Demonworld version 3 – Rules Propositions (main books)

Discussion on the Demonworld game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or miniatures.
popidus

Postby popidus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:12 pm

PURPOSE:

I try to put all suggestions on the Main books in the same order than them.

Some topics can be so important that you can add a new topic, like I did for "SUMMONING", especially these one:
"IX.II.1. LEADERS FOR HERD AND PACK UNITS: THE DROVER."
XX- MAGIC

I add some suggestions on Recruitment cards at he end of this topic.

See other topics as well:

I think that they is too many suggestions (31 pages of text !) and as I said before I think that we need to organize them.

So, I tried to take all suggestions, organizing them with Numbers and put them in specific topics for easier reference.

I hope that this will give you some ideas.
I will stress the fact that some ideas can be put in a box as “An option: …” or simply used as home rules.

Enjoy! :wave:
PS : I’m French so sorry for my English or to incorrectly put your ideas.

Organization of the topics:

"Demonworld version 3 – Rules Propositions (review of the main books)"
Purpose: to put all suggestions on the main books in the same order than them (cf. Arhanyel suggestions).
Some topics can be so important that you can add a new topic.

“Demonworld version 3 – Rules propositions – Summoning”
Summoning in Demonworld is very important and I have a lot of discussion with Arhanyel on that.
So, I create a specific topic on those suggestions.

“Demonworld version 3 – Armies – Rules”
I put here all the propositions to modify existing rules (cf. Arhanyel suggestions).

“Demonworld version 3 – Armies – Categories: new or modified”
I put here all the propositions to modify categories with the suggestion to split some categories in Basic/Elite troops (cf. Arhanyel suggestions) or even Basic/Elite Heroes or regroup troops and Units in other categories.
As these suggestions can change many things and the discussion can be lengthy, I made a specific topic.

“Plan for new armies”
I put here all my propositions: South Kingdom, North Duchy, Beastmen army, Ice Witch army and Undead army.
You can add yours.
Principle for me:
- just a reorganization of armies using only existing unit.
- possibility to use them now in Demonworld version 2 as an house’ rule.

“New units planned ?”
Principles for me:
- use an existing miniature, unit or Hero, change only the Name, eventually the painting.
- possibility to use them now in Demonworld version 2 as a house’ rule.
- give the possibility to use miniatures.
It’s possible to use them now in Demonworld version 2 as an option.

I didn’t create these topics :

I had no time to review them...

"Demonworld version 3 – New/added background – New/Added illustrations"
Purpose: to treat all suggestions on this domain...
In my opinion, the 2nd edition Background is enough to play.
Perhaps, it will be good to have :
-a new map with all Demonworld’World
-New illustrations.
-a chronology…

"Demonworld version 3 – New way to play – No hexes"
I didn’t treat them except here:
3- Terrains - Maps : hexes are not hexes ? Materials ?
- Hexes are OK, to have more beautiful map : put marks like a X for the intersections not a complete hex.
- I like the principle of maps without anything and modulars Forests/Mountains etc to put on.
- Rigid map board : ok especially with maps with nothing on it but beware of the cost...

"Demonworld version 3 – New way to play – D20 or else ?"
I didn’t treat them...

==========================================================================================
BASIC RULES.
==========================================================================================

I- INTRODUCTION.

II- ATTRIBUTE.

III- ACTIONS

IV- SHOOTING

]V- MOVEMENT

Movement -1 – Splitting elements.
“In any cases, a player can’t split a unit on purpose except when the unit is in fact composed of independent elements (like Harpies…)”.
=> Popidus’s opinion: to clarify this point.

VI. MELEE

Melee -1 - Frontal attack against pikes -1 – Suppress this paragraph.
“Frontal attack against pikes. This factor only applies if pike elements are attacked from their own front hexes. There is no reduction when attacking a pike element from the element’s flank or rear. Instead, such an attack profits from the increased +2 and +4 factors following in the table. In contrast to the initiative increase of a pike element that applies in the first turn of a melee only, this factor applies in all turns of a melee.

