Gaming the Graceful Tongue

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Gaming the Graceful Tongue

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Anyone have any tips on how they play out the Al Malik's Graceful Tongue?

Do you roleplay it in full (coming up with phrases and metaphors) or just say what you mean and imply the "language"?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Re: Gaming the Graceful Tongue

Postby Angelman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:31 pm

Not being a Graceful Tongue speaker myself, I find it very hard to fake it, so I usually cop out for the "speak the meaning behind the veiled language" option. When a player manages to pull it off however (i.e. speaking metaphorically in a way that is understandable to the rest of us but not necessarly the characters), I tend to reward them in some ways (i.e. ingame effects or EXP)
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:53 pm

"Shaka, when the walls fell" ;)
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:59 pm

I have to agree with Angelman here. If the player can pull it off I'd give them some extra bonus on a roll or some xp or some other type of thing. I think that in the future it would definitely make a good supplement or add-on to something. :)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Holz

Postby Holz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:35 pm

I agree as well (third?) I might say that doing rimes does not cut.

Players that choose to talk, need a poetic and getting the metaphor into play.

"Shed light over darkness, or it might bite you."
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:06 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Bogie

Postby Bogie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:41 pm

We've got a blog in the works.... just saying. ;)
Colonel Bogie
Director - FASA Games
Line Developer - Fading Suns / Noble Armada
Hail Freedonia!

Holz

Postby Holz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:25 pm

"There is wisdom on think machines, but trust them not, since there spark is weak."
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:38 am

I've been reading up about metaphorical languages and they work by having (and understanding) the same cultural and often religious references. Therefore any plan to define the "Graceful Tongue" is almost as much a definition of Al Malik culture, history and folklore (or at least their perception and understanding of the references of their culture) - not that it should stop us, obviously ;)

I'd suggest that any article or published section on the subject needs to be equal thirds the history & use of the "language", tips on how to play it as a player or GM and example phrases, patterns or (perhaps most importantly) key concepts or "references" used.
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Oh well.

Leviathan of Maddoc

Postby Leviathan of Maddoc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”