Damage Shift Blood Magic

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lys
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Damage Shift Blood Magic

Postby Lys » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:11 am

I doubt that that death magic always ends badly, in fact it would be a wonder if it does so most of the time. There has to be some perception that it's not certain unavoidable doom or else people wouldn't do it. The Therans apparently make use of it, and they strike me as neither suicidal nor stupid, so they must have some means of ameliorating the risk such that the cost/benefit analysis comes out in their favour... or at least seems to come out in their favour. It could very well be the case that they're slowly bringing about their own doom with such practices, but it's so slow and subtle that they won't realize it until it's too late. That would be interesting.

Panda

Postby Panda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:35 am

Not every time, but all it takes is once. Using Death Magic is probably like any incredibly risky behavior - past victories give a sense that it will never happen to me. Despite all of the evidence smoking is terrible for you, people still smoke. Not a perfect analogy, but there it is. Therans have a lot of power, but wisdom has never been their thing. They pick fights with dragons, after all. It may be going well for now, but in the long run... well, that is another story. One that may go very wrong. Perhaps with a certain island slipping beneath the waves and only left as a legend.

Which is exactly the same kind of tale to be used for a Horror locked away with Death Magic. It sets up a scenario with a tragic sacrifice - one that was seemingly in vain because of how it was tainted. One the player characters must now fix, but they have some advantages. While the Horror now has a Name, Futility's Sacrifice, and is more powerful than ever, it also has a pattern and pattern items. All they need to do is find out what happened on that dreadful night. With that knowledge and its pattern items, they can actually stop it. For good this time.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Lys
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lys » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00 am

I think this answers the original question, then. Death Magic isn't viable as a regular combat strategy because you need an unresisting person upon which to use it, and using it gets you the attention of Horrors. Thank you for your time! ^.^

Return to “For Players”