And suppress this line:
–1, if attacking pikes from their front hexes

=> Popidus’s opinion: to simplify the combat.

VII- THE FIRST GAME

INTERMEDIATE RULES.

VIII- INTRODUCTION

VIII.1.1. Hit points.

Hit points -1 - Regeneration -1 : harmonize the rules of regeneration.
There are 3 types of regeneration : Trolls (Orks units), Hugen (Dwarf Earth’ Wizard level 3) and Blood Chalice (Dark elf Artifact).
=> Popidus’s opinion: a lot of discussion on this topic, personally, I think the troll’s regeneration is too powerful.

IX. SPECIAL FIGURES.

Special figures -1 - Musician -1: suppress the maneuver bonus and add 1 to the maneuver score for Units which have a Musician (i.e. 1 is now 2 maneuvers…).
“If, and as long as, a unit has a musician, the unit may make one more maneuver per movement phase than stated on the recruitment card.
In the Basic Game, all units had two maneuvers regardless of what was printed on the recruitment card. Note that now the actual number of maneuvers appearing on the recruitment card applies.
Example: A unit with a musician which, according to the recruitment card, is allowed to make one maneuver per movement phase, will in fact have two maneuvers as long as the musician element is in play. This increases movement abilities only slightly, but makes the unit more flexible when executing maneuvers like formation changes, turns, or wheels.”

Popidus’s opinion: to greatly simplify the combat.
Option : add 10 to the unit cost to reflect the new maneuver score (very important for Elf, Dwarf and Empire Units).

Special figures -2 - Leader -1 : suppression of this paragraph.
“A leader element fights in melee with a battle factor increased by 1.”

Special figures -3- Standard bearers -1: suppression of this paragraph.
“A standard bearer element fights in melee with a battle factor increased by 1.”

Special figures -4 Leader for Herd and Pack Units: the Drover.
=> Popidus’s opinion: to unify the rules and make them more real. A lot of discussion is possible…
See the specific topic…

Add this kind of paragraph:

IX.II.1. LEADERS FOR HERD AND PACK UNITS: THE DROVER.

Herds are composed with Herbivore Animals (like Bulls).
Pack are composed with Carnivorous Animal (like Bears or Wolves).
A Unit of this type has a special leader and can’t be joined by a Hero, Commander or Wizard.
Packs and Units can never be splitted: they will try to regroup as soon as possible.

Leaderless Pack/Herds.
An Herd or Pack may ONLY receive orders from its drover; no commander may join the unit or give it any orders within his command radius. Should the drover be slain, the unit no longer has a leader.
A leaderless Pack will continue an ongoing melee.
For a leaderless Pack that is not or no longer engaged in melee, you must roll 1D6 in each order phase. If you score a ‘1’, the unit has a Hold order, ‘2’ results in the unit having an Attack order, ‘3’ means a Skirmish order, ‘4’ means a Move order, ‘5’ or ‘6’ enables you to choose an order. On a‘6’ one of the element is retired of the game.
A leaderless Herd or Pack that has a Move order will rout and will never back.
A leaderless Herd that has a Skirmish or Hold order will stay where it is without moving. The herd will use 1 maneuver to regroup as much as possible.
A leaderless Pack that has a Hold order will stay where it is without moving. The pack will use 1 maneuver to regroup as much as possible.
A leaderless Herd or Pack that has a Charge order will become impetuous.
A leaderless Pack that is impetuous will try to attack the NEAREST Unit or Commander with the less number of elements. The Pack will only attack if it has more Element than is target. He will attack even a friendly Unite or Commander. He will not attack Behemoths or War Machines.
These options are the same as those of other impetuous units with the exception that a Bull Herd without a leader even has to attack a friendly element if this is actually the nearest one. Please note that an impetuous unit attacks in each melee phase with an initiative increased by 2.
After destroying its opponent and if it is not in a combat, the Herd/Pack will stay and will lose its impetuous state. The next turn, roll the dice to see the Herd/Pack (see the beginning of the paragraph).
The leaderless Pack/Herd will get its charge bonus only applies if the Pack/Herd is impetuous.
If a Pack/Herd that is not impetuous is brought into melee by enemy movement, or if it attacks the enemy with a Skirmish order, the herd therefore does not benefit from this bonus.
If a Pack/Herd that is not impetuous suffers any casualties, it does not heed these as long as the leader is still with the unit, and it automatically routs if it has lost its leader. A routed Pack/Herd is marked with a rout marker and cannot be rallied.
This situation may occur if the Pack/Herd are shot at or attacked before an Attack marker has been laid out for the unit. If such a Pack/Herd loses the element with its leader and another element in the same melee phase of a given turn, this will also automatically cause the herd to rout.

Reference:

Wolf Pack (Unit)
An Orc army may only include a Wolf Pack if it was fielded by the Animal Clan or is commanded by one of Clanngett’s deputies.
A Wolf Pack consists of one element with the drover mounted on a Giant Wolf and nine ordinary elements with two Giant Wolves each. The element with the drover has a size of 3; the Giant Wolves have a size of 2. The drover is the unit’s leader. The Giant Wolves attack with their bite, battle factor 10. For purposes of simplification, the drover’s weaponry is not taken into account; however, the element attacks in melee with the usual leader bonus of +1.
A Wolf Pack is not subject to ANY of the morale rules and therefore never needs to take a morale test. The unit will never rout nor can it become impetuous, and is always treated as having passed any morale tests.
A Wolf Pack may ONLY receive orders from its drover; no commander may join the unit or give it any orders within his command radius. Should the drover be slain, the unit no longer has a leader.
A leaderless Wolf Pack will continue an ongoing melee. For a leaderless Wolf Pack that is not or no longer engaged in melee, you must roll 1D6 in each order phase. If you score a ‘1’, the unit has a Hold order, ‘2’ results in the unit having an Attack order, ‘3’ means a Skirmish order, ‘4’ means a Move order, and a ‘5’ or ‘6’ enables you to choose an order.
A Wolf Pack cannot start fires.
To recruit a Wolf Pack, you need one DEMONWORLD pack 4021.

Bull Herd (Unit)
The Bull Herds are another specialty of the East Mark. A Bull Herd consists of 7 elements with two bulls each and one element with one bull and the drover, who is mounted on a horse. The bulls have a size-value of 2, the element with the drover has a size-value of 3. Even if a horde of angry bulls should, within certain limits, have the ability to ‘overrun’, we have decided not to give this ability to a Bull Herd within these rules, since resolving an overrun attack by a unit would slow down the game considerably, and would lead to a number of rules problems. Instead, a Bull Herd has a respectable charge bonus that has a similar effect.
The herd’s drover is the ‘unit’s’ leader. A Bull Herd may only receive orders from its drover; no commander may join the unit or give it any orders within his command radius. A Bull Herd is not subject to any of the morale rules.
The first Attack order in a game that is laid out for a Bull Herd AUTOMATICALLY counts as an ‘impetuous’ marker.
Lay out the ‘impetuous’ marker face down in the order phase, as every other order marker. As long as the drover remains with the herd, you may therefore control it as every other unit using the order markers. Once the herd has been given an Attack order, however, it automatically becomes impetuous and remains in this state for the rest of the game as it is not subject to the morale rules.
An impetuous Bull Herd with a leader always has to attack the NEAREST ENEMY element. An impetuous Bull Herd that has lost its leader always has to attack the NEAREST element.
These options are the same as those of other impetuous units with the exception that a Bull Herd without a leader even has to attack a friendly element if this is actually the nearest one. Please note that an impetuous unit attacks in each melee phase with an initiative increased by 2.
A Bull Herd’s charge bonus only applies if the herd is impetuous.
If a Bull Herd that is not impetuous is brought into melee by enemy movement, or if it attacks the enemy with a Skirmish order, the herd therefore does not benefit from this bonus.
If a Bull Herd that is not impetuous suffers any casualties, it does not heed these as long as the leader is still with the unit, and it automatically routs if it has lost its leader. A routed Bull Herd is marked with a rout marker and cannot be rallied.
This situation may occur if the bulls are shot at or attacked before an Attack marker has been laid out for the unit. If such a Bull Herd loses the element with its leader and another element in the same melee phase of a given turn, this will also automatically cause the herd to rout.
A Bull Herd (whether impetuous or not) is not allowed to attack Minotaurs.
Minotaurs are described in the DEMONWORLD army book on Orcs. Therefore, a unit of Minotaurs is simply disregarded when deciding which is the ‘nearest element’.
A Bull Herd cannot start fires.
To recruit a Bull Herd you need one DEMONWORLD pack 4124.

X. COMMANDERS.

Commanders -1 - Army leader -1 :
All armies need a commander with at least 2 stars.
=> Popidus’s opinion: He represents the army leader.

XI- TERRAIN.

XII. SHOOTING.

Shooting -1 - calculation -1 : simplify the calculation system for visible segments.
Prerequisite : a shooting element can shoot on an enemy if he sea a enenmy.
Option 1: go back to Demonworld version 1.
Option 2: Size 1 element (Little) : -1 for the shooting element.
Size 2-3 element (Normal) with no cover : +0 for the shooting element.
Size 4-6 element (Big) with no cover : +1 for the shooting element.
Size 7+ element (Very big) with no cover : +2 for the shooting element.
Partial cover : -1 on this bonus (Size 1 element can’t be shooted).
Option 3: …
=> Popidus’s opinion: the system is very complex and difficult for beginners. Perhaps a specific topic is neede.

XIII. FORMATION.

Formation -1 - Add a paragraph “XIII.--.--. ‘Units’ composed with independent” elements”
=> Popidus’s opinion: to unify all the rules for these kind of specific Units (Dwarves : Forward Observers, Orks : Harpies…).

XIV. MELEE.

Melee -1 - Pikes -1 – Suppress the malus that a unit get when it fight against the Pikemen on is front.
“–1, if attacking pikes from their front hexes”

Melee -2 - A Second attack in melee -1: clarification.
A SECOND ATTACK IN MELEE -1 : add this kind of example to explain multiple combats with heroes and units.
Example : combat between orcs with the order “Charge” against elves with the order “Skirmish”.
The Orc Hero has a global Initiative of 5 with a basic Initiative 3 +2 for the order.
Each element of the Troll unit has a total initiative of 3 with a base of 1 +2 for the order.
The Elf Hero on horse with Lance has a total Initiative of 6 with a base of 4 +2 for the order +1 Lance in the 1st turn.
The Elf unit has a total initiative of 4 with a base of 3 +1 for the order.
The Elf Hero can get a critical attack on the Orc Hero and the Troll.
The Orc Hero can get a critical attack on the elements of the Elf Unit, if he’s not in contact with the Elf Hero..
The Elf Unit’s element can get a critical attack against a Troll, if he’s not in contact with the Orc Hero.
The Trolls’ elements are the last to get an attack, if they survive and can’t get a critical attack.

A schema will be very useful here.
=> Popidus’s opinion: to explain this situation.

XV. MORALE.

Morale -1 – Impetuous Units.
- Impetuous units should have more disadvantages (maybe only one manoeuver allowed).
=> Popidus’s opinion: no opinion.

XVI. BATTLES.

ADVANCED RULES.

XVII. LARGE MONSTERS.

XVII.6.5. Combat.

Large Monsters -1 - Giant in melee -1 : for humanoid giants with a two arms weapon (like Myrlak).

Instead of :
“A Giant equipped with a double-handed weapon may attack one of the two foremost front hexes in melee with an initiative reduced by 1 in the first turn of melee (only).”

Read :
“A giant equipped with a double-handed weapon may attack one of the four front hexes in melee with an initiative reduced by 1 in the first turn of melee (only).”

Also instead of:
Example 2: A Giant with a ‘CLUB (both hands) 14’ may only attack one element on one of his foremost front hexes per melee phase.

Read:
Example 2: A Giant with a ‘CLUB (both hands) 14’ may attack one element on one of his four front hexes per melee phase.
=> Popidus’s opinion: simple logic and coherency with the shooting ark of the rock giant (Dwarf army).

