[ED4] Sprint

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: [ED4] Sprint

Postby Mataxes » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Fusilliban wrote:Game design is hard.

Welcome to my world. :)
Josh Harrison -- The Lore Merchant
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Fusilliban

Postby Fusilliban » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:41 pm

As etherial noted elsethread, I've been in your world for a year now. It's a pretty good world. :D

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Baravakar wrote:There are three movement rate boosting talents. Two of which seem to be capped at the character's standard movement rate, so technically they don't increase movement at all.

I've been out for a while, but this whole conversation looks to have just sort of faded out without any real conclusion, so... I just wanted to note that this right here seems like a pretty important point. It's true that Great Leap and Gliding Stride have their additional purposes, but they don't let you move further in a round, and Sprint does.

The Wizard spell does seem like a more direct comparison, and yes, does look better than low Ranks in Sprint, but that means keeping it in a Matrix, which, as I recall from other discussions, have only gotten more precious than they used to be. It can also mean precious rounds casting it. If a Human has Sprint 5, and her friend 15 yards away is in trouble, she can get there in time. If she has to cast a spell to enhance her speed first.. she'll be just finishing that up and ready to go in time to see her friend die.

...But, all the same, I don't really disagree that I can't see anyone actually taking Sprint. It's a nice idea, and being able to move further is occasionally significant, but the early Ranks add so little, and it costs so many LP to build it up to something useful... there are much better Talents to take.

Fusilliban

Postby Fusilliban » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Utsukushi wrote:
Baravakar wrote:The Wizard spell does seem like a more direct comparison, and yes, does look better than low Ranks in Sprint, but that means keeping it in a Matrix, which, as I recall from other discussions, have only gotten more precious than they used to be.

Quicken Pace doesn't really take a Matrix. It lasts for Rank hours, so a low-circle Wizard can grimoire-cast it on the party at breakfast and lunch and you're covered for the day. A higher-circle Wizard doesn't need to refresh it at lunch. :)

ottdmk

Postby ottdmk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Sprint appears to be a niche talent, but I think it's fine for its niche. Quicken Pace is much better for long term movement, but it doesn't really work for a lightning burst of speed like Sprint can do (if you invest in it heavily, it's true.)

Plus, Sprint is always available, and not everyone has access to a Wizard. :P

Return to “Product Discussion”