Demonworld version 3 – Armies – Categories: new or modified

Discussion on the Demonworld game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or miniatures.
popidus

Demonworld version 3 – Armies – Categories: new or modified

Postby popidus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:27 pm

“Demonworld version 3 – Armies – Categories: new or modified”
I put here all the propositions to modify categories with the suggestion to split some categories in Basic/Elite troops (cf. Arhanyel suggestions) or even Basic/Elite Heroes or regroup troops and Units in other categories.
As these suggestions can change many things and the discussion can be lengthy, I made a specific topic.

Look also to “Plan for new armies”...

Enjoy!
:roll:

PS: I'm a little tired so this topic is not complete, sorry...

I think that they is too many suggestions (31 pages of text !) and as I said before I think that we need to organize them.

So, I tried to take all suggestions, organizing them with Numbers and put them in specific topics for easier reference.

I hope that this will give you some ideas.
I will stress the fact that some ideas can be put in a box as “An option: …” or simply used as home rules.

Enjoy!
PS : I’m French so sorry for my English or to incorrectly put your ideas.

So, the topics:

"Demonworld version 3 – Rules Propositions (review of the main books)"
Purpose: to put all suggestions on the main books in the same order than them (cf. Arhanyel suggestions).
Some topics can be so important that you can add a new topic.

“Demonworld version 3 – Rules propositions – Summoning”
Summoning in Demonworld is very important and I have a lot of discussion with Arhanyel on that.
So, I create a specific topic on those suggestions.

“Demonworld version 3 – Armies – Rules”
I put here all the propositions to modify existing rules on armies, units…
(cf. Arhanyel suggestions).

“Demonworld version 3 – Armies – Categories: new or modified”
I put here all the propositions to modify categories with the suggestion to split some categories in Basic/Elite troops (cf. Arhanyel suggestions) or even Basic/Elite Heroes or regroup troops and Units in other categories.
As these suggestions can change many things and the discussion can be lengthy, I made a specific topic.

“Plan for new armies”
I put here all my propositions: South Kingdom, North Duchy, Beastmen army, Ice Witch army and Undead army.
You can add yours.
Principle for me:
- just a reorganization of armies using only existing unit.
- possibility to use them now in Demonworld version 2 as an house’ rule.

“New units planned ?”
Principles for me:
- use an existing miniature, unit or Hero, change only the Name, eventually the painting.
- possibility to use them now in Demonworld version 2 as a house’ rule.
- give the possibility to use miniatures.
It’s possible to use them now in Demonworld version 2 as an option.

I didn’t create these topics :

I had no time to review them...

"Demonworld version 3 – New/added background – New/Added illustrations"
Purpose: to treat all suggestions on this domain...
In my opinion, the 2nd edition Background is enough to play.
Perhaps, it will be good to have :
-a new map with all Demonworld’World
-New illustrations.
-a chronology…

"Demonworld version 3 – New way to play – No hexes"
I didn’t treat them except here:
3- Terrains - Maps : hexes are not hexes ? Materials ?
- Hexes are OK, to have more beautiful map : put marks like a X for the intersections not a complete hex.
- I like the principle of maps without anything and modulars Forests/Mountains etc to put on.
- Rigid map board : ok especially with maps with nothing on it but beware of the cost...

"Demonworld version 3 – New way to play – D20 or else ?"
I didn’t treat them...

=====================================================================================
GENERAL DISCUSSION/AIM.
=====================================================================================

A lot of units are that are powerful and/or rare/Unique are in basic categories.
=> The topic aim of this topic is to find a way to limit the recruitment of these troups.

As an added problem, some heroes are likely powerful and/or rare/Unique and in the same category.
Some Heroes have also connections with some units.
=> The aim of this topic is to find a way to separate basic and elite unit/heroes and regroup Heroes with the same kind of Units.

Some armies are composed without real basic Units.

The aim of this topic is to find a way to separate basic and elite unit/heroes and regroup Heroes with the same kind of Units.

Be careful:
One of the problem that can arise is that more categories means more complexity and less liberty in the choice of armies.

=> Popidus opinion: more Categories are better than more restrictions.

EXISTING CATEGORIES.

Elf organization:
Some heroes (i.e. Kelah the Unicorn) are linked to units (Unicorn Riders).
A second unit of these units can only be taken if this hero is taken.