Large Monsters -2 - Giant in melee -2: melee attack for the rock giant of the Dwarf army.
A Giant equipped with a rock as a shooting weapon can use this rock like a melee weapon to attack an adjacent foe with a base number equal to his size.
=> Popidus’s opinion: simple logic, the Giant will strike his opponent with it (cf. rock giant (Dwarf army)).

XVII.7.0 DRAGONS.

Large Monsters -3 - Title : Instead of “XVII.7.0 DRAGONS” read “XVII.7.0 DRAGONS AND WYVERNS”.

Large Monsters -4 - Dragons or Wyverns in combat -1 : for 4 cases monsters with a head, two arms and a tail.
Instead of :
“A bite attack may be directed at one of the two foremost front hexes”.

Read of :
“A bite attack may be directed at one of the four foremost front hexes”.

=> Popidus’s opinion: simple logic and coherency with the breathing ark of the head.

Large Monsters -5 - Add a “XVII.8.0. LARGE MONSTERS OF TWO ELEMENTS” paragraph with the movement and attacks of these kind of monsters that appears in the Goblin’s, the Thain’s and Dark elf armies.
=> Popidus’s opinion: a common rule for many kind of monsters.

XVIII. CHARIOTS.

XIX- ARTILLERY

XX- MAGIC.

XX.3.0. Wizards.

Magic -1 - Army leader -2: The army leader can be a Wizard of level 3.
=> Popidus’s opinion: as level 3 Wizards are very rare and powerful (and costly) it gives a player the opportunity to give him the leadership of an army.

Magic -2 - Wizard in a Unit -1 : addition.
Add a paragraph :
“If a Wizard has no stars the player can place it where he wants in the unit (not always in the front). The unit still comply with organization rules. If the Wizard doesn’t move or change is orientation he can restore is magical points”.
=> Popidus’s opinion: with this rule the Wizard can be protected and can still use his spells to boost the unit. He can also that is only here

Magic -3 - Wizard in a Unit -2 : more addition:
“If the Wizard doesn’t move or change his orientation he can restore is magical points”.
Or instead:
“If the Wizard doesn’t move or change his orientation he can restore is magical points if no Unit’s elements move (this movement troubles the Wizard’s concetration). The Unit’s elements can make a reorientation”.
=> Popidus’s opinion: there can also be added as Optional rules in a Box.

Magic -4 - Unit with a level of magic -1 :
Add a paragraph “XX.3.-- Unit with a level of magic” on these kind of units in the main rules to unify the rules (Empire : Druid coven, Goblins : Young disciples, …).
=> Popidus’s opinion: to unify the rules.

Magic -5 - Modification “Spells Gone Wrong” rules -1
Instead of
“10–13 The wizard has unintentionally opened a gate to another dimension which soaks up magic energy; he immediately loses all of his SPs. The element cannot cast spells for the remainder of the game and will have to rely on his MPs, his armour or available weapons for survival.”

Read ;
“10–13 The wizard has unintentionally opened a gate to another dimension which soaks up magic energy; he immediately loses all of his SPs. If he is a first level wizard, the element cannot cast spells for the remainder of the game and will have to rely on his MPs, his armour or available weapons for survival. If he is a second or more level wizard, the element lose one level.”
Popidus’s opinion: to lessen this consequence to costly characters.

Magic -6 - Modification/Optional rule -2: “Spells Gone Wrong” rules -3
Add this new rule XX.4.--. Optional rule on “Spells Gone Wrong”.
“A spell goes wrong for a wizard’s of level 2 or more on only a 1 on the D20.”
=> Popidus’s opinion: Can be added as an optional rule in a Box.
=> Popidus’s opinion: You can use this rule or even suppress this hazard if you want to lessen the random side of the game.

