What future supplement releases would you like to see?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.

What supplemental books would you like to see released for ED4?

Settings Book (Travar, Blood Wood, Parlainth etc)
30%
Adventures (New)
28%
Adventures (Re Released)
2%
Book of the Arcane (Spells and Magic Items)
21%
Bestiary
19%

Total votes: 47

Jaracove

What future supplement releases would you like to see?

Postby Jaracove » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:22 am

What types of supplements would you like to see released for ED4?

You can choose three options. I'd love to pick all five, but I wanted gamers to make a decision and think about what they'd like given a limited choice.

I love ED, it's one of my all time favourite rpgs, so I'd love to see it supported for many years to come. I understand not all rpg companies have oodles of cash to throw at their game, but even a slow buy steady release schedule would be welcomed.

I know a lot of the above options are covered in the GM's Guide (creatures) and Companion books, but there's no harm in releasing a separate Bestiary/Monster Manual and other similar supplements.

I remember that awesome map FASA released for 1st ed, the one with that sextant mapping item you had to put together. Fantastic supplement that was!

I'm all for releasing past adventures updated to 4ed too. For example, Mists of Betrayal, Infected etc.

Slimcreeper

Re: What future supplement releases would you like to see?

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:54 am

My vote for adventures is reasoned as follows: 1) You can always stick new animals, spells, setting info or other goodies in an adventure book. 2) I'm just not going to buy another version of an adventure I already have. 3) I don't know that I'm going to have time to write a lot of complete adventures. 4) Enough has changed that I'd like to run an adventure balanced and written for 4th ed. 5) I would like to play some of the stories New FASA has in their heads.

Actually, I think a high priority should be a quick-play adventure that I can walk into my FLGS and share Earthdawn with new people.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:23 am

Slimcreeper wrote:Actually, I think a high priority should be a quick-play adventure that I can walk into my FLGS and share Earthdawn with new people.

That is actually on my worklist.
Josh Harrison -- The Lore Merchant
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:27 pm

I feel there is a real need for new spells for the fourth edition.

Each magician discipline has 11-12 First circle spells and 6-7 Second and Third. Each of these has variations of the same basic spell with background flavor.
Example 1 (attack spell):
    Elementalist - Earth Darts (range 20yrds, WIL+2/Physical)
    Illusionist - Ephemeral Bolt (range 20yrds, WIL+4/Mystic)
    Nethermancer - Spirit Dart (range 20yrds, WIL+2/Mystic)
    Wizard - Mind Dagger (range 20yrds, WIL+2/Mystic)
Example 2 (armor buff)
    Elementalist - Air Armor (PA +3)
    Illusionist - Assuring Touch (MD+3, SD+3)
    Nethermancer - Soul Armor (MA+3)
    Wizard - Mage Armor (PA+3)

Since each discipline can basically do the same spells, everyone ends up being the same.

I know I sound really negative, but the point I'm trying to make is, if there were more spells to choose from, the game would be better.

earthdawn66

Postby earthdawn66 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Me I want to see the Expansion of the Mataxes family like a dozen Spawn for the future *grin*... barring that we have had parts of Eurasia and Africa in past expansions anything maybe for across the Sea?

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:01 pm

Baravakar wrote:Each [magician Discipline has] variations of the same basic spell with background flavor.

I'd have to disagree here. Yes, there are multiple overlapping effects, but in almost all cases, there is far more than "flavor" difference.

Your example about the DD spells is one example. Honestly, the fact that they do damage is actually kind of incidental, IMHO. Elementalist and Nethermancer, for example, provide much greater benefit from the debuff applied by their attack than the minimal damage it's likely to do. Plus, it's not entirely fair to say "These are DD spells, so they overlap." Mystic attack versus Physical attack is INCREDIBLY different as far as defensive measures and likelihood of dealing damage.

A more diverse example, based on a thread item concept I've been evolving, is Close Combat enhancing spells. All the magician Disciplines have one, so one could say "there's too much sameness because they all offer Close Combat test enhancement." However, the mechanism - which are far more than flavor - are incredibly different. Nethermancer's buff are very strong and layered but requires attacks every turn on the nearest non-undead target, be it friend or foe. Elementalist's buff requires attack every turn (the close combat test bump comes from the Strain-free Aggressive Stance) and is more focused on the damage aspect (flameweapon and fireweave combined into the Marauder Aspect effect). Wizards are the least restrictive, providing just a close combat buff with no restrictions on use, but to get a damage buff, you have to lay on a separate spell. Yes, there is a very strong shared element running through them, but the end results are sufficiently different IMHO to prevent them being ''the same basic spell.'

Return to “Product Discussion”