[Moved] Noble Armada

Discussion on the Noble Armada game line, errata, and feedback not related to miniatures.
Bogie

[Moved] Noble Armada

Postby Bogie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 am

Moved from the Fading Suns section.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Antra

Re: [Moved] Noble Armada

Postby Antra » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:16 am

Hey folks, please forgive me if my information is out of date (haven't touched FS since 1ED, and NA for almost as long), but having read Nerroth's previous post. It would seem to me that this collaboration to produce a new NA would be a perfect place to create a companion book for both FS and NA covering the Star Crusades and Lost Worlds material.

This would allow for the Vuldrok, Kurga, Vau, and other powers outside the Known Worlds to be explored in greater detail for the RPG while also focusing on their statistics and ships for the minis game. I would even say that the model used by FASA for it's House books during the Battletech era provides a perfect proof of concept. Plenty of RPG material, setting fluff, and hard stats for the mini game.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:33 am

Personally I agree with this, although it is worth remembering that it is still very early days NA-wise. But doing companion books for NA and FS (not dual system, because they tend to attract a lot of loathing, but instead separate books that "click together") is a good idea.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
FASA Games Inc. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
DramaScape (numerous projects)

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 am

Well we do plan on integrating the game lines as much as possible so that we have crossover events in both the RPG and NA stuff. One thing that I would like to do someday is go back to the old school FASA days and run NA games at conventions over the course of a year in and summarize the results into a campaign module / storyline / adventure so that people playing the miniatures game at the conventions actually can effect the story line of an adventure.
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Antra

Postby Antra » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:10 am

Two linked books would work very well as long as their publish release coincide. I think it would put people off if, for example, the NA Kurga book came out and then players had to wait a few months for the FS link book. Also size and cost of such books would be a concern I would suspect.

I know dual system books get a lot of backlash and loathing, but it is something that FASA has approached before with other systems quite successfully. Again I point to previous products that FASA has made in the past (Battletech, Crimson Skies, Renegade Legion/Legionnaire), where dual system books were used.

I think it boils down to balancing the material. If the new NA is being designed to work hand in hand with FSR then any NA material put into a book would be useful to a RPG player and a Mini player. You can than provide small sidebars with rules, beneficies/afflictions, and so forth for FS. Not only would it consolidate all subject matter for a given faction into one book for players of both games, but I would suspect that it would cut down on production time, production cost, and ramp up to get the product out.

I'm really excited getting back into FS and NA as they were two of the first games I cut my teeth on during my early gaming career and inspired me to write material of my own.

Antra

Postby Antra » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:11 am

Colonel Bogie wrote:Well we do plan on integrating the game lines as much as possible so that we have crossover events in both the RPG and NA stuff. One thing that I would like to do someday is go back to the old school FASA days and run NA games at conventions over the course of a year in and summarize the results into a campaign module / storyline / adventure so that people playing the miniatures game at the conventions actually can effect the story line of an adventure.

Now that brings back memories. I remember many a battle fought over the FASA tables and loved reading about the outcome that players were actually able to effect.

Nerroth

Postby Nerroth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Antra wrote:Hey folks, please forgive me if my information is out of date (haven't touched FS since 1ED, and NA for almost as long), but having read Nerroth's previous post. It would seem to me that this collaboration to produce a new NA would be a perfect place to create a companion book for both FS and NA covering the Star Crusades and Lost Worlds material.

This would allow for the Vuldrok, Kurga, Vau, and other powers outside the Known Worlds to be explored in greater detail for the RPG while also focusing on their statistics and ships for the minis game. I would even say that the model used by FASA for it's House books during the Battletech era provides a perfect proof of concept. Plenty of RPG material, setting fluff, and hard stats for the mini game.

Catalyst do something similar for the plot and setting books in BattleTech in the present day. While there are separate rule and companion books for Total Warfare (i.e. for "classic" BT), the A Time of War RPG, and the new Alpha Strike product line, the setting and story books come with RPG data and BT Record Sheets for units featured therein (while equivalent Unit Cards for AS eventually show up on the Master Unit List website).

I would prefer the Unit Cards be featured in future source books directly, but I can live with it so long as the MUL is updated regularly.

Colonel Bogie wrote:Well we do plan on integrating the game lines as much as possible so that we have crossover events in both the RPG and NA stuff. One thing that I would like to do someday is go back to the old school FASA days and run NA games at conventions over the course of a year in and summarize the results into a campaign module / storyline / adventure so that people playing the miniatures game at the conventions actually can effect the story line of an adventure.

Catalyst have something similar going on there, too. Last year, they held a "Fall of Terra" event at GenCon, where a major conflict between the Republic of the Sphere and the Wolf Empire was played out over several days. The results (apparently the Wolves came out just barely ahead) will be accounted for in the forthcoming IlClan plot sourcebook.

But it has been noted that the GenCon events won't be allowed to wholly re-direct the future history of BT as being mapped out by CGL. The potential outcomes of the GenCon battles are in a "controlled environment", so to speak.

To go back to FS/NA, integrating the plot and story books in a similar manner may be interesting, but it may be an open question as to where to draw the line between those files (which would be fertile ground for crossover material) and more "game mechanic-ey" books and expansions (which may better suit a focus on one game system over another).

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Colonel Bogie wrote: One thing that I would like to do someday is go back to the old school FASA days and run NA games at conventions over the course of a year in and summarize the results into a campaign module / storyline / adventure so that people playing the miniatures game at the conventions actually can effect the story line of an adventure.

I must admit I am quite spectical to this, seeing how (IMHO) Legends of the Five Rings were absolutely ruined by this kind of interactive setting meddling. How would something like this work for our setting?

Antra

Postby Antra » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Angelman wrote:
Colonel Bogie wrote: One thing that I would like to do someday is go back to the old school FASA days and run NA games at conventions over the course of a year in and summarize the results into a campaign module / storyline / adventure so that people playing the miniatures game at the conventions actually can effect the story line of an adventure.

I must admit I am quite spectical to this, seeing how (IMHO) Legends of the Five Rings were absolutely ruined by this kind of interactive setting meddling. How would something like this work for our setting?

While as a long term L5R player I agree with you to an extent, the current L5R development team seems to understand that the CCG cannot completely influence the path of the history. To this extent, they've taken a sandbox look at the rules (similar to how FSR is currently set up), and produced two books called Imperial Histories 1 & 2 which lays out the flow of the timeline as set previously by the CCG as well as AU settings. Both of these books are optional material. Catalyst does it similarly with their various time frames for Battletech/Mechwarrior.

If the Fading Suns Line, and by extension FASA, were to produce these plot/scenario books as optional changes to the setting rather than hard over-arching Metaplot, it would allow GMs to pick and choose what they like. For example, if through a series of these battles, the Kurga Caliphate manages to take the Hazat worlds of Hira and Vera Cruz, then the scenarios published based off of this conflict would make for a great Epic (and could lead to another one where players lead the effort to take them back). But the book could be completely ignored by a GM if he chooses not to use it.

As long as these changes stay out of a Core (or Core Supplement), then it doesn't effect the overall Metaplot and thus has no effect unless a GM wants to use it.

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Personally I would be more interested in doing stories/campaigns where the outcome as determined by player actions had internal implications without influencing the overall setting very much.

Return to “Product Discussion”