Czlaplon Quest

GM: TarlimanJoppos. "This subforum is for an online spinoff from my Bearers of the Helm campaign."
arcomniflash
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby arcomniflash » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:57 pm

"I'm just worried about the number of people who may have come into contact with this substance." I'll stare at the overly large mushrooms in the distance. "It looks wide enough spread that some people would have come into contact with it. Canvassing the area is a good idea, we need to wipe out the infection here as quickly as possible."

TarlimanJoppos
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Gudrun gives a short nod to Isaac and Alston. “There are times when the tactics of the Grim Legion make sense. We will have to clear the area, burn it all down, and see who might have traveled through here to carry it further.”

“The only good news,” Shaliko says, “is that this is a really out of the way farm. By picking a spot this remote to seed the fungus, the miscreant has done us a favor. There's not likely to have been too many people through here.”

Kolbeinn sends an earth elemental to start digging a bigger firebreak. Garsevan flies up a ways, then comes back down and shrugs. “Doesn't look quite regular,” he says. “Got some streamers going off.”

Gudrun conjures another spirit, and lays out a map of the area and a charcoal pencil. When the spirit returns, it sketches a rough outline of the infection. Oddly, the infected area seems to be more or less rectangular, with four long protrusions of one side and a shorter, thicker one off another. Garsevan swears a round oath. Shaliko just spits, to the orkish disrespectful side.

“Well,” says Mekhitar, “isn't that just extra special.”
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

User avatar
Kasbak
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby Kasbak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Well, that's definitely worrying. There's definitely got to be something, well, several somethings, driving the spread for that sort of pattern to emerge. "Spread points in multiple directions, lovely. So, do we hit for the center and try to expand a burn outward at a faster rate, or do we go for the vectors first and try to contain it?" I would lean towards containment, however, we are a comparatively small group, and trying to contain all of those points would spread us quite thin, assuming we'd even have enough to make the attempt. Then again, we'd also have to try and contain a fire spreading, though that probably would be easier to have elementals help with.

arcomniflash
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby arcomniflash » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:29 pm

"Hmm..." I'll muse while looking at the charcoal picture. "Is that some kind of symbol? It definitely doesn't look like a random growth." Turning to Alston, I'll nod. "It's fungal, so any fire should spread relatively quickly, I think. We have enough people to hit all of the parts of it at once and ensure it catches fire, shouldn't take long but we'll need to make sure we contain the resulting blaze. There are a lot of fields and forests around here - I'm also a little worried that it might spread some spores into the air, so we'll need to be careful."

TarlimanJoppos
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Shaliko stares at Isaac for a moment, then leans down and puts his hand flat on the map, next to the area of the infection. The resemblance becomes painfully obvious.

Gudrun sends off a light sprite. “Reinforcements. Containment. Fungal infection. Hand of Corruption. Non-combat response. Civilian town nearby. Immediate assistance.”

“We need to back slowly and carefully away from this,” Garsevan says, eyeing the field of purple toadstools. “Like it was a really big dog that we're pretty sure doesn't like us and might be hungry.”

“Agreed,” says Gudrun. “Back to the crossroads. Kolbeinn, ice everything down behind us. We must consider ourselves all potentially infected.”

“Alcohol baths for everyone!” Mekhitar chirps sarcastically. “We can all smell like the morning after a long night without having enjoyed getting there!”
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

arcomniflash
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby arcomniflash » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 am

"Alright then." I'll say, raising my eyebrow at Shaliko having meant that the hand was some kind of symbol for something. Then again, it being a symbol for the Hand of Corruption does make sense, though one wonders how they got all the way out here ahead of us.

"Let's get out of here." I'll put a hand on my hat and about face - we still need to take care of that fungus somehow, but that can wait for now. We need to take appropriate precautions first.

User avatar
Kasbak
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby Kasbak » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Wonderful. At least we aren't going to try and take this on ourselves; this is just too big for a group our size. "We'll need to wash the mounts down too, then. Hopefully we've got enough to take care of it." With any luck, there will be some stores brought in by the reinforcements Gudrun called for.

"We should probably avoid going through town - and near anyone else for that matter - until we can get the decontamination taken care of." If our reinforcements can move quickly, we may be able to stop the spread before it gets close to the land near town.

TarlimanJoppos
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 pm

You get back to the crossroads, and there's already a base camp going up. Soldiers in full-coverage Blight suits with the Lightbearer emblem painted on them hustle you over to a small wooden tower with a couple of large barrels atop it, and you find out the quick way that the barrels are grain alcohol when the soldiers start hosing you down with it. Your animals are taken over to another area and scrubbed down, and made to stand in wooden troughs of something really pungent. Gudrun and Shaliko quietly put up with it. Garsevan grumbles a bit. Mekhitar makes a fuss over his musical instruments, loudly protesting the damage to the finish and to the lute's strings. Kolbeinn shuts down and looks victimized. Once you've been scrubbed, given fresh tunics and sandals to wear while your clothing and gear are drying, and looked over by a Questor of Garlen, a sturdy human woman with marshal's insignia on her armor comes over to you.

“Marshal Saribekian, Second Cohort. We've got the town locked down and undergoing decontamination. The riverboat captain wasn't pleased to see us, but got less uppity when she figured out we weren't looking for evidence of smuggling. You have evidence this is a Hand operation?”
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

User avatar
Kasbak
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby Kasbak » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Oh joy, second bath in the stuff today for me. I'll just have to bear it, though I am definitely going to spend some time with my gear as soon as I can. Everything is going to need new treatments applied, and I'm sure there are some things that will simply have to be replaced. Thankfully I wouldn't have bothered taking my traveling journal on such a short trip.

"It looks that way by the spread pattern." I'll remark to the marshall. I'm going to go on and guess that the security measures and identy verifications have been dealt with. If not, I'm really not in a mood for caring at this point; the blow has been struck, and we can't afford delays if we're going to get containment underway in time to make a difference. Besides, the information can be found independently by flying up anyway. "I don't know if our map survived the decontamination, but if you have another we can mark the relative positions of the vectors for you." I think Gudrun had the map, since it was her spirit that did the scouting, but I don't want to make any assumptions.

arcomniflash
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Czlaplon Quest

Postby arcomniflash » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:03 pm

I'll put up with the decontamination process quietly myself - at least it's better than people hunting you down for being contaminated. It's probably going to take a while to scrub the scent of this stuff off my metal arm, however, and that is somewhat irritating. After it's all over, I'll join the others in talking about whether or not we're dealing with the Hand.

"Yes, I believe this is a Hand operation. The pattern of the spread is pretty telling, almost as if they wanted to take responsibility for it. In addition, I suspect that their agents may have been following us ever since the Floating City, but that's harder to prove."


Return to “Czlaplon Quest”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest