Gorgon (from the ED4 companion): Petrifying gaze. Errata needed?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
ChrisDDickey
Gorgon (from the ED4 companion): Petrifying gaze. Errata needed?

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:01 am

I am very confused by the wording of this power. I suspect that important details got left off.
Petrifying Gaze: Targets reduced to their Death Rating by the gorgon’s gaze attack are immediately turned to stone. Targets reduced to their Unconsciousness Rating by the gorgon’s gaze attack slowly turn to stone, taking 2 damage each round until they are reduced to their Death Rating, at which point they turn to stone. Armor does not protect against this damage. If the target’s current damage is restored above their Unconsciousness Rating, this power stops.
First off, it is never stated anywhere that this is an attack test that targets MD. I assume this is the case? It seems obvious, but usually it is stated and this time it is not.
Second off, it has that long bit about what happens when the gaze attack leaves the target between their Unconsciousness Rating and their Death rating. The middle of the three sentences says that Armor does not protect against this damage. I assume that this phrase only apples to the "2 damage each round"? And that Mystic Armor applies to the main gaze attack? Because usually this is explicitly stated and the only statement about armor is the one where the preceding and succeeding sentences seem to only apply to the 2 damage per round, but an argument could be made that no armor applies to the whole gaze attack.

So it seems to me that it ought to have a statement that this power is an attack that targets MD, that MA protects, and maybe a range (Line of Sight? some specific number of yards)? What about extra successes? Seems to me like all that standard information got left out.

Third is a tactics question. The text says "petrify those who catch their gaze" and "Through direct eye contact, they can channel ...", but it also clearly says that the Gorgon itself is actually blind. So does this mean that one can simply close ones eyes and accept a total blindness penalty (and maybe a blindsided penalty) to become effectively immune to this attack? Considering the horrible bite and poison and grapple abilities this creature has, I don't know if one really wants to be blind to it's other attacks, but I was wondering.

etherial

Re: Gorgon (from the ED4 companion): Petrifying gaze. Errata needed?

Post by etherial » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:01 am
I am very confused by the wording of this power. I suspect that important details got left off.
Petrifying Gaze: Targets reduced to their Death Rating by the gorgon’s gaze attack are immediately turned to stone. Targets reduced to their Unconsciousness Rating by the gorgon’s gaze attack slowly turn to stone, taking 2 damage each round until they are reduced to their Death Rating, at which point they turn to stone. Armor does not protect against this damage. If the target’s current damage is restored above their Unconsciousness Rating, this power stops.
First off, it is never stated anywhere that this is an attack test that targets MD. I assume this is the case? It seems obvious, but usually it is stated and this time it is not.
Agreed. Gaze should have been listed as a Creature Power, not under Attack Actions.
ChrisDDickey wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:01 am
Third is a tactics question. The text says "petrify those who catch their gaze" and "Through direct eye contact, they can channel ...", but it also clearly says that the Gorgon itself is actually blind. So does this mean that one can simply close ones eyes and accept a total blindness penalty (and maybe a blindsided penalty) to become effectively immune to this attack? Considering the horrible bite and poison and grapple abilities this creature has, I don't know if one really wants to be blind to it's other attacks, but I was wondering.
Perseus defeated Medusa by looking at the reflection in his shield, so Imma go with the expected tactic is to take a Partial Blindness Penalty by only looking at it indirectly.

Bonhumm

Re: Gorgon (from the ED4 companion): Petrifying gaze. Errata needed?

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:19 pm

etherial wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm
Perseus defeated Medusa by looking at the reflection in his shield, so Imma go with the expected tactic is to take a Partial Blindness Penalty by only looking at it indirectly.

Didnt work so well for Hermione.