[Earthdawn 3] Karma use clarification needed

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Andraoi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[Earthdawn 3] Karma use clarification needed

Postby Andraoi » Tue May 20, 2014 5:26 am

Can anyone help me to understand and clarify how Karma works, please?

I'm still not sure when I can use it and when I cannot. The rulebook says, it can be used with Discipline Talent which requires a test; then it says I need to pay 1 Karma point and roll a d6. Most of those Talents have "Karma: 0" in description - that means I don't pay 1 Karma for "fueling" than Talent, but I still can pay 1 KP for use of the d6? And what about the Talents which have "Karma: 1" in their description? I need to pay 1 Karma Point to fuel it, and then do I have to pay 1 more KP for additional d6 to my dice pool?

It's really confusing, my thoughts are in a mess. Can anyone, please, explain it to me simple, like if I am three years old? :)

Lys

Re: [Earthdawn 3] Karma use clarification needed

Postby Lys » Tue May 20, 2014 6:27 am

You actually seem to have the right of it for the most part. To clarify, if a Talent is "Karma: No", and it's a Discipline Talent, then you can spend one karma to roll an extra d6. If a Talent is "Karma: Yes", then you have to spend one karma to activate it, but you do get to add an extra d6 to the roll provided there is a roll. You don't need to spend any extra karma for the d6, and in fact you're normally not allowed to spend more than one karma. Additionally, if a Talent is Karma: Yes, and a Discipline Talent, you can elect not to spend karma.

To put this in more concrete terms, take the basic Melee Weapons Talent, which has no strain cost and is Karma: No. If it's a Discipline Talent then you can spend 1 Karma Point to roll an extra d6 when you use it. If it's not a Discipline Talent, then you can't spend karma on it at all. Now take the Second Attack Talent, which is Karma: Yes. When a Warrior uses Second Attack, she can choose whether to spend the Karma Point or not, because it's a Discipline Talent for Warrior. If she does spend the Karma Point, then the Warrior gets to roll an extra d6 on her Second Attack Test. Now suppose that a human of some other Discipline, a Thief perhaps, learns Second Attack using Versatility. That means the talent isn't a Discipline Talent for him, so the Thief has to spend Karma every time he uses it, but he still gets that extra d6 on his Second Attack Test from spending that Karma.

Andraoi

Re: [Earthdawn 3] Karma use clarification needed

Postby Andraoi » Tue May 20, 2014 11:43 am

Thank you so much, Lys!!! You've really made my day :)

Return to “For Players”