Thain organization:
Basic unit are all regrouped in the Warriors category.
Each of them must be linked with a Clan.
Then Elite unit are regrouped by Clan with Heroes pertaining to these clans and a cascade of limitations on the number:
-One Veteran Clan unit if you have One Warrior unit of the same clan.
-One Hero of the Clan (moreover unique Heroes) in each Clan that can be taken only if there’s a Veteran Clan unit.

Others.
Another way to restrict the use of certain Units or Heroes are to make them Unique.

DEFINITIONS

Definition of an Elite Unit are Elite Hero:
-Powerful: Cost of 200+.
And/or
-Rare or Unique.

Definition of an Elite Hero:
-Powerful: Cost of 100+.
And/or
-Rare or Unique.

CATEGORIES.

Some suggestions of the new categories can be:

-Dark Elves - Warriors:
Basic Warriors: min 15 max 50 % for Warriors, Warriors with Spear, Crossbowmen, Mounted Crossbowmen...
Option -1 - Elite Warriors for Dar Kalons, Mounted Scouts and Ballista: min 0 max 30%.
Option -2 - Elite Infantry for Dar Kalons, Mounted Scouts and Ballista: one for each Basic Unit.
Basic Hero:
Linked Hero:
Elite Hero:

-Dwarves:
Basic Unit: min 15 max 50 % for Warriors, Warriors in armour, Bombardier, Crossbowmen, Arquebusiers.
Option -1 - Elite Units: min 0 max 30% for Pony Riders, Veteran Warriors, Veteran Warriors in armour, Guards.
Option -2 - Elite Infantry for Pony Riders, Veteran Warriors, Veteran Warriors in armour, Guards: one for each Basic Unit.
Basic Hero:
Linked Hero:
Elite Hero:

-Empire – Provincial Units:
Basic Unit: min 15 max 50 % for Warriors, Warriors in armour, Crossbowmen, Pikemen.
Elite Units: min 0 max 30% for Pony Riders, Veteran Warriors, Veteran Warriors in armour, Guards,
Option -2 - Elite Infantry: one for each Basic Unit.
Basic Hero:
Linked Hero:
Elite Hero:

-Ishtak - Beastmen:
Basic Unit: min 15 max 50 % for Beastmen with handweapons, Beastmen with spears, Beastmen in armour and Polar Bears.
Elite Units: min 0 max 30% for Snow Trolls, Beastmen Berserkers, Brothers of the Icelord,
Basic Hero:
Linked Hero:
Elite Hero:

-Ishtak - Undead:
Basic Unit: min 15 max 50 % for Skeletons, Skeletons Archers, Skeletons with Spears, Mounted Skeletons, Zombies
Option -1 - Elite Unit for Death Knights, perhaps Skeletons with Syckles… and Mummies (?): min 0 max 30%
Option -2 - Elite Unit for Death Knights, perhaps Skeletons with Syckles… and Mummies (?): one for each Basic Unit.
Basic Hero:
Linked Hero:
Elite Hero:

-Goblin - Infantry:
Basic Infantry: min 15 max 50 % for Warriors, Archers, Running Spears, Desert Stalkers, War Turtles, Spider Hunters...
Option -1 - Elite Infantryfor Trollbins, Mutants, Cave Fighters, Young Brothers: min 0 max 30%
Option -2 - Elite Infantry for Trollbins, Mutants, Cave Fighters, Young Brothers: one for each Basic Unit.
Basic Hero: included in the Basic Infantry category AND Heroes and Commanders Total.
Linked Hero:
XXX can be present only if Desert Stalkers are present. A second unit of Desert Stalkers can only be taken if XXX is present.
XXX can be present only if War Turtles are present. A second unit of War Turtles can only be taken if XXX is present.
XXX can be present only if Spider Hunters are present. A second unit of Spider Hunters can only be taken if XXX is present.
They count as Basic Infantry category AND Heroes and Commanders Total
Elite Hero:

-Goblin - Giant Insects:

Basic Giant Insect: min 15 max 40% for Uncroid,
Option -1 - Elite Giant Insect for Grancroid, Horridus, Gargantoid: min 0 max 30%
Option -2 - Elite Infantry for Grancroid, Horridus, Gargantoid: one for each Basic Unit.
Basic Hero:
Linked Hero:
Elite Hero:

Related problems treated in the “Modification of existing Units”:
Dark Elves Mounted Scout: they seems quite powerful
Option 1: increase the cost of the Scouts
Option 2: make the Scouts unable to modify the battlefield

Dark Elves Ballista: they seems quite powerful
Decrease the Ballista's power.

Return to “Product Discussion”