Church and Annunaki

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ragnarol
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Church and Annunaki

Postby ragnarol » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:24 pm

So I was wondering. Whats the official position of the Church about the Annunaki?

Don't know from where its backed, but probably has built in my mind from the different source books. But I think they see them as closer to the Pancreator. Gargoyles having a very spiritual value for the Church.

Is that right? What about the "bad Anunnaki"?

In my mind as well the different theurgy Angels map to actutal Annunaki beings as well as the Qlipoth demons. But do the Church officialy claim the same?

Your views and any references to sourcebooks would be more than welcome.

I can also elaborate my thoughts if someone is interested.

Angelman

Re: Church and Annunaki

Postby Angelman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:55 pm

If I recall corretly, there is no official informatin on the Unviersal Church's stance on the Anunnaki. We know that Anunnaki worship is illegal, which basically take the form of crazy cults venerating Cthuluhoid monster statues. In any case, the Universal Church is profoundly human-centric, and it is very unlikely that even advanced alien species will be particularly favored in UC dogma - actually, the UC is more than likely to be even more suspicious about aliens more advanced than mankind than they are to aliens in general. That said, there are thinks like the gargoil of Nowhere, a major pilgrimage site for the faithful. One could argue that Zebulon sanctified not only the jumprouts with his death in a jumpgate accident, but also the Anunnaki factions that built them, although as far as I know, there is no such indication in canonical FS sources.

And then there is the Eskatonics, who are VERY interested in Anunnaki stuff, and many of which probably regard the Anunnaki in clear cut angels vs. devils terms.
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:55 pm

There's a lot of references here and there about the church cordoning off access to Annunaki sites and restricting access to gargoyles under the auspice of spiritual protection. In the old tech book Alien tech is almost universally proscribed. However on planets full of gargoyles and ancient ruins the Church isn't going around setting demolition charges and gate travel seems to be a non-issue for the church.

I expect they have a cautious respect for the Annunaki as part of the Pancreator's plan. They don't want just anyone to rub up against powerful and poorly understood tech but at the same time they value the power and insight these sites and artifacts could provide. Tis vagueness gives latitude to the wild-eyed Avesti who preaches of doom for all those that stand in the shadow of the gargoyle and at the same time validates the Eschaton that performs experiments on it.

ragnarol

Postby ragnarol » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:33 pm

Ok thanks for that guys!

That was my concern. Something in my mind told me that my image of them being "ok" with the Annunaki stuff wasn't right. I probably get confused by all those Alustro's Journal that really show the views of a Eskatonic.

I will try to do some "formal" investigation on the matter and try to document it. I will share my findings. In the meantime any clues will be appreciated :)

ragnarol

Postby ragnarol » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:33 am

Ok, I went yesterday night through "Forbidden Lore" and "Arcane Tech" and they are pretty clear.

As you said the Church don't like the Annunaki, actually they require any new gargoyle, soul shard or philosopher stone to be handed to them so they can lock them up in a warehouse full of crates :). They are afraid of those items as they are nonhuman tech.

The only exception as you also said seems to be the Jumpgates as they were "blessed" by the prophet upon his dead.

Obviously that is the Universal Church law, I imagine the different sects willing to ignore it if the benefit them or just ignore them for knowledge-sake in the case of the Eskatonics.

I have restructured my thoughts now. :)

Return to “For Game Masters”