Improving in Multiple Disciplines?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Jaracove

Improving in Multiple Disciplines?

Postby Jaracove » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:51 pm

I can either go insane trying to figure out the rules for improving in multi disciplines, or I can just rule you can't have more than one discipline. Think I'll go with the latter.

In all seriousness, does anyone understand the rules for improving in multi disciplines? I've read them a few times now and they just baffle me.

etherial

Re: Improving in Multiple Disciplines?

Postby etherial » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Jaracove wrote:I can either go insane trying to figure out the rules for improving in multi disciplines, or I can just rule you can't have more than one discipline. Think I'll go with the latter.

In all seriousness, does anyone understand the rules for improving in multi disciplines? I've read them a few times now and they just baffle me.

OK, there are a couple of main points:

1. If you get multiple bonuses to the same thing, then only the best bonus applies. So an 8th Circle Warrior/8th Circle Swordmaster has +3 Physical Defense, +2 Social Defense, and +1 Mystic Defense. An 8th Circle Elementalist/Wizard who bought no Spell Matrices as Talent Options would have One Enhanced Matrix and One Standard Matrix. A 5th Circle Elementalist/2nd Circle Warrior would have 2 Ranks of Warrior Durability and 3 Ranks of Elementalist Durability, for a total of +23 to Unconsciousness Rating and +28 to Death Rating. If they Circled as an Elementalist, that would then be +26/+32 and if they Circled as a Warrior, it would be +27/+32.

Elementalist 5/Warrior 2

Code: Select all

Circle     Elementalist     Warrior     Best     Running Total
1          3                7           7        7
2          3                7           7        14
3          3                            3        17
4          3                            3        20
5          3                            3        23

Elementalist 5/Warrior 3

3          3                7           7        21
4          3                            3        24
5          3                            3        27

Elementalist 6/Warrior 2

3          3                            3        17
4          3                            3        20
5          3                            3        23
6          3                            3        26

2. Raising each subsequent Discipline is more expensive than raising any of the previous ones. The cost of each Talent is raised by one Tier unless it's already at Master Tier. So a Novice Talent in your Second Discipline takes 300 Legend to raise to Rank 2 instead of the 200 Legend it cost in your First Discpline. If you picked up a Third Discipline, a Novice Talent would cost 500 Legend to raise to Rank 2. There is also a table of initial costs because you built your character as a First Circle Adept, so you never had to pay Legend in order to have Talents in the first place. So however many new Discipline Talents you pick up, you pay for according to the chart on ED4PG457.

3. Any Talent that is a Discipline Talent for either Discipline is no longer a Talent Option for the other Discipline UNLESS they haven't reached the right Circle yet. So an Elementalist 5/Wizard 1 character could have Astral Sight at Rank 3 as a First Circle Elementalist Talent Option, but once they become Wizard 2, it becomes a Wizard Talent, freeing up an Elementalist Novice Talent Option slot. I adjust their Spent Legend to account for the change in progression, but this isn't strictly necessary. So in the example above, I would charge them 400 Legend, the difference between (100+200+300) and (200+300+500). Remember that only Talents from that Discipline count for Advancement, so Astral Sight would no longer count toward Elementalist Advancement, even if you were Using Talent Options To Advance.

So why would anyone go to the trouble? There are basically 3 reasons. One is to shore up a weakness in the party. If your Adventuring Group has only one Spellcaster, it can be handy to have someone take a couple of Circles in another Spellcasting Discipline in order to help out when your Primary Spellcaster is occupied. Another reason is to gain Synergistic benefits from two Disciplines that mix well, like Air Sailor or Sky Raider and another Heavy Discipline. The last, and really the primary reason, is that as your character progresses, raising Talents and Circling become more of a Grind, and injecting a Second Discipline is an easy way for the player to provide their character with some short term goals.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Etherial covered most of it, but I don't know if it helped.

So I guess my initial questions are "What part of it doesn't make sense to you? Could you be a bit more specific? Where do you start to get lost?"
Josh Harrison -- The Lore Merchant
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:59 pm

One useful simplification is "Adept cannot pick up an extra Discipline unless their lowest Discipline is Circle 5 or above." While the game ALLOWS is before then, this simplification cuts out some of the confusion of the scaling LP cost for the first rank in each of the new Discipline Talents.

Jaracove

Postby Jaracove » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:41 am

I slept on it and re read it this morning; I think I'm ok with it now. It just seemed to click

I'll go through it again and if I have specific questions I'll post them here

Thanks all

Return to “Product Discussion”