don't (except for the hidden pockets under a skirt, that are actually pouches tied on).

Lovelaces are a Variant of the Byron and will be in the Players Companion, along with the rules for Variant Professions and building new Professions.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I would totally play a male character that carries a purse, but I want to know that's what's going on.

For the income, is that before or after living expenses such as room and board? If you are a noble, should you budget and design your household out of your income, or is that your personal allowance?

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:17 pm

Income is before expenses. Yes, being an aristo is expensive. You only have so much cash, and yet you must maintain a proper household, keep the servants paid, put on the occasional party. Small wonder that the Aristocrat turns to adventuring as a way of maybe bringing in a bit of extra dosh. Managing your lands, if you have any, so that they produce more income is critical, as is seeing to your business concerns and investments. All of which gives the GM more to bedevil the player with.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Does the aristocrat need to adventure with fellow upper-crusters to avoid loss of social standing?

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Not necessarily, but see the rules on Scandal on p164. It's all a matter of what delightful outrages Society decides to find amusing and what they find shocking. Haring off with a few ne'er-do-wells to set right an injustice could actually be seen as charity, although of a rather audacious sort. Hiring some dubious sorts to help claim a great treasure for the Empire, well, sometimes one must get one's hands dirty. Consorting with Prometheans, now, well, that's just Not Done, the military has a special branch for that, old sport, should have left well enough alone.