Elementalist spells - Element spear vs Liquid Arrow

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
freid
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Elementalist spells - Element spear vs Liquid Arrow

Postby freid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 am

Have a question about something that doesn't make alot of sense to me.

Element spear creates a spear of an element (let's say water) that you throw at someone. WIL + 7, range 12hex.
Liquid arrow creates an arrow of water that you throw at someone. WIL + 9, range 16hex.

Both are circle 4 spells.
I would assume an arrow would go further than a spear, but it's making more damage too ?
Also, having 2 different spells for a rather same effect but different stats is kinda hard to explained.

If you had the possibility of flexibility, meaning that you can choose on the spot your Element spear element (could be either Air-Earth-Fire-Water-Wood), i might be able to understand, but as the rule state : Each version of the Element Spear is learned separately, one for each element (p.166 player's guide 3d).

So the Element Spear [WATER] is useless.

Things to consider:
I would either put the Liquid Arrow spell something like the Arrow of Night (nether circle 2) but instead of giving a bonus of +8, you would switch the regular bow damage for WIL+9.
or
change the damage output to make the spear more powerful than the arrow, meaning the Liquid arrow would have WIL + 5. You get better range, but less damage.

I would also think about allowing any types of arrows. If you can make Element Spear, why not Element Arrows ? That being said, perhaps we should just scrap the concept entirely and just make a knack that would enable casters to tweak spells as such that you can reduce range to increase damage or reduce damage to increase range. But that again... this might not work.

Anyhow, I have the feeling that all the spells are made on the spot, without a design to support ideas. As if they were made independently of each other. But if it was made by a Spell Design matrix, I think this should be remodeled to avoid such inconsistencies.

arma

Re: Elementalist spells - Element spear vs Liquid Arrow

Postby arma » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:03 pm

Best kaer anywhere.

Return to “For Game Masters”