Legends of Barsaive: Overview

Discussion of Living Earthdawn. Adventures, game mastering, and comments. Caution, there may be spoilers!
Tanthalas
Legends of Barsaive: Overview

Post by Tanthalas » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Hello, everyone! For those of you that don't know, I'm Kyle, one of the lead writers for Legends of Barsaive and I've been working closely with a number of people at FASA to get the Legends of Barsaive content out and hitting tables at conventions. We all can thank Bogie for the shiny new site, and with the new site, I feel like I can finally make a few announcements about Legends of Barsaive, and get the discussions rolling.

Digital Releases
The current hope is to get out around four adventures per year for release on the web. The exact details of this has yet to be fully ironed out, and I will update this post when I have something more concrete to say about the digital releases.

Open Play
While GMs only have access to things that have been released, the FEC will be running both released and unreleased adventures at Conventions and other gaming events. This spiffy new website has a 'Play Our Games' subheading that lists conventions and locations where we intend to make an appearance. Hopefully I will be organized enough to post more specific details about what is being run here on the forums as well. For now, most of our team is based out of Chicagoland, so that is the region where most of the hosted Legends of Barsaive events will occur. If that isn't your geographic location, sorry! But maybe someone in your neighborhood will step up to join the FEC, a process also listed on the 'Play Our Games' page. I'm not in charge of the recruiting, but I've been running conventions under the FEC for a few years now and it has helped me get out to a lot more cons than I used to attend.

Creating Characters
Creating a character for Legends of Barsaive is currently really simple and follows the rules as they are presented in the Player's Guide, there is currently nothing off-limits as far as published Disciplines or Talents go. If you plan on attending Open Play sessions, you can look for LoB-100: Masks of Fear, as that session will feature two hours of character creation and rules introductions. If you wish to go it alone and jump straight into later Legend of Barsaive adventures with your own character, the Legends of Barsaive: Characters book is available for free on the e-shop to set you up with some quick start rules.

Main Adventures
Currently, all of the adventures in our pipeline can potentially be a character's first adventure. If you show up to any session without a character, pre-generated options will be provided for you, and you can transfer over any Legend Points and Silver your pre-gen earns onto a customized character at a later date if you wish. Basically, what I'm saying is, feel free to jump right in with no knowledge to see if this campaign is for you!

Campaigning
If you plan to play in many sessions of Legends of Barsaive games, there is also a Haven guidebook available for free at the e-shop that lists the key figures of Haven as well as the area's updated political situation and the threats that the village faces, both from within and without. For now, the plan is to have all of the adventures focus on the village of Haven and the surrounding environment, so this book could be very helpful in setting the stage for any given adventure. The book also lists a few special rules for joining an Adventuring Company and purchasing Common Threat Items.

Characters are not allowed to go on the same adventure and earn its rewards more than once, so always keep an eye out on which events are geting released/being played and when.

Discussions & Support
If there are any further questions or clarifications, feel free to post them as a reply here, so that we can try to keep all of the information in one place. If you have comments, criticisms, or witticisms about the adventures, feel free to post them or PM them my way. If you wish to discuss the specifics of given adventures, please be mindful of spoilers for other forum users who may not have yet played that adventure, and clearly list which adventures you wish to discuss spoilers for. As adventures get released digitally I intend to curate threads specifically for discussing the adventures and any potential issues that may be uncovered.

Thanks for reading! I hope to see ya'll at the table!
Legends of Barsaive Guru

Nominally Knowledgeable

Marzhin

Re: Legends of Barsaive: Overview

Post by Marzhin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Many thanks for the recap, all is clear now :)
A new campaign for Earthdawn is always exciting news as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to return to Parlainth.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Jexel

Post by Jexel » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:46 pm

This sounds great and I am very much looking forward to it. I am part of a group of old college friends that have picked up the torch again. Unfortunately, being spread out over half a dozen states makes virtual table tops the way to go.

I have a request that you provide maps that can easily be uploaded and used in Roll 20 and Fantasy Grounds. Tokens would be a bonus as well. I would be willing to pay extra for this feature as an add-on, hopefully others would be as well.

Thanks again,
Jexel

Tanthalas

Post by Tanthalas » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback! The Roll20 compatability and accessories would be a call for the business side of this, so I'm sure Metaxes will keep the suggestion in mind. I should really look more closely into those applications, I've gamed over Skype a few times, but otherwise it has always just been an 'in-person' activity for me.
Legends of Barsaive Guru

Nominally Knowledgeable

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:51 am

Speaking of Roll20. Earthdawn could use some character sheets in there. I have my own macros, but they are fairly easy. It is something FASA could look and develop :)

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:41 pm

Could be interesting. If I get a chance I will poke around to see what level of work would be required to get something online there.
Todd Bogenrief
Noble Armada Line Developer, U18 Rules Guru

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Bogie wrote:Could be interesting. If I get a chance I will poke around to see what level of work would be required to get something online there.
There is interest!
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:16 pm

The fine folks at Earthdawn.fr wrote a guide to create a Step System Table for roll20.
It's in French, but you should be able to get the general idea.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

kyin

Post by kyin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for the ads Marzhin. I'm working on more articles and a "Step Système Light" to easily bring your games into Roll20 (or other VTT).

I started to think about a translation, too..

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:36 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was any news regarding the Legends of Barsaive?

Cheers :)
(Groucho Marx)