Blood oaths and depatterning

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
varrow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Blood oaths and depatterning

Postby varrow » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 am

I assume that the 4th Edition companion book will contain similar depatterning rules to those in the previous editions.

Can anyone point me out to me if there are any references to if repeated frequent use of blood oaths such as blood peace or blood promise can risk depatterning or if someone with an already weakened pattern makes a blood oath can it lead to negative affects. Or is depatterning only related to the use of blood charms?

kosmit

Re: Blood oaths and depatterning

Postby kosmit » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 am

I would say blood charms only.
Duvvelsheyss

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:09 pm

As of right now, there aren't any plans to include depatterning in the Companion.

While I think there is a good idea there, and a place in the game to reflect the dangers of blood magic, I've never been fond of the mechanics associated with depatterning. Something like that may appear in the future, but likely in a rather different form.

That said, if you're going to use it, I wouldn't have blood oaths affect it at all.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

varrow

Postby varrow » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:53 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Return to “For Game Masters”