Empress of the Known Worlds

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Leviathan of Maddoc

Re: Empress of the Known Worlds

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:28 pm

I was watching House of Cards last night and they had a presidential candidate who had had a chance meeting with domestic terrorist being interrogated by the Department of Justice. So it was at a very discrete polite and private hearing with a camera filming her and the DOJ just asked her to state for the record each item of her statement that conflicted with what she suspected she did, then calmly asked her to repeat the statement for the camera. They weren't sarcastic or mocking, they were cold and matter of fact and radiated unified authority. You could watch her being crushed by her own guilt and fear with each question, not knowing what they do or don't know, until she finally snapped and accused them of knowing that she met with him.

That's why I think groups like the Jakovian Agency terrifies people.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:22 am

Leviathan of Maddoc wrote:I was watching House of Cards last night and they had a presidential candidate who had had a chance meeting with domestic terrorist being interrogated by the Department of Justice. So it was at a very discrete polite and private hearing with a camera filming her and the DOJ just asked her to state for the record each item of her statement that conflicted with what she suspected she did, then calmly asked her to repeat the statement for the camera. They weren't sarcastic or mocking, they were cold and matter of fact and radiated unified authority. You could watch her being crushed by her own guilt and fear with each question, not knowing what they do or don't know, until she finally snapped and accused them of knowing that she met with him.

That's why I think groups like the Jakovian Agency terrifies people.

:D Agreed

(Oh and the original British House of Cards was better :P Francis Urquhart FTW)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Newmarduk

Postby Newmarduk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:01 pm

The idea of Alexius Hawkwood marrying Salandra Decados is VERY unusual, given that Hawkwood and Decados nobles are traditionally from rival houses.

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:30 pm

They are a canon celebrity couple. Or at least people think that Salandra being seen in his company means that they're a couple. The more I thought about Salandra and Alexius, the more it made perfect sense to me. It's such an outrageous power grab and you need to manage rumor and fact very carefully to make it work. Salandra seems like the natural choice whether she feels genuine affection for Alexius or not.

On a side note we're having a ball playing with Evil Alexius. The game is set in impoverished post-war Cadiz, lots of lesser nobles who know nothing about what the house is doing but knowing that their wealth was depleted and their kinsmen killed because of insert-anti-Hawkwood-propaganda. So the game is full of paranoid political sharks and any time there's discussion about new imperial laws or infrastructure there is a conspiracy theory about how it undermines Decados authority as part of Alexius's demented revenge plot. One of the players met a Decados knight he used to idolize in the tourneys wearing his brand new Questing Knight livery and he was worried about being seen in public with that guy.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:20 am

Leviathan of Maddoc wrote:On a side note we're having a ball playing with Evil Alexius. The game is set in impoverished post-war Cadiz, lots of lesser nobles who know nothing about what the house is doing but knowing that their wealth was depleted and their kinsmen killed because of insert-anti-Hawkwood-propaganda. So the game is full of paranoid political sharks and any time there's discussion about new imperial laws or infrastructure there is a conspiracy theory about how it undermines Decados authority as part of Alexius's demented revenge plot. One of the players met a Decados knight he used to idolize in the tourneys wearing his brand new Questing Knight livery and he was worried about being seen in public with that guy.

Slightly off topic but may I just say that I LOVE that. :)

Also the joining of the Decados to the "new" Imperial House is the perfect "victory. Why bother to fight the war to a pyrrhic victory when you can see the way things are heading (and judge the personality of Alexius relatively well, guessing perhaps that he'd separate himself from his House upon taking the throne) surrender, and then gain the throne (or at least the empress' throne and a say in the Imperial Dynasty from that point on. Especially as your old rivals, the Blue Lions are feeling slighted and cast out as the Emperor distances himself from them.

That to me is a very Decados way of doing things.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Danos

Postby Danos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Newmarduk wrote:The idea of Alexius Hawkwood marrying Salandra Decados is VERY unusual, given that Hawkwood and Decados nobles are traditionally from rival houses.

Sure, and it was unthinkable for Yorkist to marry a Lancaster until it happened, and ended the War of the Roses. Dynastic marriage is about power and politics. When the Emperor Wars ended, the Hazat were besieged on Hira and suffering constant Kurgan raids on Vera Cruz. The Decados were locked in constant warfare with the al-Malik, Hawkwoods, and Li Halan. The last gasp of the Decados was the invasion of the al-Malik worlds using the Stigmata garrison. That happened while the Hazat were being trapped and killed on Jericho.

They lost. They lost the war. They hadn't been crushed yet, but it was coming.

So they surrendered. The Hazat had plenty of fight left in them, and a strong strategic position, with three systems in a jump gate triangle, but the Decados were exposed. They didn't have the League covering one flank and the Church covering another. So they stopped, regrouped, and redirected the conflict. Salandra has successfully driven a wedge between Alexius and the woman everyone assumed he would marry, Theafana. Why does Theafana bring to Alexius? She is a Brother Battle, so she brings her lineage and the goodwill of her house. He doesn't need the lineage, and he already has the goodwill. What does Salandra bring? The possibility of a permanent peace, with almost no chance of the wars reigniting when their child assumes the throne, followed by an almost inevitable assassination. I think it hasn't happened yet because Alexius has to make sure his own house doesn't rise in revolt and reignite the wars, and he can't figure out how to survive marriage to Salandra, but chiefly because he doesn't really want that marriage.

I think Alexius is planning to marry someone else, to be honest. Probably a Li Halan, possibly a Hazat. But first, he is playing politics to pull the fangs of his main rivals among the Decados and the most disaffected Hawkwoods. When those two groups 'force' him to marry a younger Hazat or Li Halan, he can give them that 'victory', and seal the biggest threat to the peace to the Imperial cause through a compromise marriage that is forced on him (but which is secretly the outcome he wanted in the first place).

Return to “For Game Masters”