price of services

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
earcaraxe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

price of services

Postby earcaraxe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 am

1) I think its quite common that an adept wants to use his forge weapon talent, but doesnt own a forge. what is the average price for using some else's forge (usually a stranger's)? we dont want to role-play the whole thing out every time, just "ok, u have found a dwarven smith who lets u work in his forge if you dont bother him too much in his own work for ... silvers per day".

2) what is the pricing of hiring someone to use item history and obtain the test knowledges? I would like to stress, that im looking for a rule of thumb here, like the one in the rulebook about forging prices.

arma

Re: price of services

Postby arma » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:13 am

1) You can use lodging prices as a guideline (a well equipped Forge may provide bonuses, so there may be different price levels just as for lodging); this would be on a per-day basis, so the faster you can complete, the cheaper it gets. You could also use something like 10% of the value of the item made (the assumption is that 50% of the worth of an item is from the work put in, 50% from expenses like materials and costs, a part of the cost would be maintaining a Forge); this would be a flat amount and probably higher than the other method, but you can take your time.

2) Figure out what someone of the required Circle (it's safe to assume Rank = Circle) would want to be paid. You can take Circle training cost as a guideline, although that's for a longer time period than Item history takes.
Best kaer anywhere.

earcaraxe

Postby earcaraxe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:13 am

a circle-advancement takes "40 hours under a 3 week period". so a second circle adept charges 200 silvers for 40 hours of work, (5 silver per hour) when teaching, but charges 250 when forging a broad sword (3 days, 8 hours a day), 125 net income ==> about 5 silver per hour. wow. omg. im really impressed. (however training somebody cant be a failure, a forging or itemhistorying can, so its more a risky job)

i cant believe it u made this game's finances so consistent. many thanks for that.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:40 am

I've been trying to figure out how to align those two examples as well. I remember people asking similar questions on the old forum. Nice job, arma!

Does this align with what the Dwarf Houses pay their B'jados Adepts?

arma

Postby arma » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:00 am

Well, there's no reliable attempt made to strictly align all these sources of income or cost, since they all work different and represent something different anyway, and since different GMs will handle money differently in their campaigns.
If we had tried to do a single formula by which to pay adepts or anyone, we'd just have given you that (and we'd be required to give you something akin to a loot table as a suggestion at least).
The circle advancement cost table is just what we have, and so it can serve as a guideline for design and gamemastering without actually making a system of either cost of living or loot-equipment-correlations.
I'm not quite sure which of the three is preferable, I guess each of them would not work for any number of GMs.
Best kaer anywhere.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:11 am

The b'jados are payed 200 silver/month/circle (old throal book, pag 40, private army paragraph).

Return to “For Game Masters”