Using Iver

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Using Iver

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:47 am

So, has anyone included the Lost World of Iver (detailed in Star Crusade 2 - Lost Worlds) in their epics? If so, how?

I'd like to run an epic starting on Pandemonium but I figure that eventually means Iver will have an impact - my issue is that it is the complete antithesis of the Known Worlds: Republican government and individualism vs strict feudalism, integrated human and alien populations, the native religion is the Incarnates and the only nobility are House Chauki.... how do you incorporate all of that "otherness" without it overpowering everything in your game and the setting (and arguably that's the "in-setting" issue that Iver presents to the Empire)?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Madmage

Re: Using Iver

Postby Madmage » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:21 pm

The inquisition is currently interdicting the space jumpgate which would prevent most of the infiltration of "problematic" issues.

Remember though, the Incarnates and republican ideals aren't exactly foreign to the Known Worlds. Rampart (although now under the rule by the Li HAlan) and the League planets are sympathetic to the latter. Incarnates exist elsewhere albeit as fringe cults.

The main question will be, are the characters sympathetic to republicanism, the Incarnates and House Chauki. If they are to any or all three, I recommend letting the players choose to get involved and see where it brings. If they are opposed to such things, you can easily downplay it or use elements of Iver as antagonists. Perhaps many republicans begin to make their way to Pandemonium in the hope of either making it to Iver or using its discovery as a rallying call (albeit likely a doomed one) for a 3rd republic.

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:56 am

We had a brief visit to Iver in a game long ago. We were lent an infiltration ship to run the Decados blockade. Once we were there we found out it was to steal a voting rod from a virtually unguarded museum, which was the good-by to normalcy in the game but still a lot of fun. Back then Iver wasn't very developed so our encounter with it was fairly vague.

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:27 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Amlost

Postby Amlost » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:28 am

I never liked Iver as a venue much. Didn't seem very Fading Sun's I'sh. However, it can be a great source of enemies. Chauki, Incarnates, Republican's; are all enemy fodder that could have broken the blockade. Why make the effort to break the blockade if one of these groups has already done it for you. In short.... LIE.

Take a look at Lord Erbian's Stellar Bestiary. I recommend a squad of six Chauki Avengers working for a rouge Chauki Lord with a vendetta against an available target. My personal recommendation.... Cardinal Oma of Apshai (FS 1ed pg 49).

The Hub will be an exciting venue for a short time. Boom Bang, chase, chase down hints/secrets, chase down narrow streets, violence, chase, (drinks at local cantina) mobs, chase, spaceport shoot out. Take off to save the Cardinal (Universal Church Ambassadorial Title, rarely used).

Enjoy;

Madmage

Postby Madmage » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:48 am

Maybe it's the liberal/progressive in me, but I actually think Iver does give something the rest of the setting lacks: a more compelling reason for characters/players to consider every being they might encounter. In the rest of the setting, it's very easy to dismiss serfs for being a faceless mass of uneducated, powerless (and sometimes inbred) lot who aren't worth much time or effort. Certainly, a priest could want to tend to their spiritual needs but it's also easy to handwave "Ok, you preach to the needy. Moving on..."

Holz

Postby Holz » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:02 am

My guess is you can use Iver as a counter-point to the KW.

That way you show the "evil" republicanism and House Chauki ideals, etc.

Good for RP plots!
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Return to “For Game Masters”