Earthdawn Companion?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Kosmit
Re: Earthdawn Companion?

Post by Kosmit » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Ok, glanced through the book and the first impression is awesomeness!

I will try to work with Google sheet we'd been using for the last couple of years to provide more detailed feedback.

As much as I am happy about it, I want it to be the best version of itself so I will complain a lot ;)

First one goes to index which is a bit odd with some things categorized and some straight put into alphabetical order. For example Elemental creatures are one category and so should be others like creatures, talents, knacks, items, masks and then put into alphabetical order.

First impression is great so I have to say it was worth waiting!

gortatrien

Post by gortatrien » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 am

I like what I've seen so far, but did I miss an announcement about there being no spells in the book? I see disciplines, talents, talent knacks, extensive rules on enchanting and lots of thread items, but no Warden or Master spells. Are all of the the high circle spells being moved to the Mystic Emporium book?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Yeah, higher-Circle spells aren't in the Companion (and honestly, weren't really planned for it). They are slated for the Emporium.

Part of the issue was, quite frankly, we need to figure out what high-Circle spells should do. You can make them larger, more powerful, farther-ranged variants of earlier spells... but now you can use extra threads for that. It kind of shook up the design space a bit, and we've been turning our brain space towards that now that the design work on Questors is done.*

So the Emporium should have high-Circle spells, and we're also planning on ED4 updates of some spells from prior editions.

* Yes, Questors is done and the manuscript turned in. I'll be talking about that one soon. I'm really excited about it.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:38 pm

I'd be okay will all master-level spells being rituals and never really fitting into a combat sequence. They should be like biblical events, with a real costs and consequences.

gortatrien

Post by gortatrien » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks for the info about the spells.

Excited to see the Questors book too!

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm really liking the Companion book preview. There are some Knacks, for example, that I really want my characters to have. Also loving the Warden & Master stuff, even if it will be forever before I get to use it. :-D

Congrats on the Questors book leaving manuscript stage! Looking forward to seeing it!

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Any (even approximated) idea when the book will be available officially for us losers who didn't heard about that 4th ED Kickstarter before it was too late (hell, I didn't even knew there was a 3rd ED back then).

Thank you :)

Spader

Post by Spader » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:38 pm
I'd be okay will all master-level spells being rituals and never really fitting into a combat sequence. They should be like biblical events, with a real costs and consequences.
I second that.

For the companion: I noticed there's knack to make poisons. Is there a reason why there is none to make potions?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:23 pm

Spader wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:55 pm
For the companion: I noticed there's knack to make poisons. Is there a reason why there is none to make potions?
Primarily, the "Craft Poison" knack is a way to allow Thieves (and Scouts) who might be so inclined to make poisons (and only poisons) without needing to invest in the Alchemy skill. That particular aspect of alchemy makes sense for those types of character, so that option is provided.

If you want to make a knack that does just potions, you can. It's just not something we felt was needed for this book -- most players who are interested in potion brewing pick up the alchemy skill anyway.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:15 am

Sorry but I need to get this off my chest so I'm going to leave this here.

I love Earthdawn. I remember walking into my FLGS, buying 1st edition back in 1993 and seeing all those magic cards and thinking 'Wow!' For me, Barsaive is a most interesting land and it feels magical. It's just brilliant. But...

I could put up with having to buy 2 books just so I could get my character to 15th Circle (I hope this trend ends and they have one book to 15th Circle and perhaps a separate book with the setting info if it can't be crammed in). But now it looks like I have to buy 3 separate books if I want my spellcaster to get to 15th Circle and have access to all spells available to him?

Earthdawn is my favourite rpg bar none - but this just killed it for me. I can't justify buying 3 books just so I can have full access to my character (let alone the expense). As far as I'm concerned, that information could and should all be in the core rulebook.

Hopefully, this business model is changed for future editions. Hopefully.

Until then, happy gaming to one and all.

EDIT: Just want to reiterate that I only posted the above because I'm gutted. I wanted to air my grievances. I guess if I didn't care I wouldn't have posted.