Fourth Edition Errata, Clarifications, and FAQs

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
lanir
Re: Fourth Edition Errata, Clarifications, and FAQs

Post by lanir » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:40 pm

The example for Reserved actions on p376 of the Player's Guide seems to have the declaration coming after initiative. It's minor but since many other RPGs don't have an analog to the declaration phase it might be worth a note.

I'm also wondering what happens to a reserved action that isn't triggered during a round. Do they just lose that action and roll initiative for the next round or is there some connection with the previous round similar to delayed actions? The implication seems to be they just lose it. This would mean that a slower character is helpless against attack and move tactics until they get a lucky break on initiative rolls.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Declarations happen before initiative and mostly only matter if you're using a combat option. The guide specifically states that. But you aren't declaring a specific action, only a general class of action. And I don't think it should matter if you change your mind.

Reserving your action is something you actually choose to do on your turn. You get to your point in the initiative order and decide you'll hold your action until that Windling swoops close in. The example uses the word "declare", but I'm pretty sure that's just a common use of the term, not actually done during the declaration phase.

The rest of your question is an excellent point, and I would rule that they work similarly to delayed actions, but the book doesn't seem to have a say on that. Need a dev to chime in with intent.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

etherial

Post by etherial » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Tattered Rags wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 pm
Declarations happen before initiative and mostly only matter if you're using a combat option. The guide specifically states that. But you aren't declaring a specific action, only a general class of action. And I don't think it should matter if you change your mind.

Reserving your action is something you actually choose to do on your turn. You get to your point in the initiative order and decide you'll hold your action until that Windling swoops close in. The example uses the word "declare", but I'm pretty sure that's just a common use of the term, not actually done during the declaration phase.

The rest of your question is an excellent point, and I would rule that they work similarly to delayed actions, but the book doesn't seem to have a say on that. Need a dev to chime in with intent.
IMB, a Reserved Action has -2 Steps but interrupts the opponent's Action. A Held Action just takes your Turn after the opponent's Turn. So, if I beat an Opponent's Initiative and I Reserve a Melee Action and they Move into Range, I can swing at them (at -2 Steps) *before* they can swing at me. OTOH, if I Hold my Action, I can do anything I want *after* they swing at me.

In answer to the question about what happens if my Reserved Action never gets triggered, I let players continue to Reserve it into the next round (effectively going on Infinite Initiative) or choose to let it go and Roll with everyone else.

Grimlakin

Post by Grimlakin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 pm

I have a question on the Shield Bash Errata.

There are three different versions.

An older original version has the text:
The adept bashes an opponent by making an attack in melee combat using his
shield as a weapon. If the adept makes a successful close combat Attack test, he may
make a Shield Bash test as a Damage test, with Physical Armor reducing the result.
The target of the attack makes a Knockdown test (see p. 383) using the damage dealt
as the Difficulty Number.

The errata states:
This talent is not compatible with Second Weapon.

And the most current version of the book that I received as a gift states:
The Adept May use his Shield as a Melee Weapon. After a successful close combat attack with Melee Weapons or a similar talent or skill , the adept may use Shield Bash for the Damage Test, with Physical Armor reducing the result. The target of the attack makes a Knockdown test (see p.238) using the damage dealt as the Difficulty Number.

So my question is... does the Errata still apply to the newer text or is it written with the newer text in mind. And how can I tell which edition of the book I'm using?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 pm

Grimlakin wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 pm
I have a question on the Shield Bash Errata.

There are three different versions.

An older original version has the text:
The adept bashes an opponent by making an attack in melee combat using his
shield as a weapon. If the adept makes a successful close combat Attack test, he may
make a Shield Bash test as a Damage test, with Physical Armor reducing the result.
The target of the attack makes a Knockdown test (see p. 383) using the damage dealt
as the Difficulty Number.

The errata states:
This talent is not compatible with Second Weapon.

And the most current version of the book that I received as a gift states:
The Adept May use his Shield as a Melee Weapon. After a successful close combat attack with Melee Weapons or a similar talent or skill , the adept may use Shield Bash for the Damage Test, with Physical Armor reducing the result. The target of the attack makes a Knockdown test (see p.238) using the damage dealt as the Difficulty Number.

So my question is... does the Errata still apply to the newer text or is it written with the newer text in mind. And how can I tell which edition of the book I'm using?
I'm not sure where the first example you mention comes from, but the errata applies to the most current version. The rules say "a similar talent or skill," which Second Weapon is generally considered to be (since it allows you to make an attack test with a weapon in your off-hand, as Melee Weapons allows an attack with your main hand).

You can tell which version you're using by looking at the end of the credits on page 2: It's listed as "Version:"

If you have the print book, there has only been one version so far.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Grimlakin

Post by Grimlakin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Now that is interesting. Both list themselves as first printing, March 2015 but there are differences. How very strange is that.

Thank you for the response.

If you wanted to see that PDF I am sure that could be arranged. ;)

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:02 am

Do they both have all the art and such in it? There was a pre-art layout proof that was sent out and some of the text was changed between that and the original version as well.

Other than that... I'm not sure what's going on.

Grimlakin

Post by Grimlakin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 pm

I can only compare digital and Physical.. the digital one has several pages of color art THEN starts with the black and white pages for the rest of it.

It's interesting the subtle differences. I expect this is an early version. I'll trash it and stick with my physical then as I know the eratta is based on that content.

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 am

Has anyone compiled the latest errata into a file?

Can we expect a second print run with updated errata? That would be cool

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:49 pm

The Errata & Clarifications document can be found here. It is updated periodically (last update was just a couple weeks ago).

As for a new print run... when we actually need to do a new print run, we'll see what errata can be included (and the PDF would be updated at the same time).