2hex radius = 5hex diameter ??

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lortas
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

2hex radius = 5hex diameter ??

Postby lortas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 am

I am not very familiar with tabletop and hex calculation. In a discussion a friend want to convince me that a fireball with a radius of 2hexes will have a diameter of 5hexes on an hex-sheed.
The reasoning is: You locate the centre of a fireball on a hex field and the fireball covers this field and 2hexes in every direction. This will result in a diameter of (2+1+2=) 5 hexes. Is this reasoning correct? Or should a fireball always be centred on a edge of an hex field? Now the diameter would be 4 hexes.

arma

Re: 2hex radius = 5hex diameter ??

Postby arma » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 am

He's correct.
Best kaer anywhere.

lortas

Postby lortas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Okay, if I had read the PG first I haven't had to ask. PG.141 left column second paragraph.
But still strange for somebody not familiar with the hex layout. :)

Just for the records "1+1=2" is not true everywhere. ;)

Kremlin KOA

Postby Kremlin KOA » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:29 am

In the case of this fireball you are just dealing with very large values of 2.

Return to “For Players”