Movement and attack sequence

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Movement and attack sequence

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:54 pm

I've been thinking about this while reading Panda's blog and comparing the 3E and 4E editions.

Some of the new creatures on Panda's blog get this "Special Maneuver":
Hamstring: The creature may spend an additional success from an Attack test to halve the opponent’s Movement until the end of the next round. If the attack causes a Wound, the reduction lasts until the Wound is healed.

This is mirrored by one of the 3E optional combat rules:
DAMAGED LIMB TABLE (Excellent Success vs WT)
Leg | The character suffers a –1 penalty to Action Tests requiring use of the damaged leg. The character’s Movement Rate is halved.
-----
So, I'd convert this to a Called Shot Rule: A Called Shot targeting a Leg and that causes a Wound halves the opponent’s Movement until the Wound is healed.

Dire Wolves and those with the Hamstring ability can cause a 2 round penalty if they do not cause a Wound.

Now the Dire Rat has a great motivation to start chewing the Elf's legs up, especially if you give them Hamstring. Get both legs and he's only running 3-4 yards per round! :D
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby etherial » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:55 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Right, but that is a specific application of a talent, not a general application of the combat rules.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:43 am

I always played that unless character is already engaged in combat he automatically faces opponent (unless suprised). And when he got opponents one in front, second on his back Giving Ground (combat option) was one of the ways to get them in your front.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:30 pm

I always play that melee combat is never static. Even if you are using miniatures and the opponents are staying in place, they are still moving. As long as the party involved in that combat is aware of his attackers, the blindside rules can not come into play. If that person is outnumbered, then it will. If that person is distracted by a talent or skill, then he can be sucker punched (blindsided).

As for constantly splitting movement to avoid being hit, it is theoretically possible but requires strain to keep up. NPCs are not following a per-programed AI list of instructions. The GM will have to come up with a plausible method to discourage this type of action.

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:41 am

Well fight is not like that, its chaos. Here is one of many bohurt (melee when you dont act and hit as hard as you can, well not exactly because we all are "friends" there but still injuries happen).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8x_CCnKfgo
Look at min. 11 fight for example, even 1v1 you can get blindsided, and if you dont move (and you have to do it fast - strain) well you get hit again.

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:07 am

House rules i could propose:
1) Any moment that is not ahead is considered half movement), so if elf is catch he can only back by 7 not 14. We check all where creature go, only 3 direct hex in front cover full movement. We play by round not by seconds so some artificial restriction must be set.

2) you can ignore 1 rule if you turn back and move, but this is risky move and if you are not fast enough it can hurt. Extra initiative roll if runner win no attack, if no then 1 close standard attack from weapon is possible, runner is considered blindsided (unless he see his back).

Also defender always stay to protect most of his back, so AFAIR at least 3 people is needed for 1 enemy to have blindsided, of course stupid fixated monster will not be so effective.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:30 am

If it works for you, great.

Way too fiddly for me, especially where I don't generally use minis at my table.

Don't get me wrong -- I totally understand there are people who are into that thing. Make house rules that expand what's there and work for you. However, I have no plans in the near future to expand the combat rules and make them more... "realistically tactical" (my term, lacking something better).

That doesn't mean that something might not be done in the future -- assuming somebody has a good pitch for a product that would incorporate that sort of thing -- just that I don't have any plans because I have other priorities right now.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:21 am

No problem, it is just stupid to g blindside when you attack, enemy too. Also in close combat showing back is normally dangerous if you miss good opportunity that's why when panic broke on normal field it is when most people die. In ed you can move and shoot then close combat again come and attack, then archer again move back(with same movement). It is absurd and ED have more of them. I do not really care much about realism, it is more about some balance.

In ED we have tabletop top mechanics (small movement, small range of spell/missile/throw) and you say you do not want use this.
We agreed in our group ignore this shortcomings and not use such exploit.

I offer some rules for anyone to use. Anyway thanks for reply Mataxes and keep priority :D

Return to “Product Discussion”