Magic -7 - Modification/Optional rule “Invocation spell Gone Wrong” rules -2
An invocation spell that goes wrong use this table.
Spells Gone Wrong for invocations:
1 The spell has really gone wrong. The wizard disappears into another dimension in a discharge of arcane energy that is spectacular to watch. Remove the element from the battlefield.
2–5 The wizard cannot control the released magic energies, and these recoil on him. The invocation appears as .
6–9 The arcane energy gets out of control, discharging in the hex that contains the wizard and the six adjacent hexes. Roll 1D20 for the wizard and for each element in contact with him. If the result is the total number of SPs expended or less, the element affected suffers one hit.
10–13 The arcane energy gets out of control, the invocation is a success but the invocation is out of control.
14–17 Like the previous entry, except that the invocation is really upset by the wizard and wants to kill him. It passes on the control of the adversary.

18–20 The shock of misdirected magic energy hits the wizard. The element cannot cast spells in this and the next two turns, but can otherwise act normally. Recovering SPs is not possible during this time.

=> Popidus’s opinion: there can also be added as Optional rules in a Box. This can be very fun for battles between these armies: dark elves, Thain and Ishtak.

RECRUITMENT CARDS.

Recruitment card 1: Add the mention “Cavalry” or “Infantry” or “Artillery” or “Behemoth” or “Chariot o Artillery” on the Recruitment card under type “Unit”.
=> Popidus’s opinion: for easier reference against weapons like Lances, Spears.

Recruitment card 2: Add the mention “Unique” on the RC under type “Unit” or “Heroes”…
=> Popidus’s opinion: for easier reference.

Recruitment card 3: Artifact. Add the mention “Unique” on the RC under type “Unit” or “Heroes”…
=> Popidus’s opinion: for easier reference.

Recruitment card 4: Artifact. Add the mention “Discard after use” on the RC under the name…
=> Popidus’s opinion: for easier reference to replace the mention and add the value of the card at the end of the game.

Arhnayel

Re: Demonworld version 3 – Rules Propositions (main books)

Postby Arhnayel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:37 am

Popidus wrote:Regeneration -1 : harmonize the rules of regeneration.
There are 3 types of regeneration : Trolls (Orks units), Hugen (Dwarf Earth’ Wizard level 3) and Blood Chalice (Dark elf Artifact).
=> Popidus’s opinion: a lot of discussion on this topic, personally, I think the troll’s regeneration is too powerful.

Different rules for different regen abilities. Trolls aren't too powerful : their regen is counterbalanced by their low init' and armour values.

Popidus wrote:Special figures -1 - Musician -1: suppress the maneuver bonus and add 1 to the maneuver score for Units which have a Musician (i.e. 1 is now 2 maneuvers…).

And what of Musicians killed in combat ? The unit keeps its manoeuver ? I disagree.

Popidus wrote:A leaderless Herd or Pack that has a Move order will rout and will never back.
A leaderless Herd that has a Skirmish or Hold order will stay where it is without moving. The herd will use 1 maneuver to regroup as much as possible.
A leaderless Pack that has a Hold order will stay where it is without moving. The pack will use 1 maneuver to regroup as much as possible.
A leaderless Herd or Pack that has a Charge order will become impetuous.

Yeah... a lucky arrow in the leader, an unlucky D6 roll for the next order and... oooh look all those wolves running the tail between the legs ! And all the other things writtend only add confusions when playing packs.

Popidus wrote:Army leader -1 : All armies need a commander with at least 2 stars.
=> Popidus’s opinion: He represents the army leader.

And what else will do the army leader ? Basically, all armies must recruit a ** general (save Isthak because of its a regroupment of differents races... but we could have the "** general recruitement" obligatory, it won't change much).

Popidus wrote:Calculation -1 : simplify the calculation system for visible segments.
Prerequisite : a shooting element can shoot on an enemy if he sea a enenmy.
Option 1: go back to Demonworld version 1.
Option 2: Size 1 element (Little) : -1 for the shooting element.
Size 2-3 element (Normal) with no cover : +0 for the shooting element.
Size 4-6 element (Big) with no cover : +1 for the shooting element.
Size 7+ element (Very big) with no cover : +2 for the shooting element.
Partial cover : -1 on this bonus (Size 1 element can’t be shooted).
Option 3: …
=> Popidus’s opinion: the system is very complex and difficult for beginners. Perhaps a specific topic is neede.

