Shamans and their fetishes

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Darculius
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Shamans and their fetishes

Postby Darculius » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:48 pm

so I'm reading right, that a shaman doesn't gain spells like other classes. They talk to spirits, make a fetish, and blam...said spell they want is now attuned to that fetish. The fetish is treated like the spell itself, their collection of little bone trinket voodoo dolls are their grimoire. Fine, cool. However, am I right in seeing that a 4th circle Shaman has 4 talents for Spell Fetish (1in Initiate Options, 1 in 1st Discipline, 2 in Novice Options). Now, while I can stomach this for the fetishes to be matrices in the fact that you can reattune them with another spell, I am again curious if you can and if not...do the shaman really get hosed that bad that at 4th circle they can only have 4 spells in their grimoire?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: Shamans and their fetishes

Postby Mataxes » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:26 pm

No, Shaman adepts can have as many spells in their Grimoire as any other magician. For all intents and purposes, their fetishes behave exactly like matrices in that they can only have a certain number of spells safely "locked and loaded". The way they learn their spells is different from the traditional magicians, but otherwise they work in much the same way.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Darculius

Re: Shamans and their fetishes

Postby Darculius » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:44 am

oh, I see. After reading and re-reading, they have two different types of fetishes. One, being Create Fetish...essentially their grimoire. The second is Spell Fetish, a magical blob that functions like a matrix. It was the specific sentence "Spells learned in this manner can be cast using raw magic, by attuning the fetish like a grimoire, or by attuning it to a Fetish Talent [see Spell Fetish, p.221) to cast it in a process identical to Matrix casting." -Namegivers of Barsaive pg. 219

Maybe rename his grimoire to be totems? Like...Create Totem and Spell Fetish.

Return to “For Players”