Questions about combat

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Tupteq
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Questions about combat

Postby Tupteq » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:06 pm

It looks like there'll be some bigger fight on the next session. I'm a GM and I read combat rules, and I still have a feeling that some elements are not clear for me (paper version of Player's Guide, edition January 2014).

Armed vs. unarmed - is there any note about bonus to Defense for armed fighter vs. unarmed? (I think it's logical - it's hard to kick a person wielding a sword).

Serpentis, Weavin Fangs (p.164) - "stylist does not suffer the -2 movement penalty during combat" - penalty to Defense or penalty to attack?

Grapple description (p.247) notes roll Dexterity/Strength + Fight/Athletics. Does it mean that the rolling character may choose any combination? But table on p.251 says only Dexterity + Fight (the same is for Knockdown).

Empty Clip (p.252) - description says that +5 to damage is added, but table (p.251) says that +7 is added. Which one is right?

Kraxi, Thrust (p.258) - Last sentence is "Additionally if the movement is only 1m the penalty for moving and attacking is negated.", but moving up to Move value doesn't cause any penalties. Is it an error?

Kraxi, Slip of the Knife - This action has no sense - sacrificing 1 point of damage for 1d of armor makes no sense. 1d of armor protects only in 66% (1-4 on D6), so every VP sacrificed to reduce armor, decreases effective damage.

Pistola, Roll and Shoot (p.260) - description says that it's harder to hit shooter and that he can move up to 3 meters without penalty. But there's no information about any Defense bonus (or maybe I should use "Prone in Open" +2 to Defense? But it's not noted). Also - character can move up to his Move without penalty, so moving 3 meters (without any other profit) is no bonus at all. Or maybe it's only advantage is that shooter can move 3 meters and end kneeing without penalty?

Weapons (mostly I'm referring to table on p. 305):
Plastic body shield cost is 2, should it be 20?

Razor Edged body shield has +2 to Goal, shouldn't it be +2 to DMG?

Buckler damage is 1, which is less than bare hand.

Axe description says "DMG 6 for TL2+", but table says DMG 7, TL1. Which is right?
There's more such inconsistencies:
Club description says "DMG 3 for TL1+", but table says DMG 4, TL0.
Dagger damage (description: DMG 3 TL2+, table DMG 4, TL1).
Knife damage (description: DMG 2 TL2+, table DMG 3, TL0).
Mace damage (description: DMG 5 TL2+, table DMG 5, TL1). Really TL1?
Rapier damage (description: DMG 5 TL3+, table DMG 5, TL2).
Spear damage (description: DMG 4 TL1+, table DMG 5, TL0).
Staff damage (description: DMG 3 TL1, table DMG 4, TL0).
Two-Handed Axe damage (description: DMG 8 TL2+, table DMG 8, TL1).
Two-Handed Sword damage (description: DMG 8 TL2+, table DMG 8, TL1).
War Sword damage (description: DMG 6 TL2+, table DMG 6, TL1).
Table p.312:
Throwing Axe damage (description: DMG 3 TL2+, table DMG 4, TL1).
Throwing Knife damage (description: DMG 2 TL2+, table DMG 3, TL1).

Also, about two-handed axe - there's a note (p.308) that it's slow and opponent Dodge is at +2 (and it's massive, so opponent parry goal is -2). Both Dodge and parry are removed. So, how should it work?

Basket-Hilted Guard (p.308) description says that it grants -2 penalty for attacker to disarm, but table (p.309) has a note "+1 Defense". Which is correct?

Shotguns table (p.320) has a number of split statistics like Goal: +1/0/-1, DMG 8/4/1 and RNG 10/20/x. My guess is that it's a range based differentiation (+1 goal for close range, 0 for medium etc.), but then, what RNG means? 10/20/x: 10 - short, 20 - long, but x? Does it mean that the weapon is useless at extrame gange? If so, then it has only two effective ranges and providing 3 goals modifiers and damage codes makes no sense. But maybe I'm wrong and it means something different?

It's possible that some of these questions were already answered, but I missed it, in such case please point me appropriate topic.

Angelman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Questions about combat

Postby Angelman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:01 pm

(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:52 pm

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:50 pm

The +2 circumstantial bonus is a good fix for how to give armed fighters an edge on unarmed ones. (Behind the Scene: I argued hard for switching Melee & Shoot [in FS3] from Learned to Natural skills, and Fight & Throw from Natural to Learned skills. My rationale here was that it is easier to fight with a weapon than without one, which is basically why people do it. I was voted down however, although I think I might flog that horse again should the opportunity for a FS4 arise at some point ;) ).

I think you’re right about soft weapons vs. hard armor for Slip of the Knife. If it was up to me, this action would also work against energy shields ;)

Shotguns: It could be that I meant for the first goal & DMG band to represent point blank attacks, and that certainly makes sense, but if so I made a poor job with representing this in the chart – so much so that I can’t believe that was the case. Still, I like your system ;) That said, point blank already has a general +2 goal bonus.
(numerous projects)

Bertjammin

Postby Bertjammin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:42 am

"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Tupteq

Postby Tupteq » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Tupteq

Postby Tupteq » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Holz

Postby Holz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Oh boy... I'm make my book so full of post-it notes, it won't close.
To hell with information, ammunition is ammunition.

If brute for ain't working you ain't using enough.

Fan site of the FS Universe: https://fadingsunsbr.wordpress.com/portal/

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:48 am

(numerous projects)

Return to “For Game Masters”