Benefices & Afflictions, Blessings & Curses

Discussion on game mastering Fading Suns. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bertjammin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Benefices & Afflictions, Blessings & Curses

Postby Bertjammin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:52 am

A question (hopefully to spur a bit of debate); in an on going game/epic how doe you handle player characters gaining Traits (specifically Benefices & Afflictions, Blessings & Curses) after character creation? For example - a player's Al Malik noble becomes, through a series of events in the story, a knight of the Order of Questing Knights - do you award him/her the Imperial Charter Benefice on his character sheet or just take it as read? Likewise a character is disfigured by an Inquisitor's flamer, do you give him an associated Curse?

I suppose what I'm saying is when, through role-play or plot a character gains something which in character generation is reflected by a Trait (increased rank, a Fiefdom, Outlaw status etc) do you also award them the mechanical trait or handle it outside of that system? Also in the case of Curses and Afflictions (as they often carry a mechanical disadvantage) do you reward the player/character for taking on a long term hindrance like that?
"The crazy ol' Vorox"

Something witty, pithy and observant ought to go here.

Oh well.

Follow my current campaign and my general musings about GMing Fading Suns at: http://trialsofarcadia.blogspot.co.uk/

Angelman

Re: Benefices & Afflictions, Blessings & Curses

Postby Angelman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 am

Personally, I award no Extra Point bonus or cost for traits that are bestowed/inflicted upon player characters during play. Similarly, I wouldn't give a player character Extra Points back for loosing that family heirloom the character started the game with. If the player character strive to obtain a Blessing or Benefice however - such as a Fighting Style - I charge the player XP equal to twice the trait's Extra Points cots (i.e. 10 XP for a Fighting Style).
Writer, editor, & developer for:
. (Fading Suns Revised: PG, GMG, Criticorum Discord)
(numerous projects)

Return to “For Game Masters”