If we apply your idea, we need to change the armour values of behemoths, clarify the "partially covered" for great sizes (4+)... and I see that Dwarves and Goblins will be harder to shoot. The actual system is pretty simple : just add half the size to the power (rounded to the inferior). Complications only come when elements are partially hiding / covering in terrain or behind other elements.

Popidus wrote:Giant in melee -1 : for humanoid giants with a two arms weapon (like Myrlak).[...]Dragons or Wyverns in combat -1 : for 4 cases monsters with a head, two arms and a tail.

Let me recall you that giants (and behemoths in general) are not used like heroes. They are used for their overrung attack and their "tanking" abilities, not for the damages they can cause in melee. Melee for them are just to gain the initiative in the "regroup-move" allowing them to leave the fight to perform an overrun (or a breathe attack for dragons). Giving them more targetting hexes will make them much stronger and unbalance the game.

Popidus wrote:Army leader -2: The army leader can be a Wizard of level 3.
=> Popidus’s opinion: as level 3 Wizards are very rare and powerful (and costly) it gives a player the opportunity to give him the leadership of an army.

Magic -2 - Wizard in a Unit -1 : addition.
Add a paragraph :
“If a Wizard has no stars the player can place it where he wants in the unit (not always in the front). The unit still comply with organization rules. If the Wizard doesn’t move or change is orientation he can restore is magical points”.
=> Popidus’s opinion: with this rule the Wizard can be protected and can still use his spells to boost the unit. He can also that is only here

Magic -3 - Wizard in a Unit -2 : more addition:
“If the Wizard doesn’t move or change his orientation he can restore is magical points”.
Or instead:
“If the Wizard doesn’t move or change his orientation he can restore is magical points if no Unit’s elements move (this movement troubles the Wizard’s concetration). The Unit’s elements can make a reorientation”.

Please, respect the spirit of the game ! Sorcerers are not meant to be commanders (save some special characters) and therefore, they can't lead the army and aren't meant to join a unit during a fight. Ok, they can join a unit to be protected (surrounded by friends) but they will weaken the unit and they will lose their own mobility. Actual rules are excellent this way : the Sorcerer cannot rest if any of the unit's elements move, they must be in front of the unit etc. A good Sorcerer is either behind the lines to boost and buff his allies (and he doesn't need any guards if you place your units well), either in front of your army to cause damages to or unbuff the enemies (like a Firemage). Just play your Sorcerers carefully.

Popidus wrote:Modification “Spells Gone Wrong” rules -1

I disagree with these propositions. The Sorcerer's level modifies the score of the D20 when rolling for the side effect of a spell. A lvl 3 cannot die and cannot lose all its SP and that's why he is so precious and espensive. A lvl 2 cannot die and have less risks to lose all its SP.

And for your "summoning gone wrong"... I know you dislike summonings but they're part of the game. A failure when summoning already results in a disadvantage for the Sorcerer (nothing summoned and maybe a critical side effect). Adding the risk of having an uncontrolled summoning trying to kill the Sorcerer is just too much !

Please remind we're not playing D&D.
The Blessing of Stars' eternal
Although the Knight remains mortal.

popidus

Re: Demonworld version 3 – Rules Propositions (main books)

Postby popidus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:19 am

As I said before I give suggestions to be taken or left by the Devlopers as there are or as simple ideas, or for the players as home rules...
:D :idea:

I will answer to this one :

And for your "summoning gone wrong"... A failure when summoning already results in a disadvantage for the Sorcerer (nothing summoned and maybe a critical side effect). Adding the risk of having an uncontrolled summoning trying to kill the Sorcerer is just too much !

As I said before :
- Summoning is a very important thing in Demonworld.
-It can be too powerful sometimes so this rule is just ther to reduce the power of Summoning.
- This proposition is intended to be put as an option notably to have more fun when 2 armies with a lot of summoners are in play...

Return to “Product Discussion”