Vignette character creation works!

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hygric
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Vignette character creation works!

Postby Hygric » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:03 am

Evening all,

New FS GM here, and I am loving it. Just wanted to post how we did our character creation for my group for our new campaign in-case it inspires any other GM's out there.

When I saw the lifepath system of char-gen I knew immediately that I wanted to spend a whole session devoted to making characters. Specifically I wanted all the PC's to grow up together (instant reason for a party of heroes). So I had my players sit down and we went through char-gen collectively 1 step at a time. Some decisions needed to be made by the group that bound the group in the choices they could make (specifically that they are affiliated with house Al-Malik and they come from a space habitat in orbit of Criticorum).

I ran a small group scene at each stage of char-gen (Upbringing, Apprenticeship, Early Career) to get the players into their character mind-sets and make the life-path choices more organic for them. The extra stages part of char-gen was also finished off with one last vignette scene to set the campaign on its way.

This has lead to characters with a lot of depth and history as a group. Such as the Charioteer that brained an assassin as an 8 year old with a thrown vase and has as a result developed his throwing skill. Or the Ur-Ubon Sanctuary Aeon priest that was originally a "pet" purchased for the scion on the house to keep him amused.

Of course then everything went to hell when the Noble heir of the house (PC) was due to be married to a Decados noble-woman when his younger brother (who had been breaking his toys when he was 8) staged a bloody coup killing most of the old family retainers, his parents and then marrying the Decados noble-woman to cement his play for power.

Fun times are just started...

Angelman

Re: Vignette character creation works!

Postby Angelman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:37 am

This is a brilliant idea. I have done things like this in one or two campaigns before, and it really adds depth and context to the characters and the epic they're going through. Good work, Hygric!
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Holz

Postby Holz » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Sounds like a great role play character creation!

Consider your idea stolen! =P
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:01 pm

This is awesome! Brilliant idea for character creation!
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Hygric

Postby Hygric » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:51 am

3 sessions in now and one minor problem has become apparent. Integrating a new player requires a little bit of mental gymnastics to make it fit in to the party back-story. Fortunately nobles all seem to be related to each other somehow, so that makes it a bit easier!

Return to “For Game